StrandCampingDoonbeg
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: mobilvetta mh 85
Base Vehicle: Fiat
Subject:

Where and why your intended next 3 stopovers in your van

· 
Posted: 26.03.2020  ·  #1
Whilst we cannot get out now. We do have time to plan where to go when we get through this. So who’s made a plan, where do you intend to go and why?

This might provide some inspiration for others to chose somewhere they hadn’t considered before.

Please exclude my site from your list, even if it was to be on your list, it’s not that I don’t want you to visit but this post is not about self promotion.

Liked by: eirebus, panda

sprinter
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Matilda 2 Pilote 703FP Explorateur
Base Vehicle: 3ltr 318 Sprinter Automatic
Subject:

Where and why your intended next 3 stopovers in your van

· 
Posted: 26.03.2020  ·  #2
Quote by StrandcampingDoonbeg

Whilst we cannot get out now. We do have time to plan where to go when we get through this. So who’s made a plan, where do you intend to go and why?

This might provide some inspiration for others to chose somewhere they hadn’t considered before.

Please exclude my site from your list, even if it was to be on your list, it’s not that I don’t want you to visit but this post is not about self promotion.

I understand your reasoning Jami, but I still think that your place will be on most people's list when your open again. So probably it will be number 4😁

eirebus
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Dethleffs Advantage
Base Vehicle: Fiat 2.3
Subject:

Re: Where and why your intended next 3 stopovers in your van

· 
Posted: 26.03.2020  ·  #3
StrandCampingDoonbeg
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 26.03.2020  ·  #4
Quote by eirebus

ANYWHERE
ANYWHERE
ANYWHERE

Out of here 🤪🥴🤪

I’m sure your sentiments are shared by many.

Liked by: eirebus

airhead_eire

Subject:

· 
Posted: 26.03.2020  ·  #5
How about this......

A couple of years ago, my partner and I, discussed the notion of taking a year out of work to travel in our campervan during that time. I always had regrets that I did not travel more when I was younger and a year off to travel was something that I only ever got to read about others doing.
The plan would be to head north if we left early summer i.e. Scotland followed by Scandinavia before taking in eastern Europe and then heading south-east to Bulgaria, Greece and Turkey. The second leg would see us travelling southern Europe over the winter months, along the silver coasts of the Adriatic, then the leg of Italy & Sicily followed by Spain, Portugal and finally Morocco.
But, if we left after the summer or into autumn then we possibly would do this route in reverse. Either way, the route would not be rigid but just a general plan with us making it up as we go.
At the start of this year, I finished up working after 22+ years for the same employer. Hmm, were things were starting to happen ?! My partner applied for, and was granted, the leave of absence. The planets were coming aligned for this trip - game on ! We couldn't believe our good luck. We are both in our late 40's (I turn 50 this summer) and the timing seemed perfect. In preparation, to-do lists were drawn up, extended insurance details sorted, guided books and extra maps bought and mechanical prep of the campervan kicked off.
After some debate, we called May 6th as D-Day and we booked the ferry (Stena) from Dublin to Holyhead. We would take in the Lake District en route to the Highlands. The Hebrides and Shetland Islands looked attractive for some overnighting/wild camping.
Then Covid19 happened !!! When news of this disaster broke earlier in the year, in our wildest dreams, we never thought it would escalate into this current situation. As the weeks went by and the death tolls climbed, doubt began to creep in about this trip. And in recent days we have discussed total cancellation of our plans.....
In reality, people are dying all over the planet from this horrible virus and a trip such as what we had planned is meaningless in the grand scheme of things. People are losing their jobs, falling ill and others dying. We are fortunate in the we have our health and our family and friends remain to be safe. Everything else right now is secondary. Yet on a personal level, it is a bitter pill to swallow.
The phrase "So close, but yet so far" comes to mind !!

Maybe later in the year....possibly, or not......who knows. Que sera, sera.

baguette
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Rapido 963F
Base Vehicle: Ducato 2.8 JTD Power
Subject:

· 
Posted: 26.03.2020  ·  #6
A little mentioned area which we toured a few years back is the Baltic Coast of Germany and down to Berlin and beyond to Leipzig and Dresden. The area has many fascinating places to visit from the 'old world' towns of the coast to the city of Leipzig with its fascinating history.

Liked by: eirebus, panda, sprinter

StrandCampingDoonbeg
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 26.03.2020  ·  #7
Quote by airhead_eire

How about this......

