StrandCampingDoonbeg
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: mobilvetta mh 85
Base Vehicle: Fiat
Subject:

M50 toll

· 
Posted: 26.03.2020  ·  #1
Over the years I met many people who have come over via Dublin Port but have not realised the M50 toll was payable. When I was on the M50 last Friday I remarked to Amanda just how obvious the toll signs were and said to myself I’ll pay that when we stop.
Sat at home (where else) yesterday and thought oh sh*t I haven’t paid the toll so I rung up eflow but they were having problems taking payments but eventually I paid online and rang them this morning to ensure all was ok to be told I should have paid €4 not €3.10 as my uk registered is a heavy goods vehicle. I said yes private heavy goods but equally it is a motorhome. After a hold that came back and said ok €3.10 was right. I was also advised that no late payment charges apply because I paid before they started the penalty payment process but if my van was Irish registered I probably would have had to pay a late payment charge.

Liked by: ColinM, sprinter, +deleted user

eirebus
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Dethleffs Advantage
Base Vehicle: Fiat 2.3
Subject:

Re: M50 toll

· 
Posted: 26.03.2020  ·  #2
You can register the van for video toll ( it's free ) and it only costs€2.60 ,it saves all the messing about, I have the car and van registered and I've never driven the car across it 😁

baguette
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Rapido 963F
Base Vehicle: Ducato 2.8 JTD Power
Subject:

· 
Posted: 26.03.2020  ·  #3
Your motorhome is legally a private passenger vehicle, EU Vehicle Category M1 = passenger vehicle with not more than 8 passenger seats plus the driver's seat, it is not by any measure a 'goods vehicle'..

The DVLA have chosen, for simplicity, to put them into motor taxation class PLGV or PHGV instead of putting them in the 'car' category or creating a dedicated 'motor caravan' category as we have here in the RoI.

I can see where confusion may arise in jurisdictions outside the UK if reference to the 'taxation' category is the method of identifying vehicle type. The DVLA's use of 'van with windows' to describe PVC's may also, in the same way, be problematic outside the UK.

Liked by: eirebus, sprinter, StrandCampingDoonbeg, +deleted user

StrandCampingDoonbeg
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 26.03.2020  ·  #4
Quote by baguette

Your motorhome is legally a private passenger vehicle, EU Vehicle Category M1 = passenger vehicle with not more than 8 passenger seats plus the driver's seat, it is not by any measure a 'goods vehicle'..

The DVLA have chosen, for simplicity, to put them into motor taxation class PLGV or PHGV instead of putting them in the 'car' category or creating a dedicated 'motor caravan' category as we have here in the RoI.

I can see where confusion may arise in jurisdictions outside the UK if reference to the 'taxation' category is the method of identifying vehicle type. The DVLA's use of 'van with windows' to describe PVC's may also, in the same way, be problematic outside the UK.

I agree mine is taxed as a private heavy goods vehicle, being over 3.5 tonnes. Cheaper than most car tax brackets for a 2.3 diesel.

TommyS
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: EuraMobil
Subject:

· 
Posted: 26.03.2020  ·  #5
I used the M50 in my Peugeot Expert ,6 seats and wheelchair ramp. I paid the normal car toll and thought nothing of it until a few weeks later I got a letter to pay the bigger toll. Sticking to principle I contacted them They argued that it was a commercial vehicle. It is taxed and insured as a car so I rang them. The M50 guys couldnt sort it and gave me the number for the enforcement unit. After quite a heated debate I agreed to send a copy of the tax book which they accepted. I did not have to pay the 80 cents
That was ok until I received my telephone bill which included £30 for my calls to the South.

Moral of the story. Principle sometimes costs

Davy
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Hymer B598 PL
Base Vehicle: Fiat 130 hp multijet
Subject:

· 
Posted: 26.03.2020  ·  #6
I have used the video system for years on the M50. It is cheaper than the pay by phone. I also have it linked to a Euro account, so no exchange issues. There is the potential for a Motorhome to be charged the commercial rate but a call to eflow will result in them tagging your registration as a car for all subsequent use.
Last September as we headed to France we used the Dublin tunnel. I asked the guy on the toll if we qualified for a free usage as we are over 3500kg (3850kg) but he smiled and stated we were not commercial. Still worth asking!
We came off the boat on Monday night at around midnight. Heading north through the tunnel we could not use the unmanned basket pay lanes due to 2m height restrictions. No booth was manned, so I used the left HGV lane expecting to pay there, but it was unmanned. As I approached the barrier it lifted. Not often you get a bonus. I was so pleased that at the Drogheda toll I let the girl keep the 10c change rather than accept potentially ‘dirty’ money.

