The Rambler
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle: Vauxhall Movano 2.5 CDTI
Subject:

Rusty Nuts Removal

· 
Posted: 24.03.2020  ·  #1
So I've got a piece of exhaust shield that is rattling. I think it is attached to the fuel tank. The two nuts that hold it in place no longer grip the piece as it has worn and come free leaving two larger holes than the (non)retaining nuts. I want to remove the nuts and try install large washers to hold it. However, the nuts are very rusted. It looks like there are a couple of blue nylon threaded inserts that retain the nuts. These rotate with the nuts despite me trying to grip them with a pliers.

I have prised of the piece and you can see the nuts in place sitting in the blue retainers. Anyone got any useful hints as to how I might remove the nuts?

EDIT: They are actually bolts, not nuts. Hex bolts.

Daffysparks

Subject:

Re: Rusty Nuts Removal

· 
Posted: 24.03.2020  ·  #2
Ha ha. When I saw the topic, I thought you were trying to organise a revolt to overthrow our own Rusty Nutz. 😱😱

Liked by: GMAC

The Rambler
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 24.03.2020  ·  #3
Quote by Daffysparks

Ha ha. When I saw the topic, I thought you were trying to organise a revolt to overthrow our own Rusty Nutz. 😱😱

There was absolutely no intention to raise any eyebrows with that topic heading David. 🙄

Liked by: sprinter, +deleted user

sprinter
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Matilda 2 Pilote 703FP Explorateur
Base Vehicle: 3ltr 318 Sprinter Automatic
Subject:

Rusty Nuts Removal

· 
Posted: 24.03.2020  ·  #4
Now that we have established that you do not plan remove Allys nuts😁.

They look like they are mounted onto the tank.?
What is the bolt size.?.
If you can't tell what is the spanner size of the head.

Liked by: +deleted user

The Rambler
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 24.03.2020  ·  #5
Quote by sprinter

Now that we have established that you do not plan remove Allys nuts😁.

🤣

Firstly, he couldn’t possibly remain our leader without his nuts, so there is no fear there.

Secondly, I would be guessing M6 bolts. Spanner size is 10 mm. There is a white plastic base which looks to be mounted into the tank. Then there is a blue plastic piece that looks to be mounted into the white piece. It looks as though the blue piece is threaded and that is what accepts the bolt.

The blue mount just turns with the bolt. I have thought about drilling a couple of holes into the blue piece and then try to claw into that with something to keep a hold of it. But, all it takes is some clever craicer to suggest something smarter and I’ll give it a go. WD40, hammer etc. etc.

eirebus
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Dethleffs Advantage
Base Vehicle: Fiat 2.3
Subject:

· 
Posted: 24.03.2020  ·  #6
Grind or drill the head ( where socket is ) off, knock bolt through and replace with new bolts and required washers

The Rambler
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 24.03.2020  ·  #7
I can’t knock the bolt through. It’s got to get pulled out.

Liked by: eirebus

CHAUSSON
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Knaus Sport Ti 700 UFB Silverline
Base Vehicle: Renault Master 150 dci Quickshift
Subject:

· 
Posted: 24.03.2020  ·  #8
Can you borrow a nut gun and have you room to operate one? Normally if you hit the head of the bolt a couple of clatters of a hammer it helps, but in your case probably not if the base is turning

Bounder
Craic Addict
My Motorhome: 2015 Adria 640 SHX
Base Vehicle: Ducato X250 2.3
Subject:

· 
Posted: 24.03.2020  ·  #9
Try using a claw hammer to wedge the bolt head and insert apart while turning the bolt.
Are the inserts pressed into the metal or is there something holding them behind the pressed metal piece?

Daffysparks

Subject:

· 
Posted: 24.03.2020  ·  #10
Would it be possible to drill completely through the white plastic into the blue and put a retaining pin through them to stop the plastic turning, even use the pin, held with a pliers to stop it turning.