A couple of years ago, my partner and I, discussed the notion of taking a year out of work to travel in our campervan during that time. I always had regrets that I did not travel more when I was younger and a year off to travel was something that I only ever got to read about others doing.
The plan would be to head north if we left early summer i.e. Scotland followed by Scandinavia before taking in eastern Europe and then heading south-east to Bulgaria, Greece and Turkey. The second leg would see us travelling southern Europe over the winter months, along the silver coasts of the Adriatic, then the leg of Italy & Sicily followed by Spain, Portugal and finally Morocco.
But, if we left after the summer or into autumn then we possibly would do this route in reverse. Either way, the route would not be rigid but just a general plan with us making it up as we go.
At the start of this year, I finished up working after 22+ years for the same employer. Hmm, were things were starting to happen ?! My partner applied for, and was granted, the leave of absence. The planets were coming aligned for this trip - game on ! We couldn't believe our good luck. We are both in our late 40's (I turn 50 this summer) and the timing seemed perfect. In preparation, to-do lists were drawn up, extended insurance details sorted, guided books and extra maps bought and mechanical prep of the campervan kicked off.
After some debate, we called May 6th as D-Day and we booked the ferry (Stena) from Dublin to Holyhead. We would take in the Lake District en route to the Highlands. The Hebrides and Shetland Islands looked attractive for some overnighting/wild camping.
Then Covid19 happened !!! When news of this disaster broke earlier in the year, in our wildest dreams, we never thought it would escalate into this current situation. As the weeks went by and the death tolls climbed, doubt began to creep in about this trip. And in recent days we have discussed total cancellation of our plans.....
In reality, people are dying all over the planet from this horrible virus and a trip such as what we had planned is meaningless in the grand scheme of things. People are losing their jobs, falling ill and others dying. We are fortunate in the we have our health and our family and friends remain to be safe. Everything else right now is secondary. Yet on a personal level, it is a bitter pill to swallow.

At your age young man, you should have time on your side. I truly believe that this horrible virus will over sometime before autumn and if not eradicated then prevention medication or antidotes available. So you have some time for more planning or research. Your year trip sounds amazing and you can follow the weather.

I have done bits of the Lake District and the Scottish highlands and a few islands, loved every minute of it. The one place I’d return to in the right season is Germany such an amazing country in a MH. I have not been to Scandinavia in a MH but I intend to. Obviously very familiar with Spain and Portugal but it can be far too busy in resort areas.

I hope your plans are simply deferred.

Liked by: eirebus, ntg, sprinter, +deleted user

StrandCampingDoonbeg
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 26.03.2020  ·  #8
Quote by baguette

A little mentioned area which we toured a few years back is the Baltic Coast of Germany and down to Berlin and beyond to Leipzig and Dresden. The area has many fascinating places to visit from the 'old world' towns of the coast to the city of Leipzig with its fascinating history.

I’m jealous I have only followed the Rhine down and the Moselle up but I loved Germany and would love to spend more time there.

Flipperdipper
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: HOBBY 600
Base Vehicle: Fiat Ducato 2.8
Subject:

· 
Posted: 26.03.2020  ·  #9
First night Kilmore Quay, just sit in the van enjoying the view of the Saltee Islands then finish off with a feed of delicious fish & chips from the chipper. Second outing a few nights parked up beside the river on my buddy's farm in Lemybrien, might even do a bit more of the greenway.

sootyrex
Love's the Craic
My Motorhome: Elddis
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 26.03.2020  ·  #10
Quote by airhead_eire

How about this......

What a fantastic plan ! You will definitely do it in the future. The good thing is you are not stuck already in remote Scandinavia or somewhere with no way home......

Liked by: +deleted user

eirebus
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Dethleffs Advantage
Base Vehicle: Fiat 2.3
Subject:

· 
Posted: 26.03.2020  ·  #11
@airhead_eire ,we had a trip to Russia cancelled a couple of weeks ago (flying) we have put the cash away and hopefully we'll do it same time next year, hope you can defer and go later,it sounds like a great trip, do it as soon as you can 👍

Liked by: +deleted user

airhead_eire

Subject:

· 
Posted: 26.03.2020  ·  #12
Thanks for the replies all ! We have managed to defer until August 1st now, so for sure, all is not lost, merely postponed. For any of you with cancelled holidays or other trips, I really feel your pain. Despite what is going on around us, a holiday is something we MH folk really look forward to so much, right ?

Jamie @ Strandcamping: yes indeed, I agree with your optimism in that, hopefully, this virus will be defeated sometime before autumn. For all our sakes ! Hopefully, we might be able to have a shakedown trip before August at your site when normality resumes !

airhead_eire

Subject:

· 
Posted: 26.03.2020  ·  #13
So what plans do others have ? Anybody planning winter trips instead of summer trips now ?

airhead_eire

Subject:

· 
Posted: 26.03.2020  ·  #14
Quote by eirebus

@airhead_eire ,we had a trip to Russia cancelled a couple of weeks ago (flying) we have put the cash away and hopefully we'll do it same time next year, hope you can defer and go later,it sounds like a great trip, do it as soon as you can 👍

I'm all ears as Russia intrigues me ! What was your Russian plan ?

StephenC
Love's the Craic
My Motorhome: Vanderlust Van Conversion
Base Vehicle: Fiat Ducato X290 LWB 130
Subject:

· 
Posted: 26.03.2020  ·  #15
We have the ferry to France booked for mid July, we've only paid the €100 deposit so far so holding out till the last minute to see how all this plays out. We have two kids in school and I work in a college so long periods of winter travel is not an option unfortunately. Might end up being next summer before we get a decent trip away.

