Davy
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Hymer B598 PL
Base Vehicle: Fiat 130 hp multijet
Subject:

E. Bikes

· 
Posted: 12.05.2020  ·  #1
Came across this on the BBC website (N.I.) in the daily update on Coronavirus page.

“A former NI environment minster has welcomed moves to encourage a new type of cyclist here during the Covid-19 outbreak.

Earlier on Tuesday, MLAs unanimously passed the Electrically Assisted Pedal Cycles Regulations - that means some electric bikes, or e-bikes, can be used on public roads without the need for registration or licensing during the COVID-19 restrictions.”

About time too. Nice to see they have time for normal business, but I wonder how long it would have taken without this crisis.

Davy

baguette
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Rapido 963F
Base Vehicle: Ducato 2.8 JTD Power
Subject:

Re: E. Bikes

· 
Posted: 12.05.2020  ·  #2
Quote by Davy

Came across this on the BBC website (N.I.) in the daily update on Coronavirus page.

“A former NI environment minster has welcomed moves to encourage a new type of cyclist here during the Covid-19 outbreak.

Earlier on Tuesday, MLAs unanimously passed the Electrically Assisted Pedal Cycles Regulations - that means some electric bikes, or e-bikes, can be used on public roads without the need for registration or licensing during the COVID-19 restrictions.”

About time too. Nice to see they have time for normal business, but I wonder how long it would have taken without this crisis.

Davy

"can be used on public roads without the need for registration or licensing during the COVID-19 restrictions".
Does that mean it's only a temporary regulation, should it not be a permanent regulation to bring NI in line with the rest of Europe.

Davy
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Hymer B598 PL
Base Vehicle: Fiat 130 hp multijet
Subject:

· 
Posted: 12.05.2020  ·  #3
I expect that it is a temporary regulation, but the fact that it has been enacted should lead to a permanent law in due course. At least now the door is ajar and it will be next to impossible to close again if lots of bikes are sold. Difficult to see them going a separate route to the rest of Europe on this, particularly since climate change is likely to be a driver for further development. Many radial roads in Belfast now have dedicated bus lanes, so commuting could be encouraged fairly safely and quickly.
I seem to recall reading in the last year that the European Commission intends to legislate and regulate further on e bikes, although with the popularity of e scooters and boards booming I reckon it would be hard to police.
Anyway if Stormont are as quick about repealing the regulation as they were at getting to this point, I for one will probably be on a mobility scooter instead.

Davy

Liked by: The Rambler

JMAC
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 13.05.2020  ·  #4
It was discussed today on U105 when a representative from Sustrans was on. I asked a question to clarify the matter and was told the legislation was passed yesterday to bring NI into line with the rest of uk and all other EU countries. About time too.

Selected quotes for multi-quoting:   0

Registered users in this topic

Currently no registered users in this section

The statistic shows who was online during the last 5 minutes. Updated every 90 seconds.