Blag
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: 1980 Coachmen Leprechaun
Base Vehicle: GMC G35 Vandura. 6.7 Litre Chevy V8
Subject:

Roof Paint

· 
Posted: 09.09.2017  ·  #1
Can anyone recommend a product to paint over an aluminium roof skin? I'd like to apply a waterproofing product on my roof before I start replacing the ceilings inside...

My local stockist has a rustoleum product called "Dakfill" @ €61 per 5kg tin (Colour grey) but before I buy, I'd be interested in getting advice or alternative recommendations from any of you that have repainted your roof!

thanks!

CHAUSSON
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Knaus Sport Ti 700 UFB Silverline
Base Vehicle: Renault Master 150 dci Quickshift
Subject:

Re: Roof Paint

· 
Posted: 09.09.2017  ·  #2
Don't know of any suitable products, Kevin, but if you have bare aluminium exposed you might need to use an Etch Primer under what ever you decide to use.

unhappy camper
Love's the Craic
My Motorhome: 1995 swift royal 610
Base Vehicle: Peugeot boxer
Subject:

· 
Posted: 09.09.2017  ·  #3
We have thought of getting our roof vinyl wrapped has anyone ever tried this thought it might be better than painting

nilrac
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 09.09.2017  ·  #4
Kevin, this might be worth a look, Clorinated Rubber Paint. This is used in swimming pools etc and if it is good for keeping water in ,then it certainly would keep it out. It is a satin grey colour and would be ideal if your motor has to stand outside. Have a look at Jawel Paints on google ,they are in Birmingham, but I am sure you could get it here. As your roof is already painted it would not need etching, that is for bare metal, just a good flatten with say a 160 wet and dry.

Blag
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 10.09.2017  ·  #5
Quote by unhappy camper

We have thought of getting our roof vinyl wrapped has anyone ever tried this thought it might be better than painting

That sounds like a great idea! Not sure it'd suit us though as there's a lot of stuff up on our roof that would be in the way when laying out a vinyl sheet. Sky lights, vents, railings etc.

That's why I was thinking a rubberized paint or edpm would be more suitable.

If you do wrap your roof let us know how you got on!

Thorn123
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Chasson flash 03
Base Vehicle: Ford transit 2.2
Subject:

· 
Posted: 10.09.2017  ·  #6
In order to full waterproof your roof all the accessories, skylights, rail, aerial, etc, would need to be removed. The old sealants need to be removed also. To do it right, the metal should be striped bare in order to avoid the old paint from reacting with the new paint. To successfully paint aluminium the first coat should be an etching primer to chemical bond to the aluminium skin, which is sanded flat and it provides a stable environment for the other coats of paint to bond.
The chemical composition of paints has changed greatly over the last 15 years primarily from solvent bases to water base. If you cover an old solvent base paint with a water based paint you have a disaster on your hands.
Considering that you are painting a roof, I would be inclined to recommend to use a marine paint which should be the best to with stand weather and also algae growth.
Malcolm

Ally
Founder
Homepage: motorhomecraic.com
My Motorhome: Lunar Roadstar 780
Base Vehicle: Fiat 2.8 JTD
Subject:

· 
Posted: 10.09.2017  ·  #7
Surprised you don't have a rubber roof. Thought all RVs did.

JJF
Eat's Sleep's craic
Homepage: MotorhomeCraic.com
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 10.09.2017  ·  #8
Kevin,
Have you looked at a product called Rhino Liners?
It's an extremely durable spray on liner that is used in pickups in agricultural/commercial applications.
There is agents in Ireland for the company, this one in Hillsborough but there is definitely agents down south too.
See Rhino Liners for details.

Thorn123
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 10.09.2017  ·  #9
Kevin,
What ever product that you will have no lasting effect unless the skylights etc are removed and the new paint applied under them. New sealant under the skylights etc would also future proof against leaks. The same should be considered about the roof edge beading rails.
I understand there is alot of work in doing this but long term it will increase the life of your wagon.
Malcolm.
Ps, Allied Industrial Coating based in Dublin carry a huge range of options for you but I not sure if they are trade only or deal with everyone.

