denbo
Craic'er
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

Inverter

· 
Posted: 13.02.2020  ·  #1
This might sound like a daft question but if I plug my 3000 watt pure sine wave inverter directly into my motorhome form my 2 batteries just so i make the existing 230 sockets live for a short time only just to run something low wattage like a DVD player or similar Will l do any damage

The Rambler
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle: Vauxhall Movano 2.5 CDTI
Subject:

Re: Inverter

· 
Posted: 13.02.2020  ·  #2
No. That’s what it’s for.

baguette
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Rapido 963F
Base Vehicle: Ducato 2.8 JTD Power
Subject:

· 
Posted: 13.02.2020  ·  #3
A steamroller to crack a nut.
Such a large inverter will itself used more of you battery power to run itself than the small amount required by the dvd player.
For such small loads a 150watt inverter would be more than enough and use less of the battery reserve.

Liked by: eirebus, ntg, willie

The Rambler
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 13.02.2020  ·  #4
I agree with Baguette. It’s inefficient to use such a big inverter on a small load but it shouldn’t cause damage. If you can justify a large inverter because you are running lots of appliances or bigger loads occasionally then fair enough.

denbo
Craic'er
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 13.02.2020  ·  #5
I was thinking of putting my fridge on 230v through the inverter especially when in Spain when the solar panel is charging the batteries with full sunshine it will obviously save gas
Then when the sun goes down switch back to gas

eirebus
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Dethleffs Advantage
Base Vehicle: Fiat 2.3
Subject:

· 
Posted: 13.02.2020  ·  #6
Quote by denbo

I was thinking of putting my fridge on 230v through the inverter especially when in Spain when the solar panel is charging the batteries with full sunshine it will obviously save gas

Alot of bother to save a little gas

Liked by: ntg

The Rambler
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 13.02.2020  ·  #7
A three way fridge, being an absorption fridge, is very inefficient on electricity. I wouldn’t recommend trying to run it on battery, no matter how much sunshine you get. A compressor fridge is a different matter. Better off keeping the three way on gas or EHU, but not on battery.

Liked by: baguette, eirebus, panda

baguette
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Rapido 963F
Base Vehicle: Ducato 2.8 JTD Power
Subject:

· 
Posted: 13.02.2020  ·  #8
Quote by denbo

Last June the gas packed up on the fridge while at the LeMans 24 hour. As a stopgap I connected the mains supply to the fridge to the inverter. By the end of day one the battery (2 X 110 amp) was well down even though I have 2 X 100 solar panels and a top of range M.P.P.T charge controller.
I think 300watts in mid summer sunshine in southern France or Spain would be the minimum to run a fridge without wiping out the batteries.

Liked by: eirebus

kabundi
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Burstner Harmony 680G
Base Vehicle: Fiat Ducato X290 2.3L 130bhp
Subject:

· 
Posted: 14.02.2020  ·  #9
Quote by denbo

This might sound like a daft question but if I plug my 3000 watt pure sine wave inverter directly into my motorhome form my 2 batteries just so i make the existing 230 sockets live for a short time only just to run something low wattage like a DVD player or similar Will l do any damage

If you decide to do this you need to ensure that the battery charger is switched off otherwise you create a circular situation where

The inverter powers the battery charger
The battery charger charges the battery
The battery powers the inverter
Etc
Etc

The Rambler
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 15.02.2020  ·  #10
Quote by kabundi

If you decide to do this you need to ensure that the battery charger is switched off otherwise you create a circular situation where

The battery charger charges the battery
The battery powers the inverter
Etc
Etc

Yes. Definitely do not have a mains charger powered from the inverter connected back to the battery. You won’t get perpetual motion but some word feedback loop instead.

willie
Love's the Craic
Subject:

Invertor

· 
Posted: 26.02.2020  ·  #11
Just allow the inverter to power one circuit in the motorhome and fit a mains change over switch. You will save batt power and do no damage. That has worked for me for over 10 years also good if the inverter has a remote switch. The inverter should be fitted as close to the battery as possible to reduce voltage drop. Voltage drop at 12v is high once you leave the inverter 230ac cable distance will not be a issue run that to the change over switch.

Selected quotes for multi-quoting:   0

Registered users in this topic

Currently no registered users in this section

The statistic shows who was online during the last 5 minutes. Updated every 90 seconds.