Jamesd
Craic'er
My Motorhome: Champ Lunar 670A
Base Vehicle: 2004 Ducatto
Subject:

Campervan awning

· 
Posted: 05.08.2019  ·  #1
My campervan did not come with an awning and having seen so many vans this weekend in westport with either drive away awnings or tents joined onto their vans awnings I think I would like one.
These awnings had sides and were fully enclosed and had room for tables and chairs in them so great extra room, do I need to add a awning onto my campers so one of these can be attached or can they be attached another way ?

Liked by: Dumbo VI

StrandCampingDoonbeg
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: mobilvetta mh 85
Base Vehicle: Fiat
Subject:

Re: Campervan awning

· 
Posted: 05.08.2019  ·  #2
Will you use it? I’ve used my awning 3 times in 3 years well not used it but put it out just to make sure it works, all 3 times on my driveway. If you have the need for extra room when parked up they are handy. If it’s really windy or very wet they’re not great.

Jamesd
Craic'er
Subject:

· 
Posted: 05.08.2019  ·  #3
Done know if we will use it, but we have our 2 kids with us and I could see it being a place to allow them some room or us some peace when parked up.

Gavster
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: LMC Liberty 630R (LHD)
Base Vehicle: Fiat Ducato 2.5 TD
Subject:

· 
Posted: 05.08.2019  ·  #4
I got a stand-alone Vango airhub Hex and used it at the weekend just past as a tent and communal shelter as it wasn’t worth my while taking the Motorhome for the one night I was at an event. Takes up little room, can be put up and taken down in a few minutes and is about 4x4m. I used it the week before at a family bbq. I wouldn’t bother with one that connects to the van myself as it can only really be used for that one function. I have used mine more often away from the van than with it. Very handy for festivals where you are staying for a few days but wouldn’t bother with it if I was just staying one night and moving on.

Jamesd
Craic'er
Subject:

· 
Posted: 06.08.2019  ·  #5
Thanks Gavin, that's very nice and looking at YouTube very easy to put it up, is it easy to deflate and pack ?

Thorn123
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Chasson flash 03
Base Vehicle: Ford transit 2.2
Subject:

· 
Posted: 06.08.2019  ·  #6
The use of an awning is determined by how you use your camper.
If you use campsites regularly and stay for a few days, go for it.

This is our setup.
However, it has only been pulled out for European campsites for last 2 years.
We only use Irish campsites in the winter season.

the fat controller
Eat's Sleep's craic
Homepage: fincaangelacat.com
My Motorhome: Benimar Tessoro 481
Base Vehicle: Ford Transit
Subject:

· 
Posted: 06.08.2019  ·  #7
I haven’t used my roll out in two years, and my drive away ( tent type) has been used about three or four times which was due to being in one place for a couple of days at a time

Jamesd
Craic'er
Subject:

· 
Posted: 06.08.2019  ·  #8
Thanks all, a lot of non use then so far.

I am after being offered an urban escape shelter last night but not sure if it has sides or not so will have a look at that , could be that we trail that out before purchasing anything.

the fat controller
Eat's Sleep's craic
Homepage: fincaangelacat.com
My Motorhome: Benimar Tessoro 481
Base Vehicle: Ford Transit
Subject:

· 
Posted: 06.08.2019  ·  #9
Def try before spending your money, if I had it to do again I def wouldn’t get a wind out as I personally haven’t used it as much as I thought I would so it isn’t value for money, the drive away is better as I only take it when I know I am going to use it and it has been used more than the roll out

panda
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Concerto 255
Base Vehicle: Fiat Ducato 9 spd Auto
Subject:

· 
Posted: 06.08.2019  ·  #10
We never use our wind out awning either but many others do. I would do a trial if you could,

GMAC
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 06.08.2019  ·  #11
As most of the replies we've only used wind out awning about three times in last 5 years. Definitely only of use if you're staying for longer periods on sites.

Ally
Founder
Homepage: motorhomecraic.com
My Motorhome: Lunar Roadstar 780
Base Vehicle: Fiat 2.8 JTD
Subject:

· 
Posted: 06.08.2019  ·  #12
Quote by GMAC

As most of the replies we've only used wind out awning about three times in last 5 years. Definitely only of use if you're staying for longer periods on sites.

In a country where it's less windy. I wouldn't buy a wind out awning if it wasnt already on the van, waste of money for this country IMO.

Daffysparks

Subject:

· 
Posted: 06.08.2019  ·  #13
We use ours a lot when abroad. Not so much here, but do still use it a few times a year in Ireland. If you are thinking of going to the continent in the summer, I would have something, mainly for shade. If staying in Ireland, it’s very low on the list of priorities.

sprinter
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Matilda 2 Pilote 703FP Explorateur
Base Vehicle: 3ltr 318 Sprinter Automatic
Subject:

Campervan awning

· 
Posted: 06.08.2019  ·  #14
I have one of these for when on campsites for a few days, the longer the stay the more useful they become.
Khyam Driveaway XC Motorhome Awning. The tunnel part clips onto the drip rail, It doubled the space of the van.
I got it when my Daughter was using our Sprinter with her two girls 7&9 the extra room was great for play area in bad weather and general outdoor living, putting bikes etc away at night. It also meant the children could go to bed in the van while the parents could sit out and use the tent area, no making and breaking extra beds every day. if you are over our way (Wicklow/Wexford ), you are welcome to try one out for few days .