Davy

Albert the Talbot
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Pilote Galaxy 92
Base Vehicle: Sprinter
Subject:

· 
Posted: 26.03.2020  ·  #7
I think there is a theory that if you fit a bull bar properly it blocks the camera. Just sayin .......

glastry
Love's the Craic
My Motorhome: Mercedes-Benz hymer s550
Base Vehicle: Mercedes
Subject:

m50 tolls

· 
Posted: 26.03.2020  ·  #8
Quote by StrandcampingDoonbeg

Over the years I met many people who have come over via Dublin Port but have not realised the M50 toll was payable. When I was on the M50 last Friday I remarked to Amanda just how obvious the toll signs were and said to myself I’ll pay that when we stop.
Sat at home (where else) yesterday and thought oh sh*t I haven’t paid the toll so I rung up eflow but they were having problems taking payments but eventually I paid online and rang them this morning to ensure all was ok to be told I should have paid €4 not €3.10 as my uk registered is a heavy goods vehicle. I said yes private heavy goods but equally it is a motorhome. After a hold that came back and said ok €3.10 was right. I was also advised that no late payment charges apply because I paid before they started the penalty payment process but if my van was Irish registered I probably would have had to pay a late payment charge.

The penny just dropped! -i think!!
i have two threatening letters from eflow about an unpaid toll last October, since i have a receipt from them for that day for three euros and ten cents, i was not bothered , so i emailed them this information along with The reference number.
They have emailed back that this is not satisfactory and that i must pay up!! (£43.04 pounds)
they must think i was driving a commercial and not a motorhome?
what should i do, if anything?

StrandCampingDoonbeg
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 26.03.2020  ·  #9
Well I rung 1890501050 and explained but that was before anything was processed or progressed. I’d try that first,

baguette
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 26.03.2020  ·  #10
It's important that you guys & gals understand that the toll operators and others, including police, refer to data from National Vehicle and Driver Files to decide how a vehicle is treated.
For that reason, it's important the information held on the NVDF is correct. The information on 'logbooks' comes from NVDF's so if the logbook has errors then so has the NVDF.
The most common error in the RoI is motor caravans being wrongly assigned EU Vehicle Category N1, which is a good vehicle instead of the correct category M1 which is a passenger vehicle with not more than 8 passenger seats plus a driver's seat, motorhomes fall into this category.

<BM>
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Rimor Superbrig
Base Vehicle: Ford Transit
Subject:

· 
Posted: 26.03.2020  ·  #11
Quote by baguette

It's important that you guys & gals understand that the toll operators and others, including police, refer to data from National Vehicle and Driver Files to decide how a vehicle is treated.
For that reason, it's important the information held on the NVDF is correct. The information on 'logbooks' comes from NVDF's so if the logbook has errors then so has the NVDF.
The most common error in the RoI is motor caravans being wrongly assigned EU Vehicle Category N1, which is a good vehicle instead of the correct category M1 which is a passenger vehicle with not more than 8 passenger seats plus a driver's seat, motorhomes fall into this category.

That's nothing, I've got a 3500kg payload on a vehicle with a MAM of 3500kgs. My wagon is officially weightless.

On the toll, if you ever find yourself inadvertently not paying and finding yourself with a week or two extra late payment fees, usually if you open an eflow account, they will waive the charge.

sprinter
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Matilda 2 Pilote 703FP Explorateur
Base Vehicle: 3ltr 318 Sprinter Automatic
Subject:

on M50 toll

· 
Posted: 26.03.2020  ·  #12
Quote by baguette

The most common error in the RoI is motor caravans being wrongly assigned EU Vehicle Category N1, which is a good vehicle instead of the eople who work in the bocorrect category M1 which is a passenger vehicle with not more than 8 passenger seats plus a driver's seat, motorhomes fall into this category.

I think the most common error is the feckers that run the toll system are running on software that is more then 6 years old and there is no internal company communication the people who work in the booth say that are working on number plate recognition, and their office say it's on the size of the vehicle.
The kilcock and the Waterford still show my van as commercial and it was transferred to camper over 5 years ago.
The M50 Eflow is the way to go, it's a pity the others don't use the same systom.

Liked by: glastry

glastry
Love's the Craic
Subject:

ALready paid

· 
Posted: 26.03.2020  ·  #13
Quote by TommyS

I used the M50 in my Peugeot Expert ,6 seats and wheelchair ramp. I paid the normal car toll and thought nothing of it until a few weeks later I got a letter to pay the bigger toll. Sticking to principle I contacted them They argued that it was a commercial vehicle. It is taxed and insured as a car so I rang them. The M50 guys couldnt sort it and gave me the number for the enforcement unit. After quite a heated debate I agreed to send a copy of the tax book which they accepted. I did not have to pay the 80 cents
That was ok until I received my telephone bill which included £30 for my calls to the South.

