Spray Foam Insulation

alowhite1980
Subject:

Spray Foam Insulation

· 
Posted: 20.03.2020  ·  #1
Hi Guys

So I'm in the middle of a camper refurb. I stripped large sections of the walls and roof to bare aluminum to repair water damage and rot. I've got all the wood rebuilt and everything resealed. I've a few elusive leaks to track down and repair but once thats done I'm ready to insulate and board up.

I'm considering getting a professional to do a closed cell spray foam insulation job. The reason I want to go for this is I believe it will do the best job of stopping condensation. I'm convinced this was at least equally as responsible as the leaks for the rot.

The old insulation system was 3mm ply glued to the aluminium, 20mm aeroboard or styrofoam on top of that and then the front 3mm wall board. I've had the bare walls exposed all through the winter and I've been observing them almost running water from condensation. I have no confidence in just redoing things as they where. I'm sure that the aluminum will continue to generate condensation behind that set up.

I believe the foam sprayed directly onto the aluminum should completely stop the condensation and provide good heat and sound insulation.

Has anyone done this? Any thoughts

Cheers

ntg
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Autotrail
Base Vehicle: Comanche
Subject:

Re: Spray Foam Insulation

· 
Posted: 20.03.2020  ·  #2
Any bare aluminium wall will have condensation as a result of two different temperatures,ie internal and external. A good high density insulation board like Kingspan or Quintherm will be as good as any spray option.
I would say that your rot problem definitely came from water ingress and nothing to do with insulation.

Liked by: panda, Stacks, +deleted user

Daffysparks

Subject:

· 
Posted: 20.03.2020  ·  #3
With spray foam you will have a huge amount of trimming back to do after. It’s not a very precise process. I’d go with solid board cut to fit tightly

Liked by: ntg, panda

alowhite1980
Subject:

· 
Posted: 20.03.2020  ·  #4
Thanks for the input lads. I dont really mind doing the trimming back even though I know it will be a real pain in the behind. Just want to get the best possible condensation solution that i can.

Would you glue the board to the aluminum or leave it loose?

Vertico
Love's the Craic
My Motorhome: Ci Riviera 181
Base Vehicle: Transit 2001
Subject:

· 
Posted: 20.03.2020  ·  #5
Quote by Daffysparks

With spray foam you will have a huge amount of trimming back to do after. It’s not a very precise process. I’d go with solid board cut to fit tightly

Closed cell doesn't expand like open cell.. a lot of people get there shed roofs done this way to stop condensation..i think it could work.. also if the camper could be bought to a job where closed cell is being used then it could be affordable

CHAUSSON
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Knaus Sport Ti 700 UFB Silverline
Base Vehicle: Renault Master 150 dci Quickshift
Subject:

· 
Posted: 20.03.2020  ·  #6
Quote by Vertico

Quote by Daffysparks

Closed cell doesn't expand like open cell.. a lot of people get there shed roofs done this way to stop condensation..i think it could work.. also if the camper could be bought to a job where closed cell is being used then it could be affordable

Spray foam is fine until you get another leak and then you have some mess I would imagine.

Liked by: Chevy g20, ntg

99Duke
Craic'er
My Motorhome: Auto Trail
Base Vehicle: 1999 Ducato 2.8d
Subject:

· 
Posted: 20.03.2020  ·  #7
Quote by alowhite1980

Hi Guys

So I'm in the middle of a camper refurb. I stripped large sections of the walls and roof to bare aluminum to repair water damage and rot. I've got all the wood rebuilt and everything resealed. I've a few elusive leaks to track down and repair but once thats done I'm ready to insulate and board up.

I'm considering getting a professional to do a closed cell spray foam insulation job. The reason I want to go for this is I believe it will do the best job of stopping condensation. I'm convinced this was at least equally as responsible as the leaks for the rot.

The old insulation system was 3mm ply glued to the aluminium, 20mm aeroboard or styrofoam on top of that and then the front 3mm wall board. I've had the bare walls exposed all through the winter and I've been observing them almost running water from condensation. I have no confidence in just redoing things as they where. I'm sure that the aluminum will continue to generate condensation behind that set up.

I believe the foam sprayed directly onto the aluminum should completely stop the condensation and provide good heat and sound insulation.

Has anyone done this? Any thoughts

Cheers

Hello Alowhite, I did a refurb with 30mm foil both sides board. Siliconed the sections to the aluminium coupled with a snug fit between the timbers leaves it a super tight job. Get up and seal your outside edges with something decent. It'll only let water from the outside world in through small gaps. Spend as much detail and time covering the corner trims and all your inside work will outlast us all!

Daffysparks

Subject:

· 
Posted: 20.03.2020  ·  #8
Quote by Vertico

Quote by Daffysparks

All of kingspan and quinnboard is closed cell. If it was open cell it would basically be a sponge

<BM>
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Rimor Superbrig
Base Vehicle: Ford Transit
Subject:

· 
Posted: 20.03.2020  ·  #9
Spraying closed cell foam on the woodwork may prevent it breathing and cause rot in itself. What you need to do is fit rigid insulation as tight as you can and install an air tight membrane on the warm side of the insulation. Condensation is driven by warm moist air from the inside hitting cold surfaces, stop that air reaching cild surfaces and you fix the problems.

Liked by: Stacks

Selected quotes for multi-quoting:   0

Registered users in this topic

Currently no registered users in this section

The statistic shows who was online during the last 5 minutes. Updated every 90 seconds.