My Motorhome: Rimor Superbrig
Base Vehicle: Ford Transit
Subject:

Re: Surge of new Motorhomer's

· 
Posted: 26.05.2020  ·  #41
Quote by sprinter

Quote by <BM>

It's on a twin rear wheel Transit chassis so it'll never look overloaded or be overloaded by axel weights but I have a set of theory test books for the C license beside my bed right now because its time to face reality and get at least a C1 license.

That's the way to go you won't regret it, the last thing you want is to be all set up for your holiday and run into some Guy in uniform who is having a bad day and tells you to park your van and get a taxi home.

I need to do the theory test whenever it starts going again. There's supposed to be a guy in Naas that does prep for the C1 test in a 5 tonne Sprinter or Iveco Daily so that's probably the route I'll go, I really don't need to be worrying about 4 over 4 gearboxes for the full C test.

Liked by: baguette

baguette
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Rapido 963F
Base Vehicle: Ducato 2.8 JTD Power
Subject:

· 
Posted: 26.05.2020  ·  #42
Quote by <BM>

Quote by sprinter

Quote by <BM>

It's on a twin rear wheel Transit chassis so it'll never look overloaded or be overloaded by axel weights but I have a set of theory test books for the C license beside my bed right now because its time to face reality and get at least a C1 license.

That's the way to go you won't regret it, the last thing you want is to be all set up for your holiday and run into some Guy in uniform who is having a bad day and tells you to park your van and get a taxi home.

I need to do the theory test whenever it starts going again. There's supposed to be a guy in Naas that does prep for the C1 test in a 5 tonne Sprinter or Iveco Daily so that's probably the route I'll go, I really don't need to be worrying about 4 over 4 gearboxes for the full C test.

The heavy Sprinter or Iveco Daily are ideal as they are just like a coachbuilt motorhome to drive, in fact, easier as the body doesn't extend beyond the cab.
I just can't understand why you can't do the practical test in a 4 tonne plus motorhome considering the spect for a C1 licence test is a minimum of 4t GVW and 5m long.

sprinter
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Matilda 2 Pilote 703FP Explorateur
Base Vehicle: 3ltr 318 Sprinter Automatic
Subject:

Surge of new Motorhomer's

· 
Posted: 26.05.2020  ·  #43
Quote by baguette

Quote by <BM>

Quote by sprinter

Quote by <BM>

The heavy Sprinter or Iveco Daily are ideal as they are just like a coachbuilt motorhome to drive, in fact, easier as the body doesn't extend beyond the cab.
I just can't understand why you can't do the practical test in a 4 tonne plus motorhome considering the spect for a C1 licence test is a minimum of 4t GVW and 5m long.

who said you couldn't fo the test in a motorhome. Is there a spec for the vehicle to do the test in ?

baguette
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 27.05.2020  ·  #44
The RSA says so. They say the test must be done in a vehicle with a tachograph.

Not unusual when it comes to motorhomes, the RSA is out on a limb.

Back in 2012 the EU COMMISSION DIRECTIVE 2012/36/EU set out that member states were to have in operation, by 31st. December 2013, a driving test for a C1 licence which does not require knowledge of regulations applicable to people who would not be driving commercial vehicles for their living.
Following lobbying by the F.I.C.C. the EU came up with the idea of issuing C1 driving licences with the restriction code (97) which was designed to facilitate the above scenario.
Basically it means that if you pass the test in a vehicle without a tachograph you will get a C1(97) licence, it also means that for the theory test you don't need to know all legal stuff applicable to someone driving HGV's for a living, like rest periods etc.

However, the good old RSA advised their Minister not to bother with that part of the Directive although other parts were implemented.

Liked by: sprinter

sprinter
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

Surge of new Motorhomer's

· 
Posted: 27.05.2020  ·  #45
Thanks I wasn't aware of that. I did my test in a Fire Engine.
The examiner got his boyhood wish on the way home when I pulled over and he drove the appliance back to wicklow.😁

Liked by: Bobo24, panda

baguette
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 27.05.2020  ·  #46
Quote by sprinter

The examiner got his boyhood wish on the way home when I pulled over and he drove the appliance back to wicklow.😁

Interesting!, did the fire engine have a tachograph, did you have to learn and get tested on the 'driving time directive' stuff. AFAIK fire engines are exempt from tacho regulations.

eirebus
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Dethleffs Advantage
Base Vehicle: Fiat 2.3
Subject:

· 
Posted: 27.05.2020  ·  #47
Quote by baguette

Quote by sprinter

Interesting!, did the fire engine have a tachograph, did you have to learn and get tested on the 'driving time directive' stuff. AFAIK fire engines are exempt from tacho regulations.

