StrandCampingDoonbeg
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: mobilvetta mh 85
Base Vehicle: Fiat
Subject:

Full timers and long stayers

· 
Posted: 06.04.2020  ·  #1
There is a continental MH parked and occupied less than a mile from me. No services where it is parked. It arrived on Saturday. Did the MH arrive in Ireland before the travel restrictions? What will the occupants do in this situation? Where did they come from before getting to Doonbeg?

I’m not going to offer my services as it would definitely upset the locals if I’m seen to be encouraging unnecessary travel. If asked I will let the occupiers empty their cassette but only one time.

That said I’m thinking if I was away what would I do?

The static site in the village has blocked access to his site and is not permitting owners of their own statics to his site.

What are full timers doing? Have they all found safe and suitable layups?

The Rambler
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle: Vauxhall Movano 2.5 CDTI
Subject:

Re: Full timers and long stayers

· 
Posted: 06.04.2020  ·  #2
I think shutting down static sites might not have been such a good idea. I heard one person text in to the radio to say he has been living on a static site for twenty years, and has had to vacate with nowhere to go other than stay with his very elderly father. The law of unintended consequences maybe

Liked by: panda

StrandCampingDoonbeg
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 06.04.2020  ·  #3
Quote by The Rambler

I think shutting down static sites might not have been such a good idea. I heard one person text in to the radio to say he has been living on a static site for twenty years, and has had to vacate with nowhere to go other than stay with his very elderly father. The law of unintended consequences maybe

The site for statics in Doonbeg is holiday season use only, not anyone’s full time residence. I see in England and Wales a number of sites have opened for full timers only, it stops the traveling.

panda
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Concerto 255
Base Vehicle: Fiat Ducato 9 spd Auto
Subject:

· 
Posted: 06.04.2020  ·  #4
The Travel Trolls from UK have been travelling around Ireland since start of January...They are currently locked down in the remotes of Cork somewhere in their van on a roadside parking area. In this video they drove into Bantry to empty cassette, get water etc at the Aire there so looks like thats still open and an option for Continental Travellers...

The Rambler
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle: Vauxhall Movano 2.5 CDTI
Subject:

· 
Posted: 06.04.2020  ·  #5
Quote by StrandcampingDoonbeg

The site for statics in Doonbeg is holiday season use only, not anyone’s full time residence. I see in England and Wales a number of sites have opened for full timers only, it stops the traveling.

That’s an important distinction all right between full time dwellers and holiday parks.

RTV
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Rollerteam Auto Roller
Base Vehicle: Fiat Ducato 2.0 JTD
Subject:

· 
Posted: 07.04.2020  ·  #6
When we were out before the new restrictions came in place, we saw a bunch of continental vans around Kerry, even at that point ferries, etc were cancelled and even if they wanted to go back they couldn't... Now, I don't know what they could be possibly doing.

Plenty of little places to park a van and stay with no hassle, don't think the gards will give you too much grief if you keep it to yourself, it's not like you have many options either. The only challenge would be dumping the cassette, other than that.. getting gas/water is handy enough on most garages and you can always run the van to charge up the batteries if you don't have solar.

We used a public toilet as we do have the green solution in our cassette and we always make sure to be extremely careful and leave things nice and tidy for the next one. At the end of the day, it's exactly the same "content". But no easy task to find public toilets sometimes either...

RTV
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Rollerteam Auto Roller
Base Vehicle: Fiat Ducato 2.0 JTD
Subject:

· 
Posted: 07.04.2020  ·  #7

There is a continental MH parked and occupied less than a mile from me. No services where it is parked. It arrived on Saturday. Did the MH arrive in Ireland before the travel restrictions? What will the occupants do in this situation? Where did they come from before getting to Doonbeg?

I’m not going to offer my services as it would definitely upset the locals if I’m seen to be encouraging unnecessary travel. If asked I will let the occupiers empty their cassette but only one time.

The static site in the village has blocked access to his site and is not permitting owners of their own statics to his site.

Don't think anyone can give you grief if you're helping out someone stranded. If you want to help, I think there'll be no harm on calling over to them and see if they actually need any help and if they do, do you think anyone will call you out for having a campervan in your park?

I get it if there's a few vans going in and out, but just one static van for a few days honestly I don't see any issues.

StrandCampingDoonbeg
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 07.04.2020  ·  #8
Quote by RTV

Don't think anyone can give you grief if you're helping out someone stranded. If you want to help, I think there'll be no harm on calling over to them and see if they actually need any help and if they do, do you think anyone will call you out for having a campervan in your park?

I get it if there's a few vans going in and out, but just one static van for a few days honestly I don't see any issues.

The van has moved on to pastures new this morning.

Liked by: RTV

sprinter
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Matilda 2 Pilote 703FP Explorateur
Base Vehicle: 3ltr 318 Sprinter Automatic
Subject:

Full timers and long stayers

· 
Posted: 13.04.2020  ·  #9
A different kind of view, if you build it they will come and use it.

The swallows have arrived over the weekend , we would all,normally be reporting first sithing from all over the country in our favourite parking places.

Selected quotes for multi-quoting:   0

Registered users in this topic

Currently no registered users in this section

The statistic shows who was online during the last 5 minutes. Updated every 90 seconds.