CHAUSSON
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 10.09.2017  ·  #10
Quote by Thorn123

Kevin,
What ever product that you will have no lasting effect unless the skylights etc are removed and the new paint applied under them. New sealant under the skylights etc would also future proof against leaks. The same should be considered about the roof edge beading rails.
I understand there is alot of work in doing this but long term it will increase the life of your wagon.
Malcolm.
Ps, Allied Industrial Coating based in Dublin carry a huge range of options for you but I not sure if they are trade only or deal with everyone.

I have to agree with Malcolm there, if you seal all the Joints there ill be no need to paint the roof, I know personally if I went to buy a Motorhome with the roof painted with a rubber or non original paint finish I would run a mile. any paint you will use will not be a long term fix for leaking sealant..

heanorboy
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Wildax Europa
Base Vehicle: 2015 Renault Master
Subject:

· 
Posted: 10.09.2017  ·  #11
Hi Kevin.
Over the past many many months I have followed with both awe and jealousy on how you have rescued your wonderful motorhome.
Re waterproofing the roof in order to protect its appearance are you looking to apply inside in which case I would have thought a good coating of mastic type material along the joint lines inside of the type that you are going to use to seal the joints on the outside. On top of this maybe add some acoustic lining before the insulation and final finish coat. The roof then of course finished to match the rest of the body
Through reading and following the rebuild I do know that you must know a lot more than me so if you think I am talking **** please ignore my rambling
Looking forward to the next update
David

nilrac
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 10.09.2017  ·  #12
Kevin.if you go into ebay and put in RV roof paint, you will see the paint for this project on sale in the U.S. and learn how they handle it in the states. You only want to go as far as what gives you a good result.

sprinter
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Matilda 2 Pilote 703FP Explorateur
Base Vehicle: 3ltr 318 Sprinter Automatic
Subject:

Roof Paint

· 
Posted: 11.09.2017  ·  #13
Kevin have you considered Fibre glassing the roof .it works on boats and now seems to be the thing for flat roof building ?

unhappy camper
Love's the Craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 12.09.2017  ·  #14
We tried rhino liners in hillsborough but he didn't think it would work as it isn't flexible and was quite costly my husband did the roof with fibre glass but for some reason it is very hard to keep clean dirt seems to gather in the brush marks maybe a professional job would be allright that's why I thought of vinyl wrapping don't know how much it would cost yet will let you know when I find out

jacktherev
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Adria Vision
Base Vehicle: Renault
Subject:

· 
Posted: 12.09.2017  ·  #15
There's a guy some where near Ballymena that does vinal wrapping.

Blag
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 12.09.2017  ·  #16
Some great comments and insight lads, thanks. Some very valid pointers above.
Epdm seems to be a real buzz word amongst american RV'ers. A rubberised flexible roofing membrane.
But having read some of your comments, I'm still on the fence. Almost to the point where i'm thinking about replacing the aluminium roof skin completely!!
If I remove all of the roof hardware and sealing trims, then while I'm at it, for another few hundred euros, maybe I should completely replace the 40 year old roof skin!!
Decisions... I gotta draw the line somewhere...
When I get back to Ireland I'll talk to some local suppliers. (edpm and alu sheet suppliers). It'll boil down to costs in the end I guess. I'm rapidly approaching the budget limit I originally set for the project.
The original roof is unpainted aluminium. It has a few pinholes upfront from electrolysis, in an area where at some stage, someone placed a mild steel platform for cb ariel and tv antenna, The rest of the roof is generally in good condition. I'm still in two minds to patch and go, resurface it with edpm or re-roof it with new aluminium!

Ally
Founder
Subject:

· 
Posted: 12.09.2017  ·  #17
I used rubber paint on the RV we had for a brief time. It had a rubber roof.

