tony glenn
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Rimor Europeo
Base Vehicle: Ford Transit
Subject:

Solar Success!

· 
Posted: 20.07.2020  ·  #1
Just back from six nights at Ardmore, and the first real test of our new solar panels. It's a suitcase type 80 watt set up, and despite having read great reviews I was anxious as to what would happen.
The weather all week was mixed, but the panels were out from about 10am to 9pm each day. The voltage read-out on the regulator box showed between 12.9 and 14.1 all day every day. At night we were sensible, the Cello low current tv on from about 8 to 11, lights only when needed.
The read-out never fell below 12.4 overnight, and was back up in no time each morning. We've never managed more than two nights before the panels, so we're delighted.
I'm thinking now of upping the wattage, either trading up what we have, or maybe just buying in 100/120 watt panel for the roof and wiribg it in parallel to the regulator. (Can that be done?)
Anyway, bottom line is that even an 80 watt set-up works over six nights off-grid if you're careful!

The Rambler
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle: Vauxhall Movano 2.5 CDTI
Subject:

Re: Solar Success!

· 
Posted: 20.07.2020  ·  #2
Great to hear about your success .

Quote by tony glenn

I'm thinking now of upping the wattage, either trading up what we have, or maybe just buying in 100/120 watt panel for the roof and wiribg it in parallel to the regulator. (Can that be done?)

Yes you can. But if wiring another panel in parallel be sure it is of the same voltage rating as your existing one. The wattage ratings can be different.

Selected quotes for multi-quoting:   0

Registered users in this topic

Currently no registered users in this section

The statistic shows who was online during the last 5 minutes. Updated every 90 seconds.