It was so long ago the tacko was written by hammer and chisel 😂😂

Liked by: baguette, panda, sprinter

Daffysparks

Subject:

· 
Posted: 27.05.2020  ·  #48
sprinter
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 27.05.2020  ·  #49
Quote by baguette

Quote by sprinter

Yes,they exempt from tachographs. Driving instructors are in house but the test itself is done outside the service . They give you the truck and pay you for your lessons tho.

The one I did my test in was way before that ,the other pair are not far off .
It was a Green Goddess, that was used in Belfast during the war, that was revered to down here as the Emergence.
I was 18 years old.

Liked by: baguette, panda

eirebus
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Dethleffs Advantage
Base Vehicle: Fiat 2.3
Subject:

· 
Posted: 27.05.2020  ·  #50
Quote by Daffysparks

Written in Ogham on rune stones 🤣🤣🤣

Probably more on the mark ,,a fire chariot test 😂

Liked by: sprinter, +deleted user

Roulston1008
Craic'er
My Motorhome: Conversion
Base Vehicle: 2016 Citroen Relay
Subject:

· 
Posted: 28.05.2020  ·  #51
Did my C licence Also on a fire engine with no tacho. We didnt have to do the CPC course as we were not driving for hire and reward.

Liked by: eirebus, panda, sprinter

baguette
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 28.05.2020  ·  #52
Quote by Roulston1008

Did my C licence Also on a fire engine with no tacho. We didnt have to do the CPC course as we were not driving for hire and reward.

That's very interesting, they won't let you do the test in a motorhome because there is no tacho yet you can do it in a fire engine with no tacho...
Apart from the obvious what's the difference, in both cases the driving is not for hire or reward, not the 'day job' of the driver.

Gavster
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: LMC Liberty 630R (LHD)
Base Vehicle: Fiat Ducato 2.5 TD
Subject:

· 
Posted: 11.06.2020  ·  #53
I was at a forest park today (in the car) and was pleased to see a Motorhome pull in as it looked like some normality returning but winced as it immediately parked across 4 parking bays in an already fairly busy car park with more cars arriving. I saw a few dirty looks in their direction and I really should have had a polite word for the sake of other Motorhomers but I didn’t. There were spaces to easily overhang over. Couldn’t tell if the were newbies or not.

Ally
Founder
Homepage: motorhomecraic.com
My Motorhome: Lunar Roadstar 780
Base Vehicle: Fiat 2.8 JTD
Subject:

· 
Posted: 12.06.2020  ·  #54
🥴🥴

Liked by: eirebus

CHAUSSON
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Knaus Sport Ti 700 UFB Silverline
Base Vehicle: Renault Master 150 dci Quickshift
Subject:

· 
Posted: 12.06.2020  ·  #55
Quote by gavster1

I was at a forest park today (in the car) and was pleased to see a Motorhome pull in as it looked like some normality returning but winced as it immediately parked across 4 parking bays in an already fairly busy car park with more cars arriving. I saw a few dirty looks in their direction and I really should have had a polite word for the sake of other Motorhomers but I didn’t. There were spaces to easily overhang over. Couldn’t tell if the were newbies or not.

Probably going to see a lot more of that this year if we are going to have all these newbies that are foretasted.

Liked by: Eyore, panda, sprinter

Daffysparks

Subject:

· 
Posted: 12.06.2020  ·  #56
We all had to start somewhere, I guess. Maybe we should be putting together a list of do’s and Dont’s to help them and educate them. Fliers perhaps, left at MH dealers, posted on Facebook for those that use it etc.

ntg
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Autotrail
Base Vehicle: Comanche
Subject:

· 
Posted: 12.06.2020  ·  #57
Quote by CHAUSSON

Quote by gavster1

Probably going to see a lot more of that this year if we are going to have all these newbies that are foretasted.

I am not entirely sure that it will be the newbies that will be causing the problem,this has been an ongoing problem for many years now so let the veterans get themselves sorted before casting the blame on the beginners.

Liked by: GMAC, panda, +deleted user

davetherave
Love's the Craic
My Motorhome: Compass Avantgarde
Base Vehicle: Peugeot Boxer
Subject:

· 
Posted: 12.06.2020  ·  #58
Quote by Daffysparks

We all had to start somewhere, I guess. Maybe we should be putting together a list of do’s and Dont’s to help them and educate them. Fliers perhaps, left at MH dealers, posted on Facebook for those that use it etc.

I could be wrong but I think there is a list of do’s and dont’s on here somewhere. I will do a search later

Liked by: panda, +deleted user

Selected quotes for multi-quoting:   0

Registered users in this topic

Currently no registered users in this section

The statistic shows who was online during the last 5 minutes. Updated every 90 seconds.