It is amazing stuff...

CHAUSSON
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 12.09.2017  ·  #18
Kevin you are doing a mighty Job, infact it is nearly a mirror image of a project I was doing myself in 2000, I started building a 5 berth Motorhome , Like yourself I was doing everything to the highest standard, it was taking ages due to the Day job and then one night cattle got into the shed that I was working on it and broke the lamps and buckled the side panels. after that I abandoned it and Bought our first Motorhome 10 years later and then we only needed a Two berth. My biggest regret was been so fussy and not getting it on the road to a lesser speck, if I did that we could have had many a good Holiday with the Kids, by the time we got on the road the Kids were no longer kids and never came with us.
My advice to you Kevin is patch the roof, get it on the road as quick as you can and enjoy it with your Family while they are young and you will have many happy memories and so will they, it is too big just for only yourself and your wife.

Blag
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 12.09.2017  ·  #19
That's probably the best advice on this thread Pat. You are 100% right. Sometimes I admit I tend to lose sight of the goal. Using the bloody thing!
And yeah, same as yourself, when I started this +4 years ago, the 'kids' were kids. Now at 18 & 16... I have a sickening feeling they will follow the same suit as yours did...

sprinter
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 12.09.2017  ·  #20
Kevin you will love it when they come and ask can we borrow the van Dad .
Or not.

nilrac
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 13.09.2017  ·  #21
Kev, you must be an expert on RV roofs by now, Stipping off the old is ok and would outlast the van if you can put it under cover whilst you work on it and have the time and be prepared for what you find inside, The weather here is not very sociable to outside projects. you can patch the pin hole section and put strips across the joints with Ali pieces using two pack adhesives and weighed down till they set, all the new box vans are built this way now ,rivets are in the past. I would then paint it with grey clorinated paint, I would think it would look better than black. Everything would depend how long you want to keep it.

Thorn123
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 13.09.2017  ·  #22
I agree with Pat's advise about moving the project on.
A possible solution for your pinhole area on the roof, would be to use the heavy duty foil tape that is used to repair lead valleys on a house roof. It's available in most hardware shops.
A fellow motorhomer used it to stop his roof leaking at the back of the overcab bed on each side rails. It worked and 3 years on, it is still there.
Use coarse sandpaper to remove dirt and oxide. The roughened surface will give the tape better sticking grip. With the weather cooler now, a little heat from a heat gun would do no harm.
Use a wallpaper roller, about 2 inch across, to push the tape firmly to remove air bubbles.
Some people might say that this repair is only temporary but if it helps to finish the camper and gets you on the road, a longer term repair can be done at a future date.
Malcolm

Blag
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 17.09.2017  ·  #23
I made my decision and I'm going to paint it with a flexible roofing membrane, colour grey. I also figured I'd remove and reseal all of the roof trim, rail pads and roof vents before painting, so I started prepping the roof this weekend.

Old boomerang tv aerial needs to go too. :-(

Thanks for all the advice above!

K

jacktherev
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Adria Vision
Base Vehicle: Renault
Subject:

· 
Posted: 17.09.2017  ·  #24
I wish you all the best, just wish I had the same courage as you to take on such a big task.

mad max
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 17.09.2017  ·  #25
Good going Kevin,

You wont feel it coming together now :up:

nilrac
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 17.09.2017  ·  #26
Good Luck Kev, The hardest part of any project is the first step

nilrac
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 22.09.2017  ·  #27
Kevin, would stonechip underseal do your job ? ,tough wearing and comes in white spray cans.

Blag
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 22.09.2017  ·  #28
Quote by nilrac

Kevin, would stonechip underseal do your job ? ,tough wearing and comes in white spray cans.

