Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Autotrail
Base Vehicle: Comanche
Subject:

Re: Galway overnight

· 
Posted: 27.12.2019  ·  #41
Quote by TAYLOR.

Keith Finnigan on galway bay fm is changing his thinking (as he once said why would you want to stay in a white tin box with all the fine hotels in galway)
Maybe if he was shown inside a van it may help the cause

Well if that is his thinking then he can keep his hotels and I will take my tin box where I and my money are wanted.
My lifestyle will be how I want it and there are plenty of towns and villages who welcome us and our money.

jacktherev
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Adria Vision
Base Vehicle: Renault
Subject:

· 
Posted: 27.12.2019  ·  #42
Exactly my thinking on it ntg.

Liked by: ntg

TAYLOR.
Eat's Sleep's craic
Homepage: kencarrolladaptati…
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 27.12.2019  ·  #43
I presume he has his reasons,but the likes of baguette ect going on the talk show and explaining what we are about will definitely help.

ntg
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 27.12.2019  ·  #44
Quote by TAYLOR.

I presume he has his reasons,but the likes of baguette ect going on the talk show and explaining what we are about will definitely help.

Ok Ken if he has reasons then let him spell them out, no need for this cryptic thing.
Nothing better than an adult debate.

Liked by: TAYLOR.

sprinter
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Matilda 2 Pilote 703FP Explorateur
Base Vehicle: 3ltr 318 Sprinter Automatic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 27.12.2019  ·  #45
Email today to the following
Alan.Cheevers@cgcc.ie
Michael.Crowe@cgcc.ie
Owen.Hanley@cgcc.ie
Noel.Larkin@cgcc.ie
Declan.McDonnell@cgcc.ie
Terry.OFlaherty@cgcc.ie
Colette.Connolly@cgcc.ie
Ollie.Crowe@cgcc.ie
Mike.Cubbard@cgcc.ie
Frank.Fahy@cgcc.ie
Eddie.Hoare@cgcc.ie
Martina.OConnor@cgcc.ie
John.Connolly@cgcc.ie
Clodagh.Higgins@cgcc.ie
Peter.Keane@cgcc.ie
Donal.Lyons@cgcc.ie
Niall.McNelis@cgcc.ie
Pauline.OReilly@cgcc.ie

As a longtime regular visitor to Galway working on your water infrastructure upgrade and Holidays, in the City and the surrounding area over the last 50 years and am now retired and on a limited pension I would have liked to spend more time in your city and others in my Campervan but it appears I am now not welcome in Galway.

Could you please explain to me what exactly is the problem you have with Campervan and Motorhome parking within the City?

sprinter
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 29.12.2019  ·  #46
Quote by sprinter

Email today to the following
Alan.Cheevers@cgcc.ie
Michael.Crowe@cgcc.ie
Owen.Hanley@cgcc.ie
Noel.Larkin@cgcc.ie
Declan.McDonnell@cgcc.ie
Terry.OFlaherty@cgcc.ie
Colette.Connolly@cgcc.ie
Ollie.Crowe@cgcc.ie
Mike.Cubbard@cgcc.ie
Frank.Fahy@cgcc.ie
Eddie.Hoare@cgcc.ie
Martina.OConnor@cgcc.ie
John.Connolly@cgcc.ie
Clodagh.Higgins@cgcc.ie
Peter.Keane@cgcc.ie
Donal.Lyons@cgcc.ie
Niall.McNelis@cgcc.ie
Pauline.OReilly@cgcc.ie

As a longtime regular visitor to Galway working on your water infrastructure upgrade and Holidays, in the City and the surrounding area over the last 50 years and am now retired and on a limited pension I would have liked to spend more time in your city and others in my Campervan but it appears I am now not welcome in Galway.

Could you please explain to me what exactly is the problem you have with Campervan and Motorhome parking within the City?

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
The answers so far.

John Connolly

27 Dec 2019, 22:15 (2 days ago)

to me
Try here
https://www.google.com/search?…tMnMGNNq_Y

( which I consider is the answer from an up and coming Poli-Tick.) you need to google the links above to see why my reaction.
___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

My reply.
Are you for real,
The nearest two campsites are 5km from the city and don't answer their phones and don't give opening times on their websites and I am advised they are closed until June. The docks camper parking is closed and people have been fined in the Cathedral car park for overnight parking.
Did you even read my Email? .Would you like to try again and this time give me an answer to why or what it is you have against motorhomes/campervans in a City. that is trying to get Visitors to come to Galway 2020 European Capital of Culture ?????????????????