Moral of the story. Principle sometimes costs

i was just trying to say that i have already paid on the day we used the toll.
I have their Receipt.
NOW they have billed me for the wrong vehicle class.
Only asking for opinions on whether i actually need to do anything?
its there mistake , after years of paying as a car - why should i be intimidated into doing something?
these are practiced thieves, should i be wary?

TommyS
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 26.03.2020  ·  #14
I would contact them. I made the mistake by trying to do it by phone. I emailed them a copy of the tax book and they must have changed the details as I have used the M50 since with no problems

Liked by: eirebus

glastry
Love's the Craic
Subject:

m50 toll thieves

· 
Posted: 26.03.2020  ·  #15
thank you TOMMY.
i have sent a copy of their receipt.

baguette
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 26.03.2020  ·  #16
Quote by sprinter

Quote by baguette

The most common error in the RoI is motor caravans being wrongly assigned EU Vehicle Category N1, which is a good vehicle instead of the eople who work in the bocorrect category M1 which is a passenger vehicle with not more than 8 passenger seats plus a driver's seat, motorhomes fall into this category.

I think the most common error is the feckers that run the toll system are running on software that is more then 6 years old and there is no internal company communication the people who work in the booth say that are working on number plate recognition, and their office say it's on the size of the vehicle.
The kilcock and the Waterford still show my van as commercial and it was transferred to camper over 5 years ago.
The M50 Eflow is the way to go, it's a pity the others don't use the same systom.

The body type and taxation category might have been changed but was the EU vehicle category changed from N1 (commercial goods vehicle) to M1 (private passenger vehicle)

aria
My Motorhome: Autotrail Apache 700
Base Vehicle: Fiat Ducato 2.3 150
Subject:

· 
Posted: 18.07.2022  ·  #17
Folks, has anyone had hassle with this recently?

I got a toll request last week for non-payment so emailed through a copy of the toll payment receipt.

After 11 emails between yesterday & today, where I’m stating that it’s not a goods vehicle, quoting M1, offering copy of V5C etc, this is the final response from them-

Hi Patrick,

Thank you for contacting eflow.

Your vehicle is a campervan which the toll charge is 4.10.

Regards,
[Name removed]
Resolver Team.

From what I can find on their own website, it’s very clear that I’m not due them €4.10

Ive also told them that every other toll booth in the country charges car rate but it’s like talking to the wall at this stage.

aria
Subject:

· 
Posted: 18.07.2022  ·  #18
Should have said, I’m UK resident and it’s UK reg.

baguette
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 18.07.2022  ·  #19
aria
Subject:

· 
Posted: 18.07.2022  ·  #20
Exactly, but 11 emails later, Eflow are sticking to that line.

Ally
Founder
Homepage: motorhomecraic.com
My Motorhome: Lunar Roadstar 780
Base Vehicle: Fiat 2.8 JTD
Subject:

· 
Posted: 18.07.2022  ·  #21
Its always been same price as a car when I have went through it IIRC.

TommyS
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 18.07.2022  ·  #22
I recently had issue with them and after 5 or 6 emails in which they said they couldn't deal by email. I phones them and asked how I could prove my vehicle was a motorhome over the phone. I know there was a blank stare at the other end of the line as I waited for a response. I had previously sent photos of the van showing the numberplate and argued the point that it was not a commercial van or a vehicle that seated 8 or more people. The guy said that he would take my word for it and said he would amend their records accordingly. I wait with baited breath as this is the third time I have had issue with the M50 toll, saying my vehicle was something it wasnt. Thing is I only use the M50 about 3/4 times a year

aria
Subject:

· 
Posted: 18.07.2022  ·  #23
Thanks Tommy. The issue here is they are saying they know it’s a campervan, and it’s still €4.10.

baguette
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 18.07.2022  ·  #24
Quote by aria

Thanks Tommy. The issue here is they are saying they know it’s a campervan, and it’s still €4.10.

Ask them to forward to you their tariff list pointing out to where it says 'campervan' in the €4.10 category.
Stick to the official legal position that a campervan (motor caravan) is not a goods vehicle and it falls under the passenger vehicle with not more than eight passenger seats.
If they don't see sense my final communication would be 'see you in court'

aria
Subject:

· 
Posted: 18.07.2022  ·  #25
That’s where I’ve gotten to also.