It would! Underseal was one of my top choices, but in the end I chose a flexible acrylic roofing product that's intended for purpose. Hopefully it will be a long lasting option that'll hold up to weathering and UV exposure!
I'm using Upol tigerseal polyeurethane sealer on the roof hardware. That stuff is incredible.

unhappy camper
Love's the Craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 25.09.2017  ·  #29
Checked out vinyl wrapping was quoted £700 but lifespan just a couple of years not worth it

Blag
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 12.10.2017  ·  #30
Removing & resealing the hardware up on the roof with out damaging the old plastic parts is a PITA, but I'm nearly finished. Only one vent to go.

The only casualty of war was the old metal exhaust vent above the fridge. It disintegrated when I started to remove it. Only the paint was holding it together. So a friend brought a new plastic Dometic one back from the US for me. I couldn't get a beige one, so I bought the arctic white and painted it beige. I am very pleased with it! Hopefully the plastic primer does what it says on the tin and the paint doesn't chip off.

It's the little things really... :lol:

Old

New

rvroofmagic
Subject:

Instead of using any ordinary coating

· 
Posted: 05.02.2020  ·  #31
Instead of using any ordinary coating, I recommend using RV Roof Magic. RV Roof Magic is true “Do it yourself” product with one coat application system. RV Roof Magic can be applied to various metal roofing systems as well as rubber roofs and also rv’s where someone has put another coating previously.

Blag
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 05.02.2020  ·  #32
Quote by rvroofmagic

Instead of using any ordinary coating, I recommend using

:-/

Liked by: sprinter

ntg
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Autotrail
Base Vehicle: Comanche
Subject:

· 
Posted: 05.02.2020  ·  #33
Quote by rvroofmagic

Instead of using any ordinary coating, I recommend using RV Roof Magic. RV Roof Magic is true “Do it yourself” product with one coat application system. RV Roof Magic can be applied to various metal roofing systems as well as rubber roofs and also rv’s where someone has put another coating previously.

Please give us your reasons, also is there any connection between your name and this product?
As a first time contributor do you use it yourself or do you sell it?

The Rambler
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle: Vauxhall Movano 2.5 CDTI
Subject:

· 
Posted: 05.02.2020  ·  #34
I would recommend Rambler’s Roof Sealer myself. 60% of the time, it works all of the time!

Warning: This product may cause undesirable discoloring or delirium. To reduce the risk of serious suffocation, do not open indoors.

Liked by: Ally, TommyS

Ally
Founder
Subject:

· 
Posted: 05.02.2020  ·  #35
The roof coating post was reported today. I let it slide temporarily as unlike usual spammers or free advertiser's there was no link.

I'll bet 2p they don't come back, my bet is them. 😁

Liked by: eirebus, JettaJohn, JJF, ntg, +deleted user

Ally
Founder
Subject:

· 
Posted: 13.05.2020  ·  #36
He's back - he's gone. :D

JJF
Eat's Sleep's craic
Homepage: MotorhomeCraic.com
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 13.05.2020  ·  #37
According to his IP address the person in question is blacklisted on multiple sites, a spammer for sure.

Liked by: eirebus

Flipperdipper
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: HOBBY 600
Base Vehicle: Fiat Ducato 2.8
Subject:

· 
Posted: 13.05.2020  ·  #38
Wouldn't it be great if you could lock him in with the generator guy and the bloke with the RV ovens so that they could keep spamming each other, that would keep them busy for awhile. :lol: :lol:

Liked by: airtoday20, Ally, eirebus

Ally
Founder
Subject:

· 
Posted: 13.05.2020  ·  #39
Quote by JJF

According to his IP address the person in question is blacklisted on multiple sites, a spammer for sure.

Must grab his IP next time and ban that.

sprinter
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

Roof Paint

· 
Posted: 14.05.2020  ·  #40
Quote by Ally

Quote by JJF

Must grab his IP next time and ban that.

Getting your hands on his SS and give a very hard squeeze

Liked by: Ally

Selected quotes for multi-quoting:   0

Registered users in this topic

Currently no registered users in this section

The statistic shows who was online during the last 5 minutes. Updated every 90 seconds.