sprinter
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Matilda 2 Pilote 703FP Explorateur
Base Vehicle: 3ltr 318 Sprinter Automatic
Subject:

Germany - speed alerts

· 
Posted: 22.05.2020  ·  #2
Its only a matter of time before its banned everywhere.

<BM>
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Rimor Superbrig
Base Vehicle: Ford Transit
Subject:

Re: Germany - speed alerts

· 
Posted: 22.05.2020  ·  #3
I have a Garmin Sat Nav that gives warnings of Dangerous Road Segments when in France, I assume it will do the same in Germany

Liked by: panda

The Rambler
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle: Vauxhall Movano 2.5 CDTI
Subject:

· 
Posted: 22.05.2020  ·  #4
I think there is an argument to be made that speed camera alerts result in drivers slowing down. Is that not good? 🧐

Liked by: Ally, CHAUSSON, GMAC

panda
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Concerto 255
Base Vehicle: Fiat Ducato 9 spd Auto
Subject:

· 
Posted: 22.05.2020  ·  #5
Quote by The Rambler

I think there is an argument to be made that speed camera alerts result in drivers slowing down. Is that not good? 🧐

Yes...I would agree Jason.

TommyS
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: EuraMobil
Base Vehicle: Fiat
Subject:

· 
Posted: 22.05.2020  ·  #6
I have 2 sat navs. One visible disabled and another that can be unplugged quickly. I dont speed as a rule but its good to know just in case

sprinter
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

Germany - speed alerts

· 
Posted: 22.05.2020  ·  #7
Quote by panda

Quote by The Rambler

Is that not what the round signs on the side of the road are for?. What more alert to you need to stay under the speed limit ?.
Do you also need a device to tell you not to drive trough red traffic lights, stop signs? :-/

panda
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Concerto 255
Base Vehicle: Fiat Ducato 9 spd Auto
Subject:

· 
Posted: 22.05.2020  ·  #8
Quote by sprinter

Quote by panda

Quote by The Rambler

Is that not what the round signs on the side of the road are for?. What more alert to you need to stay under the speed limit ?.
Do you also need a device to tell you not to drive trough red traffic lights, stop signs? :-/

Fair point Martin but as we get older the ol' eyesight let's us down and some sign's are damn hard to see.

TommyS
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 22.05.2020  ·  #9
Have to agree with Panda. It is very easy to miss signs for various reasons. I have my sat nav set to beep if I go above the speed limit. Most people speed at some point in their driving life be it a young 17 year old showing off or an old munter like me who slips over the odd time

Blag
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: 1980 Coachmen Leprechaun
Base Vehicle: GMC G35 Vandura. 6.7 Litre Chevy V8
Subject:

· 
Posted: 22.05.2020  ·  #10
German revenue generator.

I got nabbed over there a few years ago in a hire car. When I looked back through my dashcam footage, I could barely see the speed camera that got me. It was green, sat on a low profile tripod, in the central reservation of a dual-carriageway. Camouflaged.

It's not always about slowing people down...

Liked by: eirebus, panda

The Rambler
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 22.05.2020  ·  #11
Quote by sprinter

Quote by panda

Quote by The Rambler

All fair points Martin but the simple fact of the matter is that many people don't obey the signs. If you put a camera there, then nearly everyone obeys the limit. So therefore is the goal of putting in the camera to slow people down or to catch them speeding?

sprinter
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

Germany - speed alerts

· 
Posted: 22.05.2020  ·  #12
Quote by The Rambler

Quote by sprinter

Quote by panda

Quote by The Rambler

All fair points Martin but the simple fact of the matter is that many people don't obey the signs. If you put a camera there, then nearly everyone obeys the limit. So therefore is the goal of putting in the camera to slow people down or to catch them speeding?

Neither its to gather revenue. speed cameras /vans or cops with radar guns ,do not stop people speeding they only record them, for in this country, to sell you an €80 postcard.
I have s serious problem with ,for instance a Garda observing someone speeding and not doing anything to try and apprehending them.
How would you react if one of your family was killed by someone who you discovered in court, was observed speeding 5 minutes earlier.

