Conversion and insurance advice needed

What rules do I need to follow for a self build campervan in order to get insurance

Wexico
Subject:

· 
Posted: 03.04.2020  ·  #1
Hi guys I need help in a hurry, any advice would be greatly appreciated, I bought a Renault traffic minibus van a short while back, I have started converting it into a campervan and when it's done I will change it to a camper on the tax book, I'm only a few weeks away from completing it, I do not have access to the drivers seat from the back unless I physically climb over the driver seat into the cab or exit a side door and enter through the driver door. A friend told me today that I wont get campervan insurance on it unless I have a clear walk way to the drivers seat, is this true, he also said it has to have a gas hob, I was only planning on using a portable camping hob, is all my hard work gone down the drain??????? :'(

eirebus
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Dethleffs Advantage
Base Vehicle: Fiat 2.3
Subject:

Re: Conversion and insurance advice needed

· 
Posted: 03.04.2020  ·  #2
Unfortunately for you, your friend is correct ☹

Liked by: Wexico

StephenC
Love's the Craic
My Motorhome: Vanderlust Van Conversion
Base Vehicle: Fiat Ducato X290 LWB 130
Subject:

Re: Conversion and insurance advice needed

· 
Posted: 04.04.2020  ·  #3
Check the Revenue website or do a search on here for the link to the specs that they require. You need to have a fixed cooker for revenue but I don't think the walk way to the front is a revenue requirement.

I know Dolmen require you to have a clear walkway for insurance but I don't think Stuarts do might be worth giving them a call to find out.

Or you could replace the double front passenger seat with a single one.

Liked by: eirebus

sprinter
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Matilda 2 Pilote 703FP Explorateur
Base Vehicle: 3ltr 318 Sprinter Automatic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 04.04.2020  ·  #4
An extract from the regs.
To be deemed a motor caravan, a vehicle must be a special purpose EU category M1, M2, or M vehicle 3, and must be constructed to include living accommodation which contains at least the following equipment:

seats and table, sleeping accommodation – which may be converted from the seatscooking facilities and storage facilitiesQuality of living accommodation

It should be noted that this equipment must be rigidly fixed in the living compartment; however the table may be designed to be easily removable.

Be aware some people have converted vans into motor caravans to a very basic standard. Have a think about whether you are looking for luxury or the bare basics before buying.

While you may be tempted to just pick up a camping stove for your camper van – it should be rigidly fixed in the vehicle. Any gas cooking appliance should be installed properly and safely.

Selected quotes for multi-quoting:   0

Registered users in this topic

Currently no registered users in this section

The statistic shows who was online during the last 5 minutes. Updated every 90 seconds.