<BM>
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Rimor Superbrig
Base Vehicle: Ford Transit
Subject:

· 
Posted: 26.03.2020  ·  #16
We're booked to travel to France on August 1st. As with StephenC we've only paid €100 and that's fully flexible with stena so we have some time before we need to take any firm decisions.

JJF
Eat's Sleep's craic
Homepage: MotorhomeCraic.com
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 26.03.2020  ·  #17
If conditions/restrictions permit then local trips here, Some great spots in our home county.
Come October 22nd then ferry to Spain for the winter, but its all up in the air at the moment.... lets see what the next few months bring.

baguette
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Rapido 963F
Base Vehicle: Ducato 2.8 JTD Power
Subject:

· 
Posted: 26.03.2020  ·  #18
Anyone on here old enough to remember the TV series about the WW11 POW camp at Colditz Castle, it's still there as a museum. It's between Leipzig and Dresden and well worth a visit

Liked by: Mark&Wendy, StrandCampingDoonbeg, +deleted user

airhead_eire

Subject:

· 
Posted: 26.03.2020  ·  #19
Quote by baguette

Anyone on here old enough to remember the TV series about the WW11 POW camp at Colditz Castle, it's still there as a museum. It's between Leipzig and Dresden and well worth a visit

I have read both books by Pat Reid and I also have the old Parker's board game of Colditz ! It's a place that I am hoping to visit in the future.

Liked by: eirebus

CHAUSSON
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Knaus Sport Ti 700 UFB Silverline
Base Vehicle: Renault Master 150 dci Quickshift
Subject:

· 
Posted: 26.03.2020  ·  #20
Tbh, Holidays are the last thing on my mind at the moment, I think we are in deep sh*t economy wise not to mention health wise, I think I will be spending my money at home for a while, no point whinging about the state of the economy if we are not prepared to support it, well that is my thinking anyway.

Liked by: eirebus, JettaJohn, ntg, panda, StrandCampingDoonbeg, +deleted user

Comet
Craic'er
My Motorhome: Rapido
Base Vehicle: Ducato
Subject:

· 
Posted: 26.03.2020  ·  #21
The Wild Atlantic Way is calling us.

So much lovely scenery along the coast.

Just imagine the sunsets......and relaxing and soaking up the salt sea air.....and a cheese nibble with a wee glass of something nice and soothing....with Kenny Rogers "Islands In The Stream" adding to the feeling of being on holidays...!!!

ntg
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Autotrail
Base Vehicle: Comanche
Subject:

· 
Posted: 26.03.2020  ·  #22
I started my business in 1984 in the building trade and have seen some tough times,on Tuesday last I had to lay off most of our workers due to safety through traveling and working.

Tomorrow morning I am going to remove a digger and other machinery from the last site open, then we are closed.
My heart is breaking but if this is what we have to do to see us through this epidemic then that is what it has to be.

Liked by: baguette, eirebus, Mark&Wendy, paddyx, +deleted user

glastry
Love's the Craic
My Motorhome: Mercedes-Benz hymer s550
Base Vehicle: Mercedes
Subject:

closing up

· 
Posted: 26.03.2020  ·  #23
Quote by ntg

I started my business in 1984 in the building trade and have seen some tough times,on Tuesday last I had to lay off most of our workers due to safety through traveling and working.

Tomorrow morning I am going to remove a digger and other machinery from the last site open, then we are closed.
My heart is breaking but if this is what we have to do to see us through this epidemic then that is what it has to be.

my heart goes out to you, i would run away if i could.
i am 66 this year ,and its the first time i felt closed in.

Liked by: paddyx

Daffysparks

Subject:

· 
Posted: 26.03.2020  ·  #24
I know exactly how you feel Norman. I have been exceptionally busy for the last six months, even moaning occasionally, about it. Now, after this week, I’m back to a crew of one, me, on emergency call outs, only. Scary times

Liked by: eirebus, ntg

airhead_eire

Subject:

· 
Posted: 26.03.2020  ·  #25
Quote by Comet

The Wild Atlantic Way is calling us.

So much lovely scenery along the coast.

Just imagine the sunsets......and relaxing and soaking up the salt sea air.....and a cheese nibble with a wee glass of something nice and soothing....with Kenny Rogers "Islands In The Stream" adding to the feeling of being on holidays...!!!

Well in actual fact you would be on holiday ! I like it !

glastry
Love's the Craic
My Motorhome: Mercedes-Benz hymer s550
Base Vehicle: Mercedes
Subject:

hard times

· 
Posted: 26.03.2020  ·  #26
Quote by Daffysparks

I know exactly how you feel Norman. I have been exceptionally busy for the last six months, even moaning occasionally, about it. Now, after this week, I’m back to a crew of one, me, on emergency call outs, only. Scary times

YES - its taking a while to sink in just how much all has changed - in a few weeks
lets us all keep in contact.
no one knows at the moment what we can do TOGETHER to survive!

Liked by: CHAUSSON, eirebus, jacktherev, ntg, +deleted user

Selected quotes for multi-quoting:   0

Registered users in this topic

Currently no registered users in this section

The statistic shows who was online during the last 5 minutes. Updated every 90 seconds.