Founder
Homepage: motorhomecraic.com
My Motorhome: Lunar Roadstar 780
Base Vehicle: Fiat 2.8 JTD
Subject:

recent topic

· 
Posted: 03.03.2020  ·  #1
I think it's sad that we had to remove a topic, the link to the website was obviously racist, no one argued with that. It was posted for debate as despite being racist there were points that could of been discussed.

The post wasn't on here it was on another website.

It's sad that we must delete stuff because someone became offended at what was on another website that has no connection to this one.

Where do we stop? No more opinions? No more free speech? No more debate? All in case someone gets offended.

I found the article very offensive but was adult enough to discuss it and point out its flaws without throwing my dummy out of the pram.

We now live in a f***ed up world where we are not even allowed to debate things that we may think is wrong in case someone gets offended.

Felling pretty pissed off at what I see to be a childish attitude to debate.

If you don't like it don't reply, dont join in and certainly don't stamp your feet like a spoiled child and leave.

Christ!

The Rambler
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle: Vauxhall Movano 2.5 CDTI
Subject:

Re: recent topic

· 
Posted: 03.03.2020  ·  #2
panda
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Concerto 255
Base Vehicle: Fiat Ducato 9 spd Auto
Subject:

· 
Posted: 03.03.2020  ·  #3
Very sad times indeed. There was a host of things I wanted to comment on in that thread but ended up deleting them in fear of what precisely happened in the end.....Cant say boo anymore or make a joke and someone will get all arsey about it :(

Davy
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Hymer B598 PL
Base Vehicle: Fiat 130 hp multijet
Subject:

· 
Posted: 03.03.2020  ·  #4
Sadly, politics and brexit (hate that label) were major contributors in my view in the demise of the largest Motorhome forum in the Uk. It has dwindled to about 10 regular posters and is now really no more than a meeting place for those people. Some of them continue to flaunt their politics by the avatars and signatures despite the fact that there is a separate private section to discuss the more controversial political topics.

Whilst I agree with your freedom to debate attitude, I am part of the silent majority who rarely voice their concerns on political issues, and believe this forum is not particularly the platform for current affairs unless they impact directly on our hobby.

When I read the topic, I thought that it could have the power to destroy this forum. It was similar in my mind to when people put union flags or tricolours in their profiles. I felt that had the power to polarise and stunt this forum, fortunately you had the wisdom to remove the option and we have now got the most friendly cooperative and successful forum of the 10 or so Motorhome forums I frequent.

Long may it continue.

Davy

Ally
Founder
Subject:

· 
Posted: 03.03.2020  ·  #5
I didn't see the post as political or any of those other things......

It was, in my mind, a link to a website that has views on immigration in Ireland and how THEY seen it. "Calling them out" but opening it up to debate.

Maybe we should do away with The Lounge if we can't discuss anything unless it's to do with Motorhomes.

Oh I don't know........... I'll maybe start another forum 😂

ntg
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Autotrail
Base Vehicle: Comanche
Subject:

· 
Posted: 03.03.2020  ·  #6
Quote by Ally

I think it's sad that we had to remove a topic, the link to the website was obviously racist, no one argued with that. It was posted for debate as despite being racist there were points that could of been discussed.

The post wasn't on here it was on another website.

It's sad that we must delete stuff because someone became offended at what was on another website that has no connection to this one.

Where do we stop? No more opinions? No more free speech? No more debate? All in case someone gets offended.

I found the article very offensive but was adult enough to discuss it and point out its flaws without throwing my dummy out of the pram.

We now live in a f**ked up world where we are not even allowed to debate things that we may think is wrong in case someone gets offended.

Felling pretty pissed off at what I see to be a childish attitude to debate.

If you don't like it don't reply, dont join in and certainly don't stamp your feet like a spoiled child and leave.

Christ!

Ally while I have no doubt that you posted that article with the best intentions and I have no wish to comment on the rights of wrongs of that article I could also see that extremely different views could be taken.
Unfortunately in the world we live in today it is very easy to become a keyboard warrior and I would hate this forum to fall to that outcome.
That is my tupence worth and again believe that this forum is where others can only hope to follow.

Liked by: Ally, Chevy g20, Davy, eirebus, jacktherev, panda, TommyS, +deleted user

Ally
Founder
Subject:

· 
Posted: 03.03.2020  ·  #7
Got you all posting and debating all the same 😁🤫

Of course I knew it was a risky subject, but thought we could discuss/debate.

Oh well, no one died. Out of my 25000+ posts, not very often I get that reaction 😁

ntg
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Autotrail
Base Vehicle: Comanche
Subject:

· 
Posted: 03.03.2020  ·  #8
Quote by Ally

Got you all posting and debating all the same 😁🤫

Of course I knew it was a risky subject, but thought we could discuss/debate.

Oh well, no one died. Out of my 22000+ posts, not very often I get that reaction 😁

Wind up merchant.😄😂

Ally
Founder
Subject:

· 
Posted: 03.03.2020  ·  #9
I wasn't, honestly.

But, always look on the bright side of life....

Whatever ends well...... Ends well.. 🤔

Liked by: eirebus, ntg

baguette
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Rapido 963F
Base Vehicle: Ducato 2.8 JTD Power
Subject:

· 
Posted: 03.03.2020  ·  #10
Hi Ally, I put it down to a brain f@rt but the smell from the OP was more akin to that of a sewer, nevermind the smell is gone now TG. :up:
As used to be said in the days of unreliable telly transmissions 'normal service has resumed' :D

Liked by: Ally, eirebus

Ally
Founder
Subject:

· 
Posted: 04.03.2020  ·  #11
😛

Liked by: JJF

JJF
Eat's Sleep's craic
Homepage: MotorhomeCraic.com
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 04.03.2020  ·  #12
Ally
Founder
Subject:

· 
Posted: 04.03.2020  ·  #13
Quote by JJF

Good one

It's said that for a long time :)

Ally
Founder
Subject:

· 
Posted: 04.03.2020  ·  #14
O-)

Liked by: Flipperdipper, panda

<BM>
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Rimor Superbrig
Base Vehicle: Ford Transit
Subject:

· 
Posted: 04.03.2020  ·  #15
There are a number if forums and comment sections on news clickbait sites that entertain discussion on such topics. They all draw the nutbags from the extreme on both sides, like flies to shite, generating far more heat than light.
Moderate voices get trolled by both extremes and the whole thing descends to a horrible mess followed by the inevitable *mod edit*, bans and reregistrations and the whole thing starts again with a minor variation in topic.
The cynic in me thinks many of the host sties are happy to host the whole sorry mess for the clicks and some may even deliberately start or at least escalate the aggro.
There is a balance to be struck between free speach / discussing issues and attracting trolls. It's not so much the causing or taking of offence, it's the attraction of the the nutbags that contaminate other sites.

Liked by: Ally, baguette, Chevy g20, eirebus, panda, +deleted user

Selected quotes for multi-quoting:   0

Registered users in this topic

Currently no registered users in this section

The statistic shows who was online during the last 5 minutes. Updated every 90 seconds.