Importing a new motorhome from the UK

VAT and VRT

jessiemc
Subject:

· 
Posted: 06.06.2020  ·  #1
Hi there,
I am new to the forum and have a question in relation to VAT and VRT.
I have a deposit on a new motorhome in the UK, and I have to go over and collect it as soon as I can. However, the motorhome dealer is not able to advise me on the VAT and VRT charges. The price I am paying for the motorhome is ex. 20% which is the UK VAT, and I am finding it difficult to get any information due to the lock down.
My understanding is that I pay Irish VAT of 23% of the amount I pay to the dealer. On top of that there is a 13% VRT charge of the value of the motorhome if it was sold in Ireland.
I am not sure where and when I have to pay the VAT and VRT and also if there are any other outlays involved, hidden or otherwise.
Any advice would be greatly received.
Jason

baguette
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Rapido 963F
Base Vehicle: Ducato 2.8 JTD Power
Subject:

Re: Importing a new motorhome from the UK

· 
Posted: 06.06.2020  ·  #2
An important question, is it a new or secondhand motorhome. The VAT rules are different for each.
However the VRT is the same for both, it's 13.5% of whatever the OMSP (open market selling price) for it would be here but in reality, the revenue bases its valuation on ASKING or LIST prices.

jessiemc
Subject:

· 
Posted: 06.06.2020  ·  #3
Thanks for the reply. It is a new motorhome and although I have not seen the same model for sale here in the Republic I have a rough idea on what the VRT will cost me judging on what is out there. Do you know of anyone who has gone through this process recently? Thanks again.

StrandCampingDoonbeg
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: mobilvetta mh 85
Base Vehicle: Fiat
Subject:

· 
Posted: 06.06.2020  ·  #4
This link may help https://www.revenue.ie/en/cont…x-vrt.aspx
When I imported my MH I had to have it inspected at Ennis and then I met with revenue in Limerick. I did not pay vrt as I was moving to Ireland with a MH that I had owned in the uk for more than 6 months.

Liked by: sprinter

JJF
Eat's Sleep's craic
Homepage: MotorhomeCraic.com
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 06.06.2020  ·  #5
baguette
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Rapido 963F
Base Vehicle: Ducato 2.8 JTD Power
Subject:

· 
Posted: 06.06.2020  ·  #6
The selling dealer needs to get the vehicle registered with the DVLA who will issue it with free (no charge) temporary road tax so it can be driven in the UK. The DVLA will also issue an Export registration number for July 2020 will like this XF70 and three random letters.
Once the DVLA bit is complete the dealer fills out HM Customs & Excise form VAT411 which enables him to export the vehicle tax-free.

You then pay Irish VAT based on the purchase invoice price and VRT based on the whim of the Revenue.

Liked by: sprinter

jessiemc
Subject:

· 
Posted: 06.06.2020  ·  #7
Thanks all for the information.
We will plough ahead with the purchase and fingers crossed we won't get any nasty surprises.
See you on the road in July :)

Liked by: eirebus, ntg, panda, sprinter, StrandCampingDoonbeg, +deleted user

irishpatrick49
Craic'er
Subject:

Importing mh vrt

· 
Posted: 06.06.2020  ·  #8
I can tell u what happened when my good friend imported a new mh no so long ago.

The calculation on the VRT was done in a way that I could only describe as crazy .
The revenue told my friend to bring it to his local test centre where they would take photos and send them to the revenue for evaluating which he did and they came back with a figure that was almost 50% of the cost and so he protested and was told take or leave it , but he could go to court and protest it which could take 2 years ,so he paid as he was put between rock and hard place could not return it to the dealer .
I would not buy it or bring it in to the country unless I had a clear cost from revenue, as could get big shock.
Just imagine a guy sitting at desk in revenue deciding what it’s worth who probably never was inside a Mh and that’s what happened they can decide it it’s worth double or three times what u paid no sense or reason proper calculations or comeback crazy stuff.
They accept the invoice from the dealer of what u paid and then just ignore all other guidelines when it comes to VR T .
Also there is another method to bring it in and. Pay alomost nothing .