StrandCampingDoonbeg
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: mobilvetta mh 85
Base Vehicle: Fiat
Subject:

· 
Posted: 06.08.2019  ·  #15
Yesterday I had to take down a four sided gazebo that a cvan had left on his pitch the wind had got to it and it was damaged beyond repair. On Sunday I had to empty a wind out awning that had been left out in the rain and filled with water it was likely to pull off the side of the van.

The issue is what do you need the extra space for, storage, sitting in it, sheltering from the sun, rain?

Some of the airbeam driveaway awnings or tents are great and can take quite a bit of weather

Jamesd
Craic'er
Subject:

· 
Posted: 06.08.2019  ·  #16
Thanks everyone and thanks for the offer Sprinter - I like that it clips into the drip tray.
Doonbeg I think we would want it for sitting in during the evenings while the baby is asleep in the camper, somewhere to allow the 4yr old to play in and keep her toys and bike at night.

What I could see though if it was hard to put up that I would just not bother with it, so I'd be interested in the air versions if easier to put up.

Gavster
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: LMC Liberty 630R (LHD)
Base Vehicle: Fiat Ducato 2.5 TD
Subject:

· 
Posted: 07.08.2019  ·  #17
I can easily put and take down my Airhub Hex up alone and the old awning on my caravan was the reason I gave up caravaning! We use ours for the kids to play in and keep bikes etc too but only if we are at festivals. I like that it can be used for other occasions and not just with the Motorhome.

Hymer544
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: VW Crafter
Base Vehicle: VW Crafter 2.5tdi
Subject:

· 
Posted: 09.08.2019  ·  #18
On our third van. All had awnings. Only used them in hot countries for shelter from sun. The tent type are a complete PIA....if u plan to go abroad in ur van and with kids I think they are essential....if staying in Ireland only don't waste ur money.

Galldar
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Paddy the Pilote Galaxy 78MX
Base Vehicle: Citroen 2.5TD
Subject:

· 
Posted: 09.08.2019  ·  #19
Quote by Hymer544

On our third van. All had awnings. Only used them in hot countries for shelter from sun. The tent type are a complete PIA....if u plan to go abroad in ur van and with kids I think they are essential....if staying in Ireland only don't waste ur money.

Awnings are for sun?
Used ours to try to keep the rain off in Leitrim and Achill this year :)

Liked by: sprinter

MerlinTheMotorhome
merlinthemotorhome
My Motorhome: Compass Avantgarde
Base Vehicle: Peugeot
Subject:

· 
Posted: 27.06.2020  ·  #20
I have a pair of Fiamma Wall Brackets for the Awning Legs, would it be better to attach the wee brackets onto the van so the awning can sit in them and not in the ground? And by better I mean more secure?

I was going to go down the road of the awning storm straps and the feet plates, but would it be more secure to have the brackets installed and use them?

eirebus
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Dethleffs Advantage
Base Vehicle: Fiat 2.3
Subject:

· 
Posted: 27.06.2020  ·  #21
Quote by MerlinTheMotorhome

I was going to go down the road of the awning storm straps and the feet plates, but would it be more secure to have the brackets installed and use them?

That's the way I'd go , storm brackets much more secure , I would be afraid of drilling unnecessary holes in the van for no real gain

Liked by: CHAUSSON, MerlinTheMotorhome, +deleted user

MerlinTheMotorhome
merlinthemotorhome
Subject:

· 
Posted: 28.06.2020  ·  #22
Quote by eirebus

Quote by MerlinTheMotorhome

That's the way I'd go , storm brackets much more secure , I would be afraid of drilling unnecessary holes in the van for no real gain

Aye, think I will :up:

That wind last night and this morning.

Bounder
Craic Addict
My Motorhome: 2015 Adria 640 SHX
Base Vehicle: Ducato X250 2.3
Subject:

· 
Posted: 28.06.2020  ·  #23
I don’t like the idea of having mounts on the van, there can be a lot of pressure on the awning and all that going back on to the van unsettles me.
I use the legs on the ground and use screw in dog ground anchors with rubber shock absorbers and lines to secure them. Any sign of strong winds and I’ll take it down, it’s too easy to bend and break an awning if it gets gusty.

MerlinTheMotorhome
merlinthemotorhome
Subject:

· 
Posted: 28.06.2020  ·  #24
Quote by Bounder

I don’t like the idea of having mounts on the van, there can be a lot of pressure on the awning and all that going back on to the van unsettles me.
I use the legs on the ground and use screw in dog ground anchors with rubber shock absorbers and lines to secure them. Any sign of strong winds and I’ll take it down, it’s too easy to bend and break an awning if it gets gusty.

Aye, I was just looking at them Screw in Anchors, I'll get two of, to go with Fiamma Awning Tie Down and Fiamma Kit Awning Plate

Selected quotes for multi-quoting:   0

Registered users in this topic

Currently no registered users in this section

The statistic shows who was online during the last 5 minutes. Updated every 90 seconds.