Insurance during motorhome conversion

the_tux
Subject:

Insurance during motorhome conversion

· 
Posted: 14.05.2020  ·  #1
Hi,
I bought the van and started the conversion. I don't have any insurance right now as it's just parked on my driveway.
I now would like to be able to use the van in the meantime, especially for some bigger parts shopping that doesn't fit in the car. If I take commercial insurance now I'm stuck with it for the next 12 months and I won't be able to get any motorhome insurance as of now.

How do you solve this issue? Can I get a commercial insurance and, once converted, just drive under that? Would I get any issues with my insurance? Or Does anyone now an insurance company that will allow me to convert once completed?

I already aked my car insurance (Liberty) if it's possible to get a short term one or temporarily swap my car for the van but that doesn't seem to be possible.

Thanks

eirebus
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Dethleffs Advantage
Base Vehicle: Fiat 2.3
Subject:

Re: Insurance during motorhome conversion

· 
Posted: 14.05.2020  ·  #2
Ring a van insurance broker and see what they say , a broker should know all the angles

cowboy70
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Elddis encore 255
Base Vehicle: Fiat ducat 2.3/ 9 speed auto 140bhp
Subject:

· 
Posted: 14.05.2020  ·  #3
the_tux
Subject:

· 
Posted: 14.05.2020  ·  #4
thanks for your replies. I spent some time on the phone with insurance companies today.

My current car insurance (Liberty) doesn't insure motorhomes and they don't do vans for private individuals, only businesses.

Both Dolmen and Stuarts can't insure me before the conversion (as a camper) and don't give me an option to convert later if I go for commercial. Dolmen also said that for a commercial vehicle they tend to be really strict what it's being used for.

Insuremyvan.ie gave me a quote and they said after the conversion I won't be able to stay with them but I can cancel it at any time and will get a full refund of whatever is left (with no fee). That's probably my best bet for now.

Liked by: sprinter

The Rambler
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle: Vauxhall Movano 2.5 CDTI
Subject:

· 
Posted: 26.06.2020  ·  #5
Quote by the_tux

Insuremyvan.ie gave me a quote and they said after the conversion I won't be able to stay with them but I can cancel it at any time and will get a full refund of whatever is left (with no fee). That's probably my best bet for now.

That's good to know. So they will give you insurance as a private individual. Was their quote resonable?

sootyrex
Love's the Craic
My Motorhome: Elddis
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 26.06.2020  ·  #6
Guys I have to give the highest recommendation to ‘insure my van’ ... they try really hard. I innocently bought a lovely nearly new ford courier (2 months old, less than 3,000 km) .... just because i fancied having one as a runaround. I was not aware of the whole saga that would ensue... as I am a private driver not a business. The people who rescued me were ‘insure my van’ and insured it privately and for business use. At the end of the year I could not re-tax it as a private individual without lying... so sadly had to change to a car. But insure my van really went way beyond to help me and i have all my insurance (House/ cars) with their group now other than the camper van. It’s fantastic to find an insurance company who will at least TRY. I have nothing to do with them, not advertising them, just recognizing someone who helped me when nobody else would

Selected quotes for multi-quoting:   0

Registered users in this topic

Currently no registered users in this section

The statistic shows who was online during the last 5 minutes. Updated every 90 seconds.