Floorman
Love's the Craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 06.06.2020  ·  #9
Hi jessiemc
I saw your post and thought you and perhaps others would be interested in a little vat information that you may or may not know already. When you say you are buying your van less of vat I was not sure whether or not the vat was already on the price or whether it hadn't yet been added, although vat goes on at 20% in this country it does not come off at the same amount, I have printed an example below, I do wish you well with your new van and wish you a safe journey home.

EXAMPLE:

Cost of Motorhome £50,000.00
VAT @20% £10.000.00

Total inc VAT £60,000.00

To extract the VAT from this amount you do not take 20% off as this would leave you with a wrong amount of £48,000.00.

The figure you must use to extract vat which was imposed @ 20% is 16.667%. this will give you a more accurate answer.

Total cost £60,000.00
Minus 16.667% £10,000.00 give or take a few pence

Original price £50,000.00

Many people wrongly assume that when they are getting an item vat free that they are going to get a 20% discount.

Liked by: <BM>, seanmc

<BM>
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Rimor Superbrig
Base Vehicle: Ford Transit
Subject:

· 
Posted: 06.06.2020  ·  #10
Quote by Floorman

Many people wrongly assume that when they are getting an item vat free that they are going to get a 20% discount.

This effect is used as a slight of hand in the ROI when it comes to calculating VRT where the notional percentage is based on the tax inclusive price making the % rate look lower than if it were a markup on the pre-tax price.

Liked by: baguette, Floorman

ntg
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Autotrail
Base Vehicle: Comanche
Subject:

· 
Posted: 06.06.2020  ·  #11
To achieve the vat amount at 20% rate on a total price you multiply ×8 and divide by 48 = vat content.

Daffysparks

Subject:

· 
Posted: 06.06.2020  ·  #12
If you have the figure inclusive of vat, simply divide by 1.2 for 20%
1.23 for 23% as in for ROI
Or1.135 for 13.5% for services ROI.

jessiemc
Subject:

· 
Posted: 07.06.2020  ·  #13
Thanks to you all for the VAT information.
IrishPatrick49 you mentioned another method to bring it in and pay almost nothing. Could you elaborate on this? Thanks.

irishpatrick49
Craic'er
Subject:

· 
Posted: 07.06.2020  ·  #14
Would need to speak in person not on forum

Jcbrowne
Subject:

· 
Posted: 08.06.2020  ·  #15
@urishpateick could I give you a call on this as I am in the same boat. Value appears to be in the UK but once revenue bend you over and vrt you....

panda
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Concerto 255
Base Vehicle: Fiat Ducato 9 spd Auto
Subject:

· 
Posted: 08.06.2020  ·  #16
Quote by Jcbrowne

Value appears to be in the UK but once revenue bend you over and vrt you....

Hi....I went through the same situation when I bought mine in January. I originally was going to buy one in Romania ( My wife is from there ) and insure it from there with Romanian plates . But after a lot of thinking I felt it wasn't worth the hassle of being stopped by police and revenue. I also thought of where do I bring it for any warranty issue's ....another thing to consider.

At the end of the day I bought from a reputable Irish dealer and its on Irish plates, VRT paid etc etc. I dont see any way around this if you want it on Irish plates,,,,,Best of luck with your new Motorhome whichever way you decide to purchase :up:

jessiemc
Subject:

VRT

· 
Posted: 10.06.2020  ·  #17
Hi @irishpatrick49
I sent you a private message.
Can you get back to me when you have a minute please?
Thanks.
Jessiemc

Selected quotes for multi-quoting:   0

Registered users in this topic

Currently no registered users in this section

The statistic shows who was online during the last 5 minutes. Updated every 90 seconds.