hillton9
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Rollerteam t-line 740
Base Vehicle: Fiat muiltijet
Subject:

Solar powered fridge

· 
Posted: 13.04.2020  ·  #1
Does anyone know if there’s such a thing as a solar powered fridge I tested my solar panel output today and it was reading almost 14 volts surely a 12 volt fridge would work on that voltage or am I talking s..t ,think about it what a saving on gas if you had solar power ,just a thought

Liked by: GMAC, sprinter

panda
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Concerto 255
Base Vehicle: Fiat Ducato 9 spd Auto
Subject:

Re: Solar powered fridge

· 
Posted: 13.04.2020  ·  #2
Quote by hillton9

Does anyone know if there’s such a thing as a solar powered fridge I tested my solar panel output today and it was reading almost 14 volts surely a 12 volt fridge would work on that voltage or am I talking s..t ,think about it what a saving on gas if you had solar power ,just a thought

Its not the voltage that matters Robert, Its the amount of current ( Amps ) the fridge will draw from your batteries. You would need a lot of solar and battery capacity to run a fridge.

Liked by: eirebus

mad max
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 13.04.2020  ·  #3
@Hilton9

It was worked out in the past and a fridge uses little gas in a 24hr period,

Cant remember exactly but it was worked out based on gas weight burned per hour,

It would be great to get a solar fridge in fairness,

The Rambler
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle: Vauxhall Movano 2.5 CDTI
Subject:

· 
Posted: 13.04.2020  ·  #4
This question has popped up time and time again. In essence, yes it is feasible to run a compressor fridge from solar, but there are a lot of variables that need to be factored in. You don't power the fridge from solar directly of coarse. You would run the fridge from an inverter which is powered by the battery which is charged by solar. With compressor fridges consuming anything between 25 - 40 Ah/ day. It is possible.

But it is not feasible to power an absorption 3-way fridge from solar. A 3-way fridge could consume up to 300 Ah/ day on 12 volts.

hillton9
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Rollerteam t-line 740
Base Vehicle: Fiat muiltijet
Subject:

· 
Posted: 14.04.2020  ·  #5
I have a small drugs fridge which came from a nursing home which I replaced a few years ago it’s an ammonia fridge so it has no working parts it works on heat must plug it into the Motorhome see what happens through the inverter

The Rambler
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 14.04.2020  ·  #6
Quote by hillton9

I have a small drugs fridge which came from a nursing home which I replaced a few years ago it’s an ammonia fridge so it has no working parts it works on heat must plug it into the Motorhome see what happens through the inverter

if it's very small like you say Robert, it might be a lot lighter on juice than the typical absorption fridge. Keep us up to date in how you get on.

samih
Craic'er
My Motorhome: Red bus (getting there)
Base Vehicle: Sprinter 313 CDi LWB '14
Subject:

· 
Posted: 15.04.2020  ·  #7
I have had my Waeco 50L compressor fridge running on pure solar since last week filled with beer supplied by a 320 W solar panel. The battery voltage of a bank 2 x 100 Ah leisure batteries has gone down to minimum of 12.5 Volts overnight and during the day the battery floats at 13.8 - 14.0 Volts until the dusk.

So far this month I have generated 3.46 kWh and consumed about 2.5 kWh using the fridge and music (when working at the van). To me it seems that most of the time the panel is just itching to produce more but there is not enough load to use the power so the system just idles and float charges the battery at 0.5 Amps. The fridge when compressor is running uses 38 Watts according to the charge controller.

panda
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Concerto 255
Base Vehicle: Fiat Ducato 9 spd Auto
Subject:

· 
Posted: 15.04.2020  ·  #8
Quote by samih

I have had my Waeco 50L compressor fridge running on pure solar since last week filled with beer supplied by a 320 W solar panel. The battery voltage of a bank 2 x 100 Ah leisure batteries has gone down to minimum of 12.5 Volts overnight and during the day the battery floats at 13.8 - 14.0 Volts until the dusk.

So far this month I have generated 3.46 kWh and consumed about 2.5 kWh using the fridge and music (when working at the van). To me it seems that most of the time the panel is just itching to produce more but there is not enough load to use the power so the system just idles and float charges the battery at 0.5 Amps. The fridge when compressor is running uses 38 Watts according to the charge controller.

Brilliant info Samih ..... Compressor fridge's seem the way to go with such low power consumption :up:

The Rambler
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 15.04.2020  ·  #9
Quote by panda

Brilliant info Samih ..... Compressor fridge's seem the way to go with such low power consumption :up:

Indeed. And that is 38 watts when the compressor is running which is usually about 25 percent of the time. My absorption fridge runs at 120 watts , 24/7 on electricity.

Liked by: panda

locuschird
Subject:

· 
Posted: 15.04.2020  ·  #10
with the right solar power configuration and power requirement calculations, you should be able to run any refrigerator with solar power.

Daffysparks

Subject:

· 
Posted: 15.04.2020  ·  #11
Quote by locuschird

with the right solar power configuration and power requirement calculations, you should be able to run any refrigerator with solar power.

Providing you have the sun. What about night time, it does happen. Wet grey days, oh and winter. I remain unconvinced. Sorry

The Rambler
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 15.04.2020  ·  #12
Quote by locuschird

Not an absorption fridge. Mine would consume 240 Ah per day. I couldn’t physically fit solar panels big enough to replace 240 Ah per day.

Liked by: ntg, panda

Selected quotes for multi-quoting:   0

Registered users in this topic

Currently no registered users in this section

The statistic shows who was online during the last 5 minutes. Updated every 90 seconds.