The answer

Yes, I am for real. I am familiar with this site and see caravans parked there throughout the year. I live about 5KM from the city and find it no impediment to enjoying the best of the city. In fact the location of this camp site is in the route of the 402 bus service.

Are you seeking to park on the public road? This is prohibited under Section 71 of the Roads Act 1993, not simply in Galway but throughout the country.

If I didn't read your email, I wouldn't have sent a response. I regret the connotation in your email that I didn't real or respond
appropriately to your email.

I have no difficulty with Camper vans parking in appropriate designated Camper Van spaces. I consider them most welcome.
My Reply.
Dear John.
I originally sent all of you the same email inquiring why we are not welcome within your city, in order to try and resolve what we in the Motorhome community consider to be a very sad affaire when the European City Of Culture is actively banning, a growing section of Irish tourism let alone the bad press involved when the increasing number of Foreign Mororhomers arrive on your doorstep only to find that even the Stable door closed

I am glad that you a 36-year-old Teacher are fit enough too live about 5KM from the city and find it no impediment to enjoying the best of the city.
As most motorhome owners are close to twice your age and don't use caravans, we like to be a little closer than 5km from the city and not in very expensive caravan park Since you are familiar with this site and see caravans parked there throughout the year. Maybe you can advise me if they are open at this time because I cannot contact them

Are you seeking to park on the public road? No, I am not, I am asking why I cannot use a regular carpark within the city
If have no difficulty with Camper vans parking in appropriate designated Camper Van spaces. I consider them most welcome.

Then why are you not looking outward at other places in this country, where they welcome Motorhomes and are providing Parking and are Making good money for services from it. Cobh County Cork as the best example and Waterford are now following Cork,s lead.
If I didn't read your email, I wouldn't have sent a response. I regret the connotation in your email that I didn't real or respond appropriately to your email.
Let's deal with this. I asked you to explain. as it appears I am now not welcome in Galway
Could you please explain to me what exactly is the problem you have with Campervan and Motorhome parking within the City? Where exactly in your return email, is your answer?
Finally please show me where exactly in Section 71 of the Roads Act 1993 is it prohibited to overnight in a carpark in a Campervan or Motorhome? I include the full Section71 for you to read. found here
http://www.irishstatutebook.ie…ed/en/html

Unauthorised signs, caravans, vehicles, etc. on public roads.

( you can google the act I'm not going to print it although I did send the whole Section )

end of 20:59--29/12-2019

Another reply altogether different and maybe an excuse for a large open meet in the west?????????
Martina O'Connor

28 Dec 2019, 20:05 (1 day ago)

to me

Martin

It is good to hear from you , as a caravan enthusiast myself I regret the limits of availability of parking in Galway City.

Influential lobbyists have encouraged previous councils to create Bye Laws limiting overnight parking to official Campsites only.

I myself am involved in bringing over 100 vehicles both Motorhomes and Caravans to the Galway racecourse this coming Easter as part of a National Rally.

Temporary parking at the dockside was available alongside moored boats but as far as I know this site is private property of Galway Harbour.

I fear there is little appetite for change in this area, unlike our forward thinking European towns and cities who all provide low cost short stay parking.

Safe and happy vanning.

Regards

Cllr. Martina OConnor

Gavster
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: LMC Liberty 630R (LHD)
Base Vehicle: Fiat Ducato 2.5 TD
Subject:

· 
Posted: 29.12.2019  ·  #47
Fair play to them for replying at least as I expected you would simply not have gotten a reply at all.

ntg
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 29.12.2019  ·  #48
Martin there is no doubt that there is nothing but bias towards Motorhomers wishing to visit Galway.
The best way to show them that we mean what we say is to take our business elsewhere and then publicise what we have been doing,and also how we have been made welcome in these other towns and cities.

Liked by: Albert the Talbot, eirebus, Erazmus, panda, sprinter, +deleted user

Daffysparks

Subject:

· 
Posted: 29.12.2019  ·  #49
How about suggesting a huge meet for Galway, then discovering all the bad press, moving it to, maybe, Eyeries 😉

TommyS
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: EuraMobil
Base Vehicle: Fiat
Subject:

· 
Posted: 30.12.2019  ·  #50
Is there daytime parking in the city for motorhomes?

sprinter
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

Galway overnight

· 
Posted: 30.12.2019  ·  #51
Quote by TommyS

Apparently there is somewhere around the Cathedral and also down in the port

Liked by: TommyS

sprinter
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

Galway overnight

· 
Posted: 30.12.2019  ·  #52
Quote by gavster1

Fair play to them for replying at least as I expected you would simply not have gotten a reply at all.

