DBH
Craic'er
My Motorhome: American RV
Base Vehicle: Four Winds International
Subject:

New to RV'ing

· 
Posted: 01.02.2020  ·  #1
So, we have enjoyed using our motorhome and we are virtually full timers now.
We thought we would change to a RV for all of the advantages it will (hopefully!) bring.
We are buying from England and it's a Four Winds International Hurricane 31 feet. (a bit of a mouthful)
Any advice you can give me would be really appreciated please.
We hopefully pick it up at the end of next week.
My main concern is finding suitable places for dumping the black waste and I'm assuming that aires are probably the best place to do this in Northern Ireland?
Thank you in advance.

Ally
Founder
Homepage: motorhomecraic.com
My Motorhome: Lunar Roadstar 780
Base Vehicle: Fiat 2.8 JTD
Subject:

Re: New to RV'ing

· 
Posted: 01.02.2020  ·  #2
Oh I could tell you a few stories about RV dumps 😂

But I'll let an expert tell you, I'd put you off for life.

@PaulH

TommyS
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: EuraMobil
Base Vehicle: Fiat
Subject:

· 
Posted: 01.02.2020  ·  #3
First bit of advice. If you are dumping black waste don’t try and get it into a bucket :happy:

Liked by: Ally, big LIam, eirebus

DBH
Craic'er
Subject:

· 
Posted: 01.02.2020  ·  #4
Nice! What about a big, big bucket? ;-)

TommyS
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: EuraMobil
Base Vehicle: Fiat
Subject:

· 
Posted: 01.02.2020  ·  #5
Trust me it doesn’t work

DBH
Craic'er
Subject:

· 
Posted: 02.02.2020  ·  #6
I believe you totally.

Is using an aire de service the easiest method?

Some if the smaller CLs might not be suitable and wondered if there might be an up to date list of the best places to park North and South?

Galldar
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Paddy the Pilote Galaxy 78MX
Base Vehicle: Citroen 2.5TD
Subject:

· 
Posted: 02.02.2020  ·  #7
PaulH
Paid up member.
Homepage: thespaceplace.info
My Motorhome: Thor Axis on