eirebus
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Dethleffs Advantage
Base Vehicle: Fiat 2.3
Subject:

More solar or

· 
Posted: 09.03.2020  ·  #1
I have 100w of solar on the van and was going to put up another 100w but now I'm thinking of a battery to battery charger instead as this would work in the winter ,is this a good or bad plan ?

Ally
Founder
Homepage: motorhomecraic.com
My Motorhome: Lunar Roadstar 780
Base Vehicle: Fiat 2.8 JTD
Subject:

Re: More solar or

· 
Posted: 09.03.2020  ·  #2
A good plan if you ask me. Need a lot of solar panels to get 30amps in the winter!

Even a generator only puts in what your charger does, 5amps?

So pound for pound a generator is a complete waste of money compared to a B2B charger.

😁

Liked by: panda

Daffysparks

Subject:

· 
Posted: 09.03.2020  ·  #3
Just remember that the engine must be running for the B2B charger to work. Not much use if you are parked on a site for a few days. If you are moving a lot, they seem great. My engine charges the leisure batteries, I have no idea how though. Wouldn’t imagine it is a B2B charger, but still does the job on a journey 🤔

Ally
Founder
Subject:

· 
Posted: 09.03.2020  ·  #4
Quote by Daffysparks

Just remember that the engine must be running for the B2B charger to work. Not much use if you are parked on a site for a few days. If you are moving a lot, they seem great. My engine charges the leisure batteries, I have no idea how though. Wouldn’t imagine it is a B2B charger, but still does the job on a journey 🤔

If you were parked on a site you would probably have hook up. No need to move either, 30 minutes with engine running and no high revs needed, 30amps going in. Equivalent to 800 watt of solar and full sunshine to get maximum.

Normal charging without one and driving, would take hours to charge them properly.

Liked by: JMAC

Daffysparks

Subject:

· 
Posted: 09.03.2020  ·  #5
I’m not knocking them, just making a point. By on site I didn’t necessarily mean a campsite. Think vantastival. Not everyone be happy running your engine beside them either, especially in France. Horses for courses I suppose. Be good to have them all I suppose. Best of all worlds

Ally
Founder
Subject:

· 
Posted: 09.03.2020  ·  #6
Yeah, I think some of each, Dave already has the solar. I haven't even put my solar back on yet, but will.

Vantastival? Wash your mouth out!! It'll be wall to wall sunshine.

Liked by: +deleted user

Ally
Founder
Subject:

· 
Posted: 09.03.2020  ·  #7
I could be wrong, but I think the power that Dave is looking for won't be got by one more panel in the winter.

He's a non site Motorhomer and his heating eats batteries. A Generator is next to rubbish for quick charging and who wants to listen to one of them for hours. A B2B and a half hour of engine running every day might be the thing.

eirebus
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 09.03.2020  ·  #8
I was thinking along the lines of running the engine in winter to charge the batteries a kind of onboard Genny only more powerful,we generally don't stay long anywhere in winter
My alternator is crap at charging leisure batteries at the moment

Daffysparks

Subject:

· 
Posted: 09.03.2020  ·  #9
Was it always a problem or is it a new phenomenon, maybe there is a different issue, causing the problem. How many leisure batteries have you, and what size

Liked by: Ally

big LIam
Love's the Craic
My Motorhome: d55 Dreamer Veronica
Base Vehicle: Fiat Ducato 2.3 130 bhp
Subject:

· 
Posted: 09.03.2020  ·  #10
i think with 200 w of solar and a good mppt battery charger as Ally says with plenty of sun shine and a couple of good AGM batteries + split charge relay connected through B2B charger i think you have a plan

Liked by: Ally, JMAC

The Rambler
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle: Vauxhall Movano 2.5 CDTI
Subject:

· 
Posted: 09.03.2020  ·  #11
Quote by big LIam

i think with 200 w of solar and a good mppt battery charger as Ally says with plenty of sun shine and a couple of good AGM batteries + split charge relay connected through B2B charger i think you have a plan

Well that’s ticking all the boxes big Liam, so yes that would be the holy grail for sure. But if you were to add one item, either an extra solar panel or a B2B Charger what would you choose? I don’t think there is a one size fits all answer. A lot depends on what suits you. You could also make an argument for extra battery capacity. So heading off with full charged batteries (via home charging on grid) could buy you an extra couple of nights just because you added another battery. But you might be maxed out on battery power already Dave.

