The Rambler
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle: Vauxhall Movano 2.5 CDTI
Subject:

Van immobilised following flat battery

· 
Posted: 05.03.2020  ·  #1
Help! I drove the van to work today, Vauxhall Movano/ Renault Master. By lunchtime I noticed I left the headlamps running which had flattened the battery. Following several attempts to jump start from another vehicle, I felt there was enough of a charge to start but that there was an issue with the immobiliser. I decided to plug into an external battery charger. By the time I was leaving work I disconnected the charger and attempted to start. By this stage the charger was telling me it had a 60% charge. Again the same thing. It felt like there was plenty of cranking amps but that the vehicle was immobilised.

I have got a lift home now and will leave the charger plugged in for a few more hours. I hope to be able to go back to check on it then. Could there be an issue with immobiliser electronics needing a reset after a flat battery?

Ally
Founder
Homepage: motorhomecraic.com
My Motorhome: Lunar Roadstar 780
Base Vehicle: Fiat 2.8 JTD
Subject:

Re: Van immobilised following flat battery

· 
Posted: 05.03.2020  ·  #2
Maybe something blown by jumping? A lot of modern vehicles don't like being jumped.

@JJF is your man.

The Rambler
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 05.03.2020  ·  #3
I just watched a short video online which shows the various dash light states for immobiliser conditions. I do recall what I saw when I last try to start it. Prior to inserting key, the immobiliser symbol (solid circle) is flashing about once per second as normal. Insert the key and turn to the on position , all symbols light up initially but all go out except for the battery and immobiliser which now lights solid. Attempt to start, and the immobiliser symbol remains solid but will not start. According to the video its an immobiliser or key problem. It can't be the keys. So what's up with the immobiliser? Could a blown fuse be at fault? I will check when I get to the van next.

Liked by: panda

JJF
Eat's Sleep's craic
Homepage: MotorhomeCraic.com
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 05.03.2020  ·  #4
Remove battery end. Short both battery leads on vehicle together using a jump lead.( short the battery cables, & not battery obviously)... turn ignition switch on, leave vehicle for 30 mins. This shorts any nicads in immobiliser circuits and resets system.
Turn ignition off, replace battery ends back on battery and attempt start. (Make sure battery is in good state of charge first). If no go then check required with proper diagnosis equipment via the OBD port.

Liked by: <BM>, Ally, Chevy g20, eirebus, ntg, panda, skibbjerome, sprinter, +deleted user

panda
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Concerto 255
Base Vehicle: Fiat Ducato 9 spd Auto
Subject:

· 
Posted: 05.03.2020  ·  #5
You are a wealth of technical knowledge and know how Jon :up:

Liked by: Ally, eirebus, skibbjerome, sprinter, +deleted user

The Rambler
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 05.03.2020  ·  #6
Quote by panda

You are a wealth of technical knowledge and know how Jon :up:

You echoed what I was just going to say John. Jon is a wealth of info. Thankfully, I got back to the van and it just started. The charger was telling me that the battery was at 85% and it just started. The problem earlier had to have been the immobilizer. You would expect to be able to jumpstart a flat battery with 10 or 15 minutes surely. It’s like the immobilizer needed a bit of a charge too.

A positively weird day though. I only drove the van to work as I had just picked it up from the body repair garage. And we need it for Killarney this weekend. As I was routing through stuff earlier in my car glove box, my lost drivers license turned up. This is the one that went missing when we were off to France last year and caused me some panic (unnecessarily) and I went and ordered a new one. Well all’s well that ends well.

Liked by: Ally, eirebus, JJF, panda, sprinter

Daffysparks

Subject:

· 
Posted: 05.03.2020  ·  #7
You sound like a lad that’s really organised there Jason. 😝😝

The Rambler
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 05.03.2020  ·  #8
Quote by Daffysparks

You sound like a lad that’s really organised there Jason. 😝😝

I know, right? Thanks for noticing David. It makes me feel validated 😜

Liked by: +deleted user

Daffysparks

Subject:

· 
Posted: 05.03.2020  ·  #9
Actually, that sounds like a good day for me nowadays 🤭

Selected quotes for multi-quoting:   0

Registered users in this topic

Currently no registered users in this section

The statistic shows who was online during the last 5 minutes. Updated every 90 seconds.