denbo
Craic'er
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

Service my motorhome

· 
Posted: 11.02.2020  ·  #1
I bought a brand new motorhome 12 months ago a Rapido 850 on a fiat chassis I want to get the first service done in the next couple of weeks, I rang a fiat dealer for a price who told me the motorhome doesn't need a service until 2 years old or a certain mialage so good news I thought then he went on to tell me it is advisable to get the oil filter and full oil change, the price for this would be £239 which I thought was a bit expensive but I want to keep the motorhome up to date with all services etc
I then rang a local independent garage to me for a price of oil filter and oil change, the price was £90 all in he will stamp my service book and tells me it will be the same job as a fiat garage also using fiat parts and the same oil fiat will use
So my question is obviously I will go to the local garage for the work but am I missing something by doing this should I use the fiat garage

Daffysparks

Subject:

Re: Service my motorhome

· 
Posted: 11.02.2020  ·  #2
Check will your warranty hold, if you have not used an authorised Fiat garage

Liked by: CHAUSSON

Ally
Founder
Homepage: motorhomecraic.com
My Motorhome: Lunar Roadstar 780
Base Vehicle: Fiat 2.8 JTD
Subject:

· 
Posted: 11.02.2020  ·  #3
The Fiat part of your van has a different warranty than your habitation side. It's what Fiat advise is what stands, usually a VAT registered local garage can do the work if they stamp it and use the correct parts.

I would very much doubt it needs an oil change :/

A Mercedes Sprinter I drove had its first oil change at 34000 miles which is recommended by Mercedes. Someone is wiping your eye, but then I wouldn't doubt that.

Liked by: eirebus

sprinter
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Matilda 2 Pilote 703FP Explorateur
Base Vehicle: 3ltr 318 Sprinter Automatic
Subject:

Service my motorhome

· 
Posted: 11.02.2020  ·  #4
Quote by denbo

I bought a brand new motorhome 12 months ago a Rapido 850 on a fiat chassis I want to get the first service done in the next couple of weeks, I rang a fiat dealer for a price who told me the motorhome doesn't need a service until 2 years old or a certain mialage so good news I thought then he went on to tell me it is advisable to get the oil filter and full oil change, the price for this would be £239 which I thought was a bit expensive but I want to keep the motorhome up to date with all services etc
I then rang a local independent garage to me for a price of oil filter and oil change, the price was £90 all in he will stamp my service book and tells me it will be the same job as a fiat garage also using fiat parts and the same oil fiat will use
So my question is obviously I will go to the local garage for the work but am I missing something by doing this should I use the fiat garage

This is typical Main dealer blackmail first he said it's not required and then the ( blackmail but if ) it is either required or not.
My answer would go into a Fiat dealer and buy a filter, or look at what filter is fitted and then get it online if you can, then bring it to your local guy to have it fitted and do the oil change and don't go near the service book. that is if you accept the Blackmail in the first place and want to change the oil and filter.

eirebus
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Dethleffs Advantage
Base Vehicle: Fiat 2.3
Subject:

· 
Posted: 11.02.2020  ·  #5
What does your Van ( fiat ) manual say ,go by that as Fiat wrote it

Liked by: baguette

TommyS
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: EuraMobil
Base Vehicle: Fiat
Subject:

· 
Posted: 11.02.2020  ·  #6
Check out EU Block Exemption for car servicing.

ColinM
Craic Addict
My Motorhome: Rapido 655F
Base Vehicle: Fiat Ducato
Subject:

· 
Posted: 11.02.2020  ·  #7
My Rapido was first reg March 18, I checked with the Fiat garage about getting a service after 12 months, they assured me this wasn't necessary, I'm sure the quote was closer to £300, I decided to leave it for 24 months as stated in the service schedule. Last week I booked it in to a Fiat dealer for its first service, I was surprised that they only charged £200 for the service and checked for the recall for brake pipes ( tucker etc.). While there, they found the fan belt pulley needs to be replaced, I'm now waiting for the part.

Liked by: sprinter

JMAC
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 11.02.2020  ·  #8
Hi Dennis, I had the 1st service done on my Rapido in year 2 as stated in the service manual.There were 8730 miles on the clock. It was done by Donnellys of Mallusk and they advised that I had to have all filters replaced, i.e Oil, Air, Fuel and Pollen Filters. It cost £449.26. They also stated that whilst the service book indicates 1st service at year 2, they would advise you to get oil and filter change in the 1st year because of the low mileage.
I got the 2nd service done at Donnellys last August (year 3) at 12389 miles. General service and oil & filter change, £228. They state that all filters should be replaced at year 4 service. Not sure if I'm prepared to give them another £450 as the mh is now out of warranty.

Liked by: denbo

baguette
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Rapido 963F
Base Vehicle: Ducato 2.8 JTD Power
Subject:

· 
Posted: 11.02.2020  ·  #9
I would get the vehicle serviced as recommended in the manufacturer's handbook, being a motorhome it will certainly be the time-based interval, not the distance.

BTW and a bit off-topic, but, when taking delivery of a new motorhome do visit your local main dealer and check when the warranty clock started. I have experience of a new motorhome having over six months of its warranty period elapsed. The period started when the chassis was bought by the builder, not when the vehicle was eventually sold, a call to the local main dealer with proof of first registration and date of purchase got the warranty clock reset to zero.

baguette
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Rapido 963F
Base Vehicle: Ducato 2.8 JTD Power
Subject:

· 
Posted: 11.02.2020  ·  #10
Quote by JMAC

Hi Dennis, I had the 1st service done on my Rapido in year 2 as stated in the service manual.There were 8730 miles on the clock. It was done by Donnellys of Mallusk and they advised that I had to have all filters replaced, i.e Oil, Air, Fuel and Pollen Filters. It cost £449.26. They also stated that whilst the service book indicates 1st service at year 2, they would advise you to get oil and filter change in the 1st year because of the low mileage.
I got the 2nd service done at Donnellys last August (year 3) at 12389 miles. General service and oil & filter change, £228. They state that all filters should be replaced at year 4 service. Not sure if I'm prepared to give them another £450 as the mh is now out of warranty.

Air filter, depends on the condition
Pollen filter, the same
Fuel filter,the same
Oil and oil filter definitely a must, I always change the oil and oil filter in my vehicles at least every year. Good quality clean oil is the lifeblood of an engine and will lead to more or less unlimited trouble service.

Liked by: eirebus

TommyS
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: EuraMobil
Base Vehicle: Fiat
Subject:

· 
Posted: 11.02.2020  ·  #11
Have to agree with baguette I change oil, oil filter, fuel filter and reoil the K&N air filter every year.

Selected quotes for multi-quoting:   0

Registered users in this topic

Currently no registered users in this section

The statistic shows who was online during the last 5 minutes. Updated every 90 seconds.