Bounder
Craic Addict
Subject:

· 
Posted: 24.03.2020  ·  #11
if there is enough room you could get a small pair of vice grips to hold the blue part or a pair of needle nose pliers/vice grips.

petie
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 24.03.2020  ·  #12
I would try to use a pair of spade end crimpers,[the flat ones] to hold the blue part and then try to loosen the bolt,I have done this before in similar circumstances .

The Rambler
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 24.03.2020  ·  #13
Wow, the ideas are coming fast and furious.

Quote by CHAUSSON

Can you borrow a nut gun and have you room to operate one? Normally if you hit the head of the bolt a couple of clatters of a hammer it helps, but in your case probably not if the base is turning

I cannot borrow a nut gun, but my socket wrench gives me plenty of torque if only the base would stop spinning Pat.

Quote by Bounder

Try using a claw hammer to wedge the bolt head and insert apart while turning the bolt.
Are the inserts pressed into the metal or is there something holding them behind the pressed metal piece?

I see what you're saying Bounder. I can try but don't think i'll manage to insert the claw in between the two. As to how it is put together, well the close up pic of the bolt sitting inside the blue piece, which sits inside the white piece, which is somehow mounted inside the plastic tank, is really all I can say. It seems a bit elaborate. Obviously the shield was removed for that pic.

Quote by Daffysparks

Would it be possible to drill completely through the white plastic into the blue and put a retaining pin through them to stop the plastic turning, even use the pin, held with a pliers to stop it turning.

I was thinking something along the same lines David. Although i didn't think about going through the white piece, just through the blue piece. your suggestion is probably better. It might give me more of an anchor.

Quote by petie

I would try to use a pair of spade end crimpers,[the flat ones] to hold the blue part and then try to loosen the bolt,I have done this before in similar circumstances .

I was trying to think of a 'pliers with teeth' type of tool. That sounds like its worth a go.

Good suggestions. I think Ill try Petie and Daffys suggestions before I do anything else. Cheers.

EDIT: Just to add to how I think it is all put together, I did wonder if the blue piece might actually be some kind of spacer, rather than a threaded retainer. In which case maybe it is of no consequence that it spins with the bolt. But if that is the case, the bolt still isn't coming out. It just spins forever.

Liked by: +deleted user

sprinter
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Matilda 2 Pilote 703FP Explorateur
Base Vehicle: 3ltr 318 Sprinter Automatic
Subject:

Rusty Nuts Removal

· 
Posted: 24.03.2020  ·  #14
Ok. I would put a socket onto the bolt preferable a 1/4 drive hole this with a vice grips and then useing a 6mm drill bit you can drill down trough the square, this insures that you get a good central location on the head of the bolt , replace the socket with a ring spanner then drill down trough the head untill it detaches from the bolt .
The spanner will hold it while you drill ,when you have some heat in it try turning it with the spanner. When drilling out bolts it is best to use left handed drill bits because while drilling the heat often loosens the bolt and the left turning drill spins them out.
If you get the head off come back with a photo of what you have left and we will take it from there.
Put a large piece of metal with a hole the size of the white piece over the whole thing in case you break or slip the drill to stop you drilling a hole in the tank

hillton9
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Rollerteam t-line 740
Base Vehicle: Fiat muiltijet
Subject:

· 
Posted: 25.03.2020  ·  #15
I take it that’s the diesel tank be careful what ever you do the quick way out of this is get a tube of tec 7 and glue it back on then a good dollop around the nuts it will never come off ( the easiest way is always the best )

The Rambler
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 25.03.2020  ·  #16
Great ideas yet again. I had considered those kind of procedures to drill everything out @sprinter. My concern however is that the bolts might be so rusted that they will not come out cleanly, in as few pieces as possible, but will end up flaking up and creating a huge mess. I do want to be careful to not turn this into a bigger job than it needs be as I wouldn't like to have to be using the van with no shield currently installed. Not that I think I will be using the van much due to the current emergency, but just in case.

