Liquid silicone for roof repair

Shaneyg
Subject:

Liquid silicone for roof repair

· 
Posted: 23.03.2020  ·  #1
Hi, just a quick question. My camper is leaking at the front of my front skylight, I have replace seals around it but it still gets in so I suspect it’s getting in somewhere towards the front of the van. It doesn’t leak every time it rains but intermittently. It is driving me cracked as I can’t find where it’s getting in so I was going to water proof the whole roof with a liquid silicone or liquid rubber. Have any of you used these products, is it hard ant most importantly, did it work. Any help or advice greatly appreciated!! Thanks!!

<BM>
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Rimor Superbrig
Base Vehicle: Ford Transit
Subject:

Re: Liquid silicone for roof repair

· 
Posted: 24.03.2020  ·  #2
Quote by Shaneyg

Hi, just a quick question. My camper is leaking at the front of my front skylight, I have replace seals around it but it still gets in so I suspect it’s getting in somewhere towards the front of the van. It doesn’t leak every time it rains but intermittently. It is driving me cracked as I can’t find where it’s getting in so I was going to water proof the whole roof with a liquid silicone or liquid rubber. Have any of you used these products, is it hard ant most importantly, did it work. Any help or advice greatly appreciated!! Thanks!!

When you say you replaced the seals around it, did you remove the skylight, clean up all the old mastic and refit the skylight? If so, what sealant did you use?

Shaneyg
Subject:

· 
Posted: 24.03.2020  ·  #3
I’m pretty certain it’s not getting in at the skylight itself as I covered it with heavy duty plastic and duct taped it down and we still had a leak. But I did remove as much of the old sealant as possible, I didn’t remove the skylight, would be afraid I’d make a balls of it!!🤪 I used sikaflex I think it’s called.

<BM>
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Rimor Superbrig
Base Vehicle: Ford Transit
Subject:

· 
Posted: 24.03.2020  ·  #4
Applying a seal to the outside of an already suspect seal is a mugs game as it's simply not possible to clean the surfaces to the required standard to get a good seal.

Non setting mastic had been the standard up until recent years and is still very much favored in certain quarters but polyurethane sealant/adhesives are also used now. You'll know the difference if you ever have to remove the roof light. Possibly the worst thing you could do is apply one of the newer polyurethane sealants around an older (and leaky) non setting mastic seal because the only way to fix it properly is to remove it.

As for the liquid silicone or liquid rubber, they'll probably be fine for a pinhole in the middle of a panel but when you get to the interface of two or more components, they wont last and will just leave a bigger cleanup job when you come back to do the job properly.

Liked by: CHAUSSON

Selected quotes for multi-quoting:   0

Registered users in this topic

Currently no registered users in this section

The statistic shows who was online during the last 5 minutes. Updated every 90 seconds.