Thanks all for the help.

sprinter
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

on M50 toll

· 
Posted: 18.07.2022  ·  #26
Can you please tell me why you are even having any correspondence with them at all,
You paid for the use of the bridge, you sent them a copy of the receipt.

aria
Subject:

· 
Posted: 19.07.2022  ·  #27
Fair point.

PDK
Love's the Craic
My Motorhome: Burstner A647
Base Vehicle: Fiat ducato
Subject:

· 
Posted: 19.07.2022  ·  #28
I phoned them too, don't entertain it you have a receipt. I found no communication between them up there at al.

sprinter
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 19.07.2022  ·  #29
Toll income on Dublin's M50 declined by 23 per cent from €160 million to €123.8 million.😭😭😭😡😡
And they can't afford to have a proper customer service department.

Ally
Founder
Homepage: motorhomecraic.com
My Motorhome: Lunar Roadstar 780
Base Vehicle: Fiat 2.8 JTD
Subject:

· 
Posted: 19.07.2022  ·  #30
They got their money back after first two years, is that correct?

Liked by: sprinter

mad max
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 19.07.2022  ·  #31
Quote by sprinter

Toll income on Dublin's M50 declined by 23 per cent from €160 million to €123.8 million.😭😭😭😡😡
And they can't afford to have a proper customer service department.

Did you not know that's down to the blockage in the Suez Canal 😁

Liked by: Ally, eirebus

sprinter
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 19.07.2022  ·  #32
Quote by MHC

They got their money back after first two years, is that correct?

not sure how long it took but it has been some money spinner.
they stood to make, €1.15bn windfall from the M50 West-Link toll bridges it built for just €58m, in 2007 it made €46m. government bought it back for €600m in 2008.
It was also reckoned to be one of the biggest brown envelope jobs in this country.

Liked by: Ally, ntg, Paul mcg, PDK

hillton9
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Rollerteam t-line 740
Base Vehicle: Fiat muiltijet
Subject:

50 toll

· 
Posted: 20.07.2022  ·  #33
I took them to books I payed at applegreen and keep the receipt ,a few weeks later I got a fine saying that I hadn’t payed the toll sent them an email stating I had payed and had the receipt, also Told them that I had been in touch with the psni stating that I was the victim of a con and that they were going to get in touch with the Garda an email back saying that it had all been sorted and no further action would take place so I replied with a nice email saying if you can’t employ staff to do the job properly don’t employ them at all

Liked by: Ally, eirebus, jacktherev

relay racer
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: van conversion
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 20.07.2022  ·  #34
Quote by hillton9

I took them to books I payed at applegreen and keep the receipt ,a few weeks later I got a fine saying that I hadn’t payed the toll sent them an email stating I had payed and had the receipt, also Told them that I had been in touch with the psni stating that I was the victim of a con and that they were going to get in touch with the Garda an email back saying that it had all been sorted and no further action would take place so I replied with a nice email saying if you can’t employ staff to do the job properly don’t employ them at all

Corruption comes in many guises,trying to scare people until you stand up to them, we’ll done rob

Liked by: Paul mcg, sprinter

jacktherev
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Adria Vision
Base Vehicle: Renault
Subject:

· 
Posted: 21.07.2022  ·  #35
Ive got a ParkMagic tag on my motorhome and find it excellent not only for the M50 but all the toll booths.

scotgard
Craic'er
My Motorhome: Adria Twin
Base Vehicle: Fiat Ducato Maxi
Subject:

· 
Posted: 21.07.2022  ·  #36
Had an issue a few years ago where I was an hour late paying my toll on M50 and received a €6 penalty notice which I accept I was due to pay. I rang them to ask about payment of the penalty using the €3 toll I had paid even though it was late. I was told that I would have to pay the full penalty (€6) and the €3 would be held pending my next trip on the M50. I told the operative that I would not be using the M50 again so I would pay the penalty (€6) when my €3 was returned to me. I was told this was unacceptable and I should pay the penalty otherwise the penalty would escalate, eventually ending in court. This conversation continued until eventually a "manager" came on the line to tell me I was a trouble maker and that they had dealt with people like me before. He continued in an aggressive manner then said he would see me in court. I then told him that similar to his recorded message at the start of their customer service I had recorded the call and looked forward to replaying the recording for the benefit of the judge who would ultimately decide who was the "trouble maker". I never paid the penalty and never heard any more about the matter. I now have a toll tag which makes life easier.

Liked by: Ally, JettaJohn

Selected quotes for multi-quoting:   0

Registered users in this topic

Currently no registered users in this section

The statistic shows who was online during the last 5 minutes. Updated every 90 seconds.