I really like the idea about a glue/cement though @hillton9 . But Tec7, is that a flexible silicone? What about the temperature range?

I see there are sticky back exhaust adhesive pads, link . I wonder could I just stick that on to the fuel tank in place of the existing guard?

The Rambler
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 25.03.2020  ·  #17

Success! As the pics show, the suggestion to grip the blue retainer with a toothed crimping tool did work. First prize goes to Petie, well done. There's a four pack of toilet rolls coming your way. It didn't seem like it was going to work but I persevered. It occurred to me that if the crimper wasn't going to grip it, I was going to try tighten up a jubilee clip around the retainer real good and tight, and then use a vice grip to hold it. But no need.

Now I am sure that regular washers will not help hold the heat shield in place. I need larger plates. I'll just have to head down to my local B&Q and pick up . . . eh .. some .. . I'll just have to pilfer around the garden shed and see if I can take apart something that looks like I might not need to use again and it might have some interesting shaped scrap metal I can cannibalise. i might as well do it now before I go give myself a haircut.

eirebus
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Dethleffs Advantage
Base Vehicle: Fiat 2.3
Subject:

· 
Posted: 25.03.2020  ·  #18
Motor factors are open for all your bolting needs 😁

Liked by: The Rambler

StephenC
Love's the Craic
My Motorhome: Vanderlust Van Conversion
Base Vehicle: Fiat Ducato X290 LWB 130
Subject:

· 
Posted: 25.03.2020  ·  #19
hillton9
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Rollerteam t-line 740
Base Vehicle: Fiat muiltijet
Subject:

· 
Posted: 25.03.2020  ·  #20
Well done hat man ,( your never beat till the fat lady sings) was looking forward to that first prize of the bog roll😂

Liked by: eirebus, The Rambler

petie
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 25.03.2020  ·  #21
Glad that worked for you Jason,if your stuck for large washers just drill a hole in a piece of tin and then cut the tin to an ideal size,failing that use two jam jar lids as a temporary solution. p s cant wait to receive the toilet roll. :happy:

Liked by: eirebus, The Rambler, +deleted user

ntg
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Autotrail
Base Vehicle: Comanche
Subject:

· 
Posted: 25.03.2020  ·  #22
Quote by petie

. p s cant wait to receive the toilet roll. :happy:

Worth more than Gold today.😋

Liked by: petie

Flipperdipper
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: HOBBY 600
Base Vehicle: Fiat Ducato 2.8
Subject:

· 
Posted: 25.03.2020  ·  #23
Quote by petie

p s cant wait to receive the toilet roll. :happy:

In the meantime !

panda
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Concerto 255
Base Vehicle: Fiat Ducato 9 spd Auto
Subject:

· 
Posted: 25.03.2020  ·  #24
o.O

Liked by: Bobo24

Bounder
Craic Addict
Subject:

· 
Posted: 26.03.2020  ·  #25
Bum gun

ntg
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Autotrail
Base Vehicle: Comanche
Subject:

· 
Posted: 26.03.2020  ·  #26
Quote by Flipperdipper

Quote by petie

p s cant wait to receive the toilet roll. :happy:

In the meantime !

Nobody is going to rip that man off on the price of toilet roll,also do you think that hose would be food grade? The only reason I ask is just in case some of those sneaky campers call and decide to use it?😄

The Rambler
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 26.03.2020  ·  #27
Someone tell that idiot you can’t remove rusty nuts with a hose.

That pic should be in the ‘Caption This’ section . 😆

Liked by: ntg

Daffysparks

Subject:

· 
Posted: 26.03.2020  ·  #28
The Rambler
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 26.03.2020  ·  #29
Quote by Daffysparks

After all that water, he probably has rusty nuts

Maybe all the water caused it.

Selected quotes for multi-quoting:   0

Registered users in this topic

Currently no registered users in this section

The statistic shows who was online during the last 5 minutes. Updated every 90 seconds.