Flipperdipper
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: HOBBY 600
Base Vehicle: Fiat Ducato 2.8
Subject:

Damp.

· 
Posted: 08.04.2020  ·  #1
I've been doing a few jobs on the MH over the last few weeks but today was a real downer. I noticed a soft spot in the corner of the garage so I cut the floor covering and pulled back the corner to reveal a load of rot, timber just disintegrating on touch.

As I'm not too sure whether there's structural damage or it's just the corner of the floor I'm going to have to leave it in to someone who really knows what they're doing. If anyone has had similar problems and got sorted or can personally recommend someone I'd appreciate it.

mad max
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

Re: Damp.

· 
Posted: 08.04.2020  ·  #2
Is that the bottom floor Liam?

Is it far from the solid timber if you were to cut out the soft damp stuff and replace it with a new piece?

Is the wall damp aswell or just a bit of staining?

Flipperdipper
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: HOBBY 600
Base Vehicle: Fiat Ducato 2.8
Subject:

· 
Posted: 08.04.2020  ·  #3
Yes John, that's the floor and the bottom of the wall is damp where it's discoloured. The trouble is I can't figure out if the walls are resting on the floor, which is a ply-aeroboard-ply sandwich, or if the floor is butted up to the walls but not actually supporting them.

sprinter
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Matilda 2 Pilote 703FP Explorateur
Base Vehicle: 3ltr 318 Sprinter Automatic
Subject:

Damp.

· 
Posted: 08.04.2020  ·  #4
I presuming its an outside rear corner, at this stage you should pull out all the flooring and check the opposite corner you may be able to which way it's mounted. Is there any steel frame work underneath, the whole floor could be laid down onto this and then the wall batons screwed down onto this

mad max
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 08.04.2020  ·  #5
When I said bottom floor (I thought your Hobby has a double floor)

First to do is find where the water/leak started and get that sorted

Im not much good at recomending anybody local to you Liam,

Hope you get it sorted handy enough,

Is it a job you would consider tackling yourself or get it done by somebody?.......might save a lot of suggestions if you are not diy

JJF
Eat's Sleep's craic
Homepage: MotorhomeCraic.com
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 08.04.2020  ·  #6
Horrid to find that Liam, but chin up and have it sorted.
It’ll need stripping back until you are getting solid dry structure and you’ll find out how it’s done, whether the wall sits on floor or butts against it. Fully agree with Mad Max that the source of the leak needs to be found and sorted first.
Cannot recommended anyone in your neck of the woods but there is a few in Northern Ireland and a couple of guys up here in Donegal capable of sorting it. But maybe it’s something you can tackle yourself? You’ve certainty made a start and further stripping required in any case.

TommyS
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: EuraMobil
Base Vehicle: Fiat
Subject:

· 
Posted: 08.04.2020  ·  #7
I had a hole you could put your first through repaired by Simon at LTS. He did a really good job.

Liked by: eirebus, +deleted user

Daffysparks

Subject:

· 
Posted: 08.04.2020  ·  #8
Quote by Flipperdipper

Yes John, that's the floor and the bottom of the wall is damp where it's discoloured. The trouble is I can't figure out if the walls are resting on the floor, which is a ply-aeroboard-ply sandwich, or if the floor is butted up to the walls but not actually supporting them.

I’m no expert on that Liam, but I think most MH are built from the floor up. As far as I can see the floor is fitted, and possibly covered with the vinyl, and then all the cabinets and appliances are fitted. The walls are then fitted, and the roof. But I don’t know for sure, and definitely not in your case. Maybe look online for how they manufacture the Hobby brand. Best of luck with it. That’s a bummer. But you will get it sorted

Liked by: CHAUSSON, eirebus

sprinter
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Matilda 2 Pilote 703FP Explorateur
Base Vehicle: 3ltr 318 Sprinter Automatic
Subject:

Damp.

· 
Posted: 08.04.2020  ·  #9
liam what about guys out on the New line at Fort& Bargy Newline camper conversions

hillton9
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Rollerteam t-line 740
Base Vehicle: Fiat muiltijet
Subject:

· 
Posted: 08.04.2020  ·  #10
Hi Liam when I fixed the rear spar on my last van chausson the floor had plugs in the floor then the sides and back where pushed on to the plugs the side and backs where not resting on the floor but from your photos it looks like the sides are resting on the floor is that the ground I can see through the holes

Selected quotes for multi-quoting:   0

Registered users in this topic

Currently no registered users in this section

The statistic shows who was online during the last 5 minutes. Updated every 90 seconds.