Liked by: Ally, big LIam

Chevy g20
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 09.03.2020  ·  #12
I have 120 watt solar albeit 26 years old with 2 x 110 ah batteries which is perfect in the summer. In the winter I have another 2 x 110 ah additional batteries in the sub floor which I trickle charge at home during the week and use these for the tv and the multitude of charging devices. I binge watch a lot of tv (12 hours +per day) over the dark wet days. The hab batteries are initially only used for the alde heating pump etc until the others are flat and then I plug into the hab batteries. Can get up to 5 days

Liked by: Ally, big LIam, mccrea, ntg, sprinter, The Rambler, +deleted user

Daffysparks

Subject:

· 
Posted: 09.03.2020  ·  #13
I have purchased the bits needed to connect a third big leisure battery, and only switch it in if original two are low. I haven’t done it yet as haven’t had an issue so far. I suppose that day will come and I’ll be kicking my self

panda
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Concerto 255
Base Vehicle: Fiat Ducato 9 spd Auto
Subject:

· 
Posted: 09.03.2020  ·  #14
Great thread with lots of info. I have lots of solar power... 300 watts, but using a single 95 amp leisure battery. Would it be ok to add another leisure battery ( same type ) even though I would be adding new battery with one a few months old?

eirebus
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 09.03.2020  ·  #15
Quote by Daffysparks

Was it always a problem or is it a new phenomenon, maybe there is a different issue, causing the problem. How many leisure batteries have you, and what size

Yes always a problem, I have 2x100w batteries, I think some wireing upgrade would help also but ???

@big LIam I have no faith in AGM batteries I don't think most van charging systems can handle them

panda
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Concerto 255
Base Vehicle: Fiat Ducato 9 spd Auto
Subject:

· 
Posted: 10.03.2020  ·  #16
Quote by eirebus"]

[quote="Daffysparks

Yes always a problem, I have 2x100w batteries, I think some wireing upgrade would help also but ???

@big LIam I have no faith in AGM batteries I don't think most van charging systems can handle them
[/quote
Dave....mine came with a yuasa 95 amp agm battery...here is a pic of charger installed in my van...it does agm charging

eirebus
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 10.03.2020  ·  #17
Dave....mine came with a yuasa 95 amp agm battery...here is a pic of charger installed in my van...it does agm charging

I'm aware of that box but it's relatively new (something to do with euro 6 engine's I think ) and not fitted to most Vans ,IMO most Vans are fitted with a charging system that won't support AGM
I have been looking at that box as a b2b for my van as I have a Schaudt charger but I'm not sure of that either

Liked by: panda

big LIam
Love's the Craic
My Motorhome: d55 Dreamer Veronica
Base Vehicle: Fiat Ducato 2.3 130 bhp
Subject:

· 
Posted: 10.03.2020  ·  #18
AGM battery’s are a deep cycle that can recover quicker than float battery
When I installed my 200w solar system I had to set up the mppt setting for AGM batteries and most modern vehicles have stop star technology which could have a influence on charging rate because the alternators are battery sensing so if it check the engine battery is fully charged first come first served? So if the engine battery is fully charged it’s going to reduce the charge rate so I would go with the B2B charger +your solar system will trickle charge your leisure battery’s

Liked by: eirebus, JJF, panda

Ally
Founder
Subject:

· 
Posted: 10.03.2020  ·  #19
Quote by panda

Great thread with lots of info. I have lots of solar power... 300 watts, but using a single 95 amp leisure battery. Would it be ok to add another leisure battery ( same type ) even though I would be adding new battery with one a few months old?