Ally
Founder
Homepage: motorhomecraic.com
My Motorhome: Lunar Roadstar 780
Base Vehicle: Fiat 2.8 JTD
Subject:

· 
Posted: 22.05.2020  ·  #13
Quote by The Rambler

Now you're being silly! How do you expect the governments to keep stealing money from us?

The Rambler
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 22.05.2020  ·  #14
Quote by Ally

Quote by The Rambler

Now you're being silly! How do you expect the governments to keep stealing money from us?

Silly me and my pragmatism 🥺

Liked by: Ally

Albert the Talbot
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Pilote Galaxy 92
Base Vehicle: Sprinter
Subject:

· 
Posted: 22.05.2020  ·  #15
Jeremy Clarkson once described fixed speed cameras as Gordon Browns money boxes which I thought at the time summed it up perfectly

Liked by: Ally, sprinter

Ally
Founder
Subject:

· 
Posted: 22.05.2020  ·  #16
Fixed speed camera's, despite being a PITA sometimes quite effectively slow people down, notifications of these also slow people down. That is fair enough, some people need to slow down. A fixed camera is always in the same place and you slow down.

Now lets get onto those b******s in those vans............... :devil: - In NI they are called "The Road Safety Partnership" - what an absolute and total lie. Nothing at all to do with safety and I can prove it, I have also proved it to the PSNI on many an occasion, they don't listen to the facts, they also don't pay any heed.

It's all about revenue, nothing else, how can a van behind a tree, just over a hill, around the corner, be a van for safety? it just isn't, there is no explanation that can tell me other wise. It is there to create revenue. "ahh but if you hadn't of been speeding!?" well here is my reply to you Mr Brainwashed........

Someone driving for a living, always in a hurry because that's the nature of the employment, gets tired, they get other things on their mind than assholes in little white vans and they forget, they also take their mind of the speedometer from time to time to look where they are going! All the little assholes in their little white vans are in area's to catch you, just past the 30MPH, in that 40MPH zone when you where looking at the car about to pull onto the road and you took your mind of the speedomerter for a split second or two. They are never (NI) on rural roads, NEVER, only high traffic volume roads and always on roads with 40MPH or 30MPH restrictions.

I know this because I drove from July 2018 to July 2019 in a Mercedes Sprinter delivering veterinary drugs. I covered 335 miles everyday and I covered all six Counties of NI, not once in 12 months was there a Road Safety Racket Van (see what i did there? ) on a rural road. Most people are killed on rural roads, most speeding is done on rural roads.

It's all about the revenue and if I didn't make it clear, I hate the scumbags.

Point to note, I don't speed, I may go to the limit, but I don't speed, I certainly don't speed in urban area's.

Liked by: ntg, panda, sprinter, TommyS

Albert the Talbot
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Pilote Galaxy 92
Base Vehicle: Sprinter
Subject:

· 
Posted: 22.05.2020  ·  #17
Phew! I bet you feel better now after getting that off you chest, and of course I agree with all of it

eirebus
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Dethleffs Advantage
Base Vehicle: Fiat 2.3
Subject:

· 
Posted: 22.05.2020  ·  #18
In ROI the vans are usually well marked sometimes with flashing lights also but the Garda one's on the other hand are usually parked on bends or at the bottom of hills, between the speed change sign's, anywhere that involves shooting fish in a barrel really, nothing to do with road safety just " max hits "

TommyS
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 22.05.2020  ·  #19
Well said Ally. Now does anyone know some quiet roads I can give my motorbike a good rake

Liked by: Ally, maz

The Rambler
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 22.05.2020  ·  #20
Just what is it you are trying to say Ally? Don't beat around the bush 😁

Ally
Founder
Subject:

· 
Posted: 22.05.2020  ·  #21
O-)

sprinter
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

Germany - speed alerts

· 
Posted: 22.05.2020  ·  #22
Son and Dad. conversion.
S. is that a cop waving a gun at us.
D. that Bast, is not s cop.
S.he looks like a cop and you nearly said a bad word.
D. ok sorry.
S. so,when is a cop not s cop.
D. when he thinks he is Flash Gordon.
S. what?.
D. when he has that F*****g radar gun in his hand.
S. I'm telling Mum you said s bad word.
D. your Mum knows , there are no bad word's when your talking about Flash Gordon's
S. ok, so it alright to tell Mum we saw a Flash Gordon.
D. I suppose so.
S. Mum we saw a Flash Gordon today.
M. what's a Flash Gordon.
_
_
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-

S. aah Mum you know, a Flash Gordon is a b*****d Cop waving a f***ing radar gun.

Liked by: ntg, panda

sootyrex
Love's the Craic
My Motorhome: Elddis
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 23.05.2020  ·  #23
Once on holiday in Vietnam, we were on a fairly long road trip, the traffic and scooters all crazy, I asked guide if police ever have a speed trap. He showed me.... you have to watch out for police scooter parked under a tree at roadside. Then you look UP the tree, way up the tree, and you see the guy has climbed 2/3 of the way up and is hidden in the foliage with his hair dryer. So even in largely still communist Vietnam, we have the revenue collectors. Hate them, for same reason as Ally, they are after the ‘easy pickings’ ... the average guy just doing his business. Mind you, during the early days of this virus I noticed average family guys starting to drive like idiots in absence of ‘supervision’... and not in Audi’s either 😂

Liked by: Ally, eirebus, panda

Ally
Founder
Subject:

· 
Posted: 28.05.2020  ·  #24
Quote by Ally

Fixed speed camera's, despite being a PITA sometimes quite effectively slow people down, notifications of these also slow people down. That is fair enough, some people need to slow down. A fixed camera is always in the same place and you slow down.

Now lets get onto those b******s in those vans............... :devil: - In NI they are called "The Road Safety Partnership" - what an absolute and total lie. Nothing at all to do with safety and I can prove it, I have also proved it to the PSNI on many an occasion, they don't listen to the facts, they also don't pay any heed.

It's all about revenue, nothing else, how can a van behind a tree, just over a hill, around the corner, be a van for safety? it just isn't, there is no explanation that can tell me other wise. It is there to create revenue. "ahh but if you hadn't of been speeding!?" well here is my reply to you Mr Brainwashed........

Someone driving for a living, always in a hurry because that's the nature of the employment, gets tired, they get other things on their mind than assholes in little white vans and they forget, they also take their mind of the speedometer from time to time to look where they are going! All the little assholes in their little white vans are in area's to catch you, just past the 30MPH, in that 40MPH zone when you where looking at the car about to pull onto the road and you took your mind of the speedomerter for a split second or two. They are never (NI) on rural roads, NEVER, only high traffic volume roads and always on roads with 40MPH or 30MPH restrictions.

I know this because I drove from July 2018 to July 2019 in a Mercedes Sprinter delivering veterinary drugs. I covered 335 miles everyday and I covered all six Counties of NI, not once in 12 months was there a Road Safety Racket Van (see what i did there? ) on a rural road. Most people are killed on rural roads, most speeding is done on rural roads.

It's all about the revenue and if I didn't make it clear, I hate the scumbags.

Point to note, I don't speed, I may go to the limit, but I don't speed, I certainly don't speed in urban area's.

Liked by: panda, sprinter

ntg
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Autotrail
Base Vehicle: Comanche
Subject:

· 
Posted: 28.05.2020  ·  #25
Would it be fair Ally to assume that you may have been a victim of one of these we white vans recently?😀😀

Ally
Founder
Subject:

· 
Posted: 29.05.2020  ·  #26
No, not really, sort off. But that's not the point I'm making 😛

Your comment somewhat undermines a valid point I was making by belittling an argument that was entirely set in evidence and factual statements.

Thursday,..... Not sure where I was going there 😂

ntg
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Autotrail
Base Vehicle: Comanche
Subject:

· 
Posted: 29.05.2020  ·  #27
Quote by Ally

No, not really, sort off. But that's not the point I'm making 😛

Your comment somewhat undermines a valid point I was making by belittling an argument that was entirely set in evidence and factual statements.

Thursday,..... Not sure where I was going there 😂

Sure it sounds very intellectual anyway,sorry if I missed the point.😀😅

Liked by: Ally

Selected quotes for multi-quoting:   0

Registered users in this topic

Currently no registered users in this section

The statistic shows who was online during the last 5 minutes. Updated every 90 seconds.