2 out of 18 is piss poor in my books its not like they are busy and I certainly hope the first one is not the spokesman
We'll see what the papers have to say in the new year if the response is not better.

Liked by: Ally

TAYLOR.
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 30.12.2019  ·  #53
Some of us including myself are blaming Galway County Council instead of Galway City Council.
Galway County Council have a very good aires in Portumna maybe city councillors should have a word with the Country councillors

Liked by: Ally, baguette, eirebus, sprinter, +deleted user

mad max
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 30.12.2019  ·  #54
Ken,
Do you mean you blame the City council?

I have a feeling the councillors local to Portumna are the best ones to speak to,

Ally
Founder
Homepage: motorhomecraic.com
My Motorhome: Lunar Roadstar 780
Base Vehicle: Fiat 2.8 JTD
Subject:

· 
Posted: 30.12.2019  ·  #55

Liked by: baguette

Ally
Founder
Subject:

· 
Posted: 30.12.2019  ·  #56
Simple to leave them a review on their FB page.

Liked by: baguette, mad max

Chevy g20
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 30.12.2019  ·  #57
Quote by Ally

Simple to leave them a review on their FB page.

Done... Rating 1.2 out of 5. All is not going well with the busking ban either.

Liked by: Ally, ntg

sprinter
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

Galway overnigh

· 
Posted: 30.12.2019  ·  #58
Quote by TAYLOR.

Some of us including myself are blaming Galway County Council instead of Galway City Council.
Galway County Council have a very good aires in Portumna maybe city councillors should have a word with the Country councillors

Ken, I'm certainly not blaming the County.
But in your dreams if you think that City would look down their noses and talk to lowly County.

Liked by: TAYLOR.

baguette
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Rapido 963F
Base Vehicle: Ducato 2.8 JTD Power
Subject:

· 
Posted: 30.12.2019  ·  #59
Quote by TommyS

If you look at the legislation GCC are using to ban motorhomes and take that legislation out of context as GCC are doing one would say it's against the law to park a motorhome ANYWHERE in Galway

GCC has in fact hijacked Section 31 of the Local Government (Sanitary Services) Act, 1948 which says
A sanitary authority may by order prohibit the erection or retention of temporary dwellings on any land or water in their sanitary district if they are of opinion that such erection or retention would be prejudicial to public health or the amenities of the locality or would interfere to an unreasonable extent with traffic on any road and are applying it to motorhome parking, which if done properly does not cause any of issues Section 31 seeks to address.
Moreover, it was never intended as a control on the parking of self-contained motorhomes as obviously such motorhomes were not around in 1948.

IMHO a prosecution under the above Act for parking a motorhome in an approved parking place for vehicles and paying any parking fee applicable would not succeed unless GCC could prove it was causing issues the above Act is there to address.

Liked by: Ally, ntg

The Rambler
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle: Vauxhall Movano 2.5 CDTI
Subject:

· 
Posted: 30.12.2019  ·  #60
Quote by baguette

IMHO a prosecution under the above Act for parking a motorhome in an approved parking place for vehicles and paying any parking fee applicable would not succeed unless GCC could prove it was causing issues the above Act is there to address.

They'll still slap you with a fine though won’t they.

Ally
Founder
Subject:

· 
Posted: 30.12.2019  ·  #61
Quote by The Rambler

We need someone who is willing to fight it and us to crowdfund it.

Would that then force them to change the by laws and just banning us anyhow? As they don't even seem to care.

baguette
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 31.12.2019  ·  #62
Quote by The Rambler

Quote by baguette

If you're parked in the normal fashion as any other vehicle in an authorised parking place they can't give a parking ticket, it would need to be a notice of prosecution for the unauthorised erection, placing or retaining a temporary dwelling - or something like that :-/
There is no mention of a temporary dwelling in the Local Authorities (Traffic Wardens) Act 1975 (Fixed Charge Offences) Regulations 2006 under which parking fines can be issued.

sprinter
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

Galway overnight

· 
Posted: 31.12.2019  ·  #63
Quote by baguette

Quote by The Rambler

Quote by baguette

If you're parked in the normal fashion as any other vehicle in an authorised parking place they can't give a parking ticket, it would need to be a notice of prosecution for the unauthorised erection, placing or retaining a temporary dwelling - or something like that :-/
There is no mention of a temporary dwelling in the Local Authorities (Traffic Wardens) Act 1975 (Fixed Charge Offences) Regulations 2006 under which parking fines can be issued.

There is certainly nothing in the Section 71 that was quoted at me,so long as you have no ads on the side .
Unless they want to claim that the brand name or the garage name on the number plate is covered in the act.

Liked by: Ally

baguette
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 31.12.2019  ·  #64
Cllr. John Connolly's quote "Are you seeking to park on the public road? This is prohibited under Section 71 of the Roads Act 1993, not simply in Galway but throughout the country" just goes to demonstrate that he hasn't the foggiest idea about what he is talking about.
The regulation he is referring to is there to control the placement of vehicles/trailers on the public road by advertisers in an attempt get around applying for planning permission for a permanently fixed sign, which the probably would not be granted.

However, if one was using their motorhome as a mobile brothel which had a sign advertising the services available within, that would be in contravention of Section 71 of the Roads Act 1993 :lol: :P

Liked by: Ally, Chevy g20, sprinter

Ally
Founder
Subject:

· 
Posted: 02.02.2020  ·  #65
Still the debate on FB rages on.

You can park in Galway no problems and you can't.

I'm just going to stay away from Galway, until the City Council welcome us, whether you can park there or not.

jacktherev
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Adria Vision
Base Vehicle: Renault
Subject:

· 
Posted: 02.02.2020  ·  #66
So long as there’s a doubt about us being welcomed I won’t be spending my money in Galway. There’s many other towns/cities that are gals to have us and that’s where I will be going. It’s Galway loss not mine.

Fordtransit
Subject:

· 
Posted: 03.02.2020  ·  #67
The Healy Raes are the boys to bring this debate up I recon...

sprinter
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

Galway overnight

· 
Posted: 03.02.2020  ·  #68
Since that lot are only interested in themselves .
What exactly would be in it for them?

CHAUSSON
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Knaus Sport Ti 700 UFB Silverline
Base Vehicle: Renault Master 150 dci Quickshift
Subject:

· 
Posted: 03.02.2020  ·  #69
Quote by sprinter

Since that lot are only interested in themselves .
What exactly would be in it for them?

Maybe we should not be picking on people that are on our side. scroll on to 17.45

Liked by: baguette, davetherave, eirebus, mad max, panda, Paul mcg, samih, +deleted user

sprinter
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

Galway overnight

· 
Posted: 03.02.2020  ·  #70
I listened to him geting 6 minutes of screen time in 2014. So what has he or his family have done anything to improve the system since then,have they brought it up in the Dall.
There no better then any of the others only in it for the betterment of themselves and their croneys.

baguette
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 20.04.2020  ·  #71
TAYLOR.
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 20.04.2020  ·  #72
Well done colin heard it live this am

Liked by: eirebus

Albert the Talbot
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Pilote Galaxy 92
Base Vehicle: Sprinter
Subject:

· 
Posted: 20.04.2020  ·  #73
It’s great to get another airing on Galway FM, somebody with a bit of nous my pick up on it and start the ball rolling. We can only but hope

Ally
Founder
Subject:

· 
Posted: 20.04.2020  ·  #74
Well done Colin, again. It's hard to keep the faith, especially with Galway City Council, so fair play. 👍

JJF
Eat's Sleep's craic
Homepage: MotorhomeCraic.com
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 20.04.2020  ·  #75
Comet
Craic'er
My Motorhome: Rapido
Base Vehicle: Ducato
Subject:

· 
Posted: 20.04.2020  ·  #76
Well done, a great, well spoken and well researched request to help us motorhomers and the local Galway businesses.
Good stuff

samih
Craic'er
My Motorhome: Red bus (getting there)
Base Vehicle: Sprinter 313 CDi LWB '14
Subject:

· 
Posted: 24.04.2020  ·  #77
Very good interview Colin. And that KerryTV clip definitely makes us want to visit Cromane, Co. Kerry. The locals including Healy-Ray send a very welcoming message there.

Liked by: CHAUSSON, eirebus

Selected quotes for multi-quoting:   0

Registered users in this topic

Currently no registered users in this section

The statistic shows who was online during the last 5 minutes. Updated every 90 seconds.