As yours is relatively new you'd probably get away with adding another identical to your own.

95 isn't a lot although interestingly, is it better to have a 95ah battery with 300 watt of solar or 190ah and 200 watt of solar 😁

The first will charge quick but the latter will last longer.

Liked by: eirebus, panda

Daffysparks

Subject:

· 
Posted: 10.03.2020  ·  #20
I’d put another battery in John. Being brand new, I wouldn’t have thought the bit it’s been used so far would make a huge difference

the fat controller
Eat's Sleep's craic
Homepage: fincaangelacat.com
My Motorhome: Benimar Tessoro 481
Base Vehicle: Ford Transit
Subject:

· 
Posted: 10.03.2020  ·  #21
I have been toying with the idea of another 100w panel but this B2B thing may be a better option for my limited use of the van during winter months

Liked by: eirebus, panda

The Rambler
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 10.03.2020  ·  #22
Quote by Ally

, is it better to have a 95ah battery with 300 watt of solar or 190ah and 200 watt of solar 😁

The latter is better IMO, 190Ah and 200W PV. But John is in a good position. He could have over 300Ah one day if he really wanted. So no harm having high solar capacity. Especially with the extra charging boost in summer.

I would think you would have no problem adding another battery at this early stage John. You’ve probably only cycled about three times at most and I’ll bet you haven’t even deep cycled it (50%)

Liked by: panda, sprinter

Ally
Founder
Subject:

· 
Posted: 10.03.2020  ·  #23
Quote by The Rambler

The latter is better IMO, 190Ah and 200W PV.

I agree, hence my emoji.

But it's interesting, I have three batteries, 3 X 90 ah with 200 watt of solar (which I haven't fitted yet but came of my last van with same batteries), depending on usage where is the line that says more solar less batteries versus less solar more batteries.

Liked by: augharan, panda

The Rambler
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 10.03.2020  ·  #24
Quote by Ally

Quote by The Rambler

The latter is better IMO, 190Ah and 200W PV.

I agree, hence my emoji.

But it's interesting, I have three batteries, 3 X 90 ah with 200 watt of solar (which I haven't fitted yet but came of my last van with same batteries), depending on usage where is the line that says more solar less batteries versus less solar more batteries.

Well my view is it really would need to be tailored to how you use your van. If you only ever plugged into EHU, then you don’t need any solar. If you don’t plug into EHU and only go out 2 to 3 nights at a time, you probably don’t need solar. If you go longer, you could probably increase your battery capacity without any solar and still do ok. But if you go weeks at a time with no EHU then you definitely need solar.

It’s still good to have solar if only to keep your battery topped up while at home. The bottom line is, work out how much battery capacity you have and divide that number by how much you use each day on average (working within the 50% capacity limit). You know then, how many days you can go on battery alone. If that figure is higher than how many days you would like to use your van without EHU, then your grand. If not , time to add solar (still tricky to work out how much, but that’s the fun bit). And even if you don’t need it, well it’s still cool to have it 😎

Ally
Founder
Subject:

· 
Posted: 10.03.2020  ·  #25
It's just too much to work out :D

Solar and B2B for me, with 3 batteries. I had 200 watt solar but 'acquired' another 100 watt panel, so will have...

300 watt solar, a B2B and 3 x 90AH leisure batteries. Over producing? you bet :)

The Rambler
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 10.03.2020  ·  #26
Nothing wrong with plain old trial and error either. It can be hard to work out what you actually use on average. Lots of variables.

Liked by: Ally, panda

augharan
Craic Addict
My Motorhome: Bailey Approach 745
Base Vehicle: Peugeot Boxer Euro 5 2.2 Hdi 130 bhp
Subject:

· 
Posted: 10.03.2020  ·  #27
I went down on battery amps.
Advice from Tayna batteries.
Went from 2 x 105 amp AGM down to 2 x 80 amp gel ones.