Truma boiler, hot water query

Can't seem to ignite boiler...

mysteriousdrk
Subject:

Truma boiler, hot water query

· 
Posted: 02.04.2020  ·  #1
Hi all,

I'm new to this motorhome craic and I'm having some hot water issues, mainly that i can't get any. The vehicle is a 1995 Fiat Ducato 1.9d, conversion by Rimor L'Europeo. The boiler (icture attached ) is a Truma 07/96, a relic that i can't find any information about online. It only works on gas, and it powers the heter and the hot water. The heater works fine, but when I turn on the boiler, despite the light going green... nothing seems to happen. Gas bottle is open, hot water pipe is open, boiler on... nothing. I hear no sound at all - which leads me to believe that the boiler isn't igniting. Now, I'm not sure how to operate the boiler at all either so I haven neither drained nor filled it, nor do I know how and/or when to do either of those things.

ANY help or advice that ye can offer would be greatly appreciated. I've attached a picture of the control panel too in case that helps, the water pump works fine too.

Thnks!
Mark

ntg
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Autotrail
Base Vehicle: Comanche
Subject:

Re: Truma boiler, hot water query

· 
Posted: 02.04.2020  ·  #2
Have you checked that the gas pipe for the boiler is not teed off seperately and possibly turned off by a isolating valve?

Europa
Love's the Craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 02.04.2020  ·  #3
There is a valve in the pipeline that drains the water automatically out of the boiler when the water temperature drops below 2 degrees, if the van was unused over the winter the boiler may be empty. Worth checking. When you said the heater was working, if hot air is blown out that means the water is being heated. Best of luck.

mysteriousdrk
Subject:

· 
Posted: 02.04.2020  ·  #4
Hi all,

I'm actually wrong it's a truma b103 - managed to get at the back of it today, I added the photo below.

"Have you checked that the gas pipe for the boiler is not teed off seperately and possibly turned off by a isolating valve? " <<
yes, it doesn't seem to be.

" if the van was unused over the winter the boiler may be empty. Worth checking",

this might sound silly but how do I check to see if it's empty?

Still no joy with the heat but I still think I'm just doing something wrong. I've heard it said that the water pump should be on in conjunction with the boiler (and gas etc), is that correct?

Thanks for all the help!

Cheers!
Mark

mad max
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 02.04.2020  ·  #5
Have you water coming out when the hot tap is on?

Liked by: eirebus

JonMac46
Love's the Craic
My Motorhome: Dethleffs Globetrotter 1999 Ducato 2.8 idTD
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 02.04.2020  ·  #6
The heater and the boiler are one thing. If you have heat, then your problem is the water in the hot water pipes. Airlock?

mysteriousdrk
Subject:

· 
Posted: 02.04.2020  ·  #7
No, zero hot water ever!

I've left the water running for a good while too just on the off chance that it takes awhile with the pump on and water running (even though you wouldn't be long running out of water), but no luck,

Thanks!
Mark

mysteriousdrk
Subject:

· 
Posted: 02.04.2020  ·  #8
If there is an airlock, which is possible - any idea how I might flush the pipes?

Thanks!
Mark

mad max
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 02.04.2020  ·  #9
Do you have water coming out of the hot tap?

D A V
Craic'er
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

Hot Water

· 
Posted: 02.04.2020  ·  #10
I once had a airlock in the water system, two different guys tried to solve it and couldn't, it solved its self when we're allowed bring it for a long drive on a bumpy twisty road it will clear its self .

Liked by: mysteriousdrk

mysteriousdrk
Subject:

· 
Posted: 02.04.2020  ·  #11
Ah, apologies, I misread that - there is indeed a good supply of (cold) water when I turn on the hot tap.

Thanks!
mark

mad max
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 02.04.2020  ·  #12
Quote by mysteriousdrk

Ah, apologies, I misread that - there is indeed a good supply of (cold) water when I turn on the hot tap.

Thanks!
mark

That rules out an air lock so,

Is any appliance that uses gas working?

If yes then your regulator and gas supply are good,

If No then you have a problem with gas supply,

Is the battery charged?

When you say leave the pump on, has it a switch? Or does it go off when the tap is closed?

mysteriousdrk
Subject:

· 
Posted: 02.04.2020  ·  #13
The gas supply and regulator seem to be fine, both heater and gas hobs are working.

The water won’t come on unless the pump is turned on, this is achieved by pushing a big red button above the door (see control panel photo in my initial post). When I turn off the water at the source (tap/shower etc), that pump cuts out on it’s own.

The leisure battery is 2/3 charged which Id assume should be sufficient.

Thanks!
Mark

Albert the Talbot
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Pilote Galaxy 92
Base Vehicle: Sprinter
Subject:

· 
Posted: 02.04.2020  ·  #14
Lack of charge in your battery could well be the problem, put EHU or charger to it and see how you get on

baguette
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Rapido 963F
Base Vehicle: Ducato 2.8 JTD Power
Subject:

· 
Posted: 03.04.2020  ·  #15
Here's a link to where you can get a user's guide http://www.manuals.group/resul…LER%20B103

I notice in the photo you posted there seems to be an additional more modern control knob added, perhaps the previous owner added it as a workaround to sort a problem, could you track him/her down.
Have you checked what happens with each of the four settings on the original control, perhaps they are, 1 = heat only, 2 = 40° hot water only, 3 = 60° hot water, 4 = heat + hot water, or something like that and not necessarily in that order. Modern Truma units do have those options.

mysteriousdrk
Subject:

· 
Posted: 03.04.2020  ·  #16
Good idea, I'll see if I can - I might be able to get a number for him. That vent gauge is a bit of a mystery alright and could definitely have something to do with it. I'll try all this out and get back to you to let you know how it went - thanks very much for all the help! That link to the manual site is class, thanks!

Cheers!
Mark

Albert the Talbot
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 03.04.2020  ·  #17
You may have to wait half an hour for the heater to warm the water. It’s not instant.
Just saying in case you didn’t know

Stoney
Just doing it!
My Motorhome: LeVoyageur
Base Vehicle: Mercedes Sprinter
Subject:

· 
Posted: 03.04.2020  ·  #18
It appears that you have two separate units here. One, the heater, probably mounted on the front of your wardrobe. This supplies the space heating through vents, driven by a fan which is controlled by the Truma Vent switch. Set to the 'Auto' position it will increase, or decrease, the speed of the fan depending on the heat level selected on the dial 1 - 6 etc.
The other switch (with visible wiring) is, obviously, a retrofit item i.e. installed at some time after the motorhome was manufactured, and it is the control switch for a 'stand alone' water heater similar to the Truma Ultrastore. This unit only supplies hot water and the temperature is set from the control switch.
If, as you say, you are getting a green light on this switch (which indicates the burner has ignited) it is possible that the PCB in the boiler is faulty.
It is also a good idea to check if the external cowl cover has been removed. This is a rectangular plastic cover mounted on the outside of the wall against which the boiler is fitted.

Ci Mizar 190

Subject:

· 
Posted: 03.04.2020  ·  #19
The model type is better known as a b 10. The controls for this are a lot more basic with button which has an off 70° and 50°. So I would think like already stated the controls can not be trusted and any of the setting may be used to operate the boiler. There should be a clicking noise of the igniter regardless of not having gas supply once it is on, you have electric supply and the igniter isnt broken. Check for this.

mysteriousdrk
Subject:

· 
Posted: 03.04.2020  ·  #20
So, I actually got in touch with the previous owner and he claims to have never used the hot water... ever - which is odd but fair enough!

Good point about the cowl, most manuals for similar Truma boilers seem to mention that (still waiting for the B103 manual to download/be sourced through the earlier link) removing it is essential but all I can see on my van is what looks like a standard metal vent - nothing to remove. Though there is a random circular hole leading to nothing from within the boiler area. I’ll get some pics tomorrow. Why would anyone remove that section, is there a good reason to?

Lastly, there is no sound of ignition at all when the boiler is turned on.

Thanks for all the help folks!

Cheers!
Mark

tony glenn
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Rimor Europeo
Base Vehicle: Ford Transit
Subject:

· 
Posted: 03.04.2020  ·  #21
The previous owner never used the hot water? Never ever? Not even a teensy weensy bit?

Albert the Talbot
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 03.04.2020  ·  #22
Quote by tony glenn

The previous owner never used the hot water? Never ever? Not even a teensy weensy bit?

Nice excuse to say that he didn’t know the heater was not working in my eyes

Liked by: tony glenn

JJF
Eat's Sleep's craic
Homepage: MotorhomeCraic.com
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 04.04.2020  ·  #23
The Truma Ultrastore is one that seems to give a bit of grief.
Repaired one in a caravan for my mate, took it apart and manually supplied the gas and it worked OK.
The PCB does give trouble on them, this guy repairs them in the UK and has good reports.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Tru…SwHoFXqHlm

But, the one on my mates caravan had a problem with the level indicator that has a trigger to the gas solonoid via the PCB to switch on the gas, it would fire up for about 5 or 6 seconds and shut off, thought it was a thermocouple but it was pinning out OK, The problem was one of the sensors (there is 2) right beside the 240v heating element, they are soldered on to the loom that goes back to the PCB.
We got one from ebay for about £30 if i remember correctly. We got it to run by putting in a 3K5 resistor to mimic the imput from the sensor and it ran fine and proved that that was the fault but you cannot leave it there as it wouldnt be safe and could cause overheating concern and be dangerous. The new sensor solved the problem when it arrived.

Liked by: ntg, panda, sprinter, TommyS, +deleted user

mysteriousdrk
Subject:

· 
Posted: 07.04.2020  ·  #24
Thanks very much for all he insight folks. I removed the cowl cover and tried again, no luck though. It seems likely to be an issue with the PCB, I'm going to get an electrician to check it all out as soon as I can and hopefully that will shed some light on the situation.

Thanks!
Mark

Liked by: eirebus

the fat controller
Eat's Sleep's craic
Homepage: fincaangelacat.com
My Motorhome: Benimar Tessoro 481
Base Vehicle: Ford Transit
Subject:

· 
Posted: 09.04.2020  ·  #25
My last van had a truma and apart from the frost valve there was an air relief valve with a pipe running out through the floor, when I tried to heat up water it just dumped it out through that valve onto the driveway and could not get any through the taps. Replaced that valve and it then worked.

Selected quotes for multi-quoting:   0

Registered users in this topic

Currently no registered users in this section

The statistic shows who was online during the last 5 minutes. Updated every 90 seconds.