Fridge

Powering a 240v domestic fridge via an inverter and 200amp relay

vwcrafterconversion
Subject:

Fridge

· 
Posted: 28.05.2020  ·  #1
Hey everyone,

Great to be apart of this group and I’m really looking forward to posting here over the next few months!

I’ve just taken the plunge and purchased a vw crafter that I will be converting over the next few months.

I’m currently planning out the layout and what appliances I need etc..

I’ve been looking at the price of fridges and I’d like a big enough sized fridge but the price for a 12v compressor fridge over 80L currently isn’t within my budget.

So I’m looking at installing a 240v compressor fridge and running it off an inverter using a 200amp relay which will switch on and off the inverter so that the inverter isn’t running all the time.

I’ve only seen one video on YT video

that talks about this system, but they haven’t shown how to connect everything up.

I’m a complete novice to all this so I’m hoping that you can help me out 🙂

Does anyone have any experience with this type of a setup?

JonMac46
Love's the Craic
My Motorhome: Dethleffs Globetrotter 1999 Ducato 2.8 idTD
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

Re: Fridge

· 
Posted: 28.05.2020  ·  #2
Albert the Talbot
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Pilote Galaxy 92
Base Vehicle: Sprinter
Subject:

· 
Posted: 28.05.2020  ·  #3
Quote by JonMac46

Use gas.

Totally agree, gives you independence and cheap as chips as easily run

sprinter
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Matilda 2 Pilote 703FP Explorateur
Base Vehicle: 3ltr 318 Sprinter Automatic
Subject:

Fridge

· 
Posted: 28.05.2020  ·  #4
Quote by Albert the Talbot

Quote by JonMac46

Use gas.

Totally agree, gives you independence and cheap as chips as easily run

I would suggest standard 3 way and if you need more capacity fit two one fir the drink and one for food.Won't take up much more space then one of the larger ones that always have a cupboard under or over them.
easy to install and probably cheaper them the the inverter and relay system

hillton9
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Rollerteam t-line 740
Base Vehicle: Fiat muiltijet
Subject:

· 
Posted: 29.05.2020  ·  #5
You could go down the road of a 40 litre cool box works of both 12 and 240 volts I have a halfords one on the back cools just as well as the fridge so much I keep my beer it runs on the batt when we’re driving works on the solar panel when we park up and if we hook up I change it to 240 volt I also put a thermostat in it so when it gets to 4 degrees it turns of .when it gets up to 10 degrees starts again so it’s not running full time

Liked by: panda, sprinter, TippOff

The Rambler
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle: Vauxhall Movano 2.5 CDTI
Subject:

· 
Posted: 29.05.2020  ·  #6
Well I’ll attempt to address your question if no one else will 😝. I don’t want to get into the compressor vs absorptionator debate other than to say there are definite advantages to the compressor option as you have concluded yourself.

Forget about the overpriced 12 Volt option by all means but also look into the right kind of inverter with low quiescent current and cycle on off technology. Check out this video from Cha4les Sterling. It’s very informative.

Liked by: Davy, panda, sprinter

Hymer544
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: VW Crafter
Base Vehicle: VW Crafter 2.5tdi
Subject:

· 
Posted: 04.06.2020  ·  #7
hi newbie, I have a crafter that im 90% complete. Im doing a fridge for the final stages. By the time you buy enough battery capacity, a decent relay and a very good quality inverter, you would be close to the £460 that you could get 80-90L fridge with freezer for. Look at shoreline and inlander low voltage fridges. They have a wide range of big brand fridges like LEC, LG, Swan that they have converted the compressor from AC to DC for canal boat market but are used also in MH/Campers. They come as plug and play DC 12V fridges that still have the quality insulation and danfoss compressors of domestic fridges. Unfortunately no one in ireland sells them so you would have to either pay an additional £75 for shipping or arrange your own shipping. Worth a look. Or maybe look at the DC50 fridges on ebay (Kiravans have a video on them).

Selected quotes for multi-quoting:   0

Registered users in this topic

Currently no registered users in this section

The statistic shows who was online during the last 5 minutes. Updated every 90 seconds.