Which Provider

WiFi, or phone

doublehappy
Subject:

Which Provider

· 
Posted: 29.03.2013  ·  #1
Last year we toured the northern USA and Canada, and to get connected on my lap top, I bought a Virgin mobile (Sierra Wireless) device, which picked up a signal from the mobile phone system, I think. It plugged into the USB port on my lap top and they connected it up, at the shop where I bought it. It then cost me US$ 55 per month, (buy top up cards from supermarkets) for unlimited 4G, which was available in the big cities and I had 50 Gig, (I think), of 3G, which I never ran out of. I used Skype for making phone calls and this all seemed to work out OK. Mobile phone reception is no where near 100% in the US, more like 25%. When staying in state parks etc, there was none. It is a very big place, I guess.

This year I have bought a motorhome in England, and intend to tour Ireland and the UK during our winter (I am a Kiwi). What is the best method for me to connect to a similar system in UK, and what equipment will I need? What results can I expect, at camp grounds, or any free camping places we might use?

Next year we will probably go to Europe as well.

Colin

Ally
Founder
Homepage: motorhomecraic.com
My Motorhome: Lunar Roadstar 780
Base Vehicle: Fiat 2.8 JTD
Subject:

Re: Which Provider

· 
Posted: 01.04.2013  ·  #2
For campsites you would be best with a USB WIfI aerial for your laptop which would extend your signal on your laptop to get a good signal.

Out and about you are going to need a UK dongle and an Irish Dongle, the roaming rates with a UK dongle in Ireland are quite high and not long adding up.

You could just use the WiFi aerial and purchase WIFi access from BTopenworld/FON (not sure if there is an Irish equivalent?) or the many other that you will find, but of course you will not receive this in remote places.

Selected quotes for multi-quoting:   0

Registered users in this topic

Currently no registered users in this section

The statistic shows who was online during the last 5 minutes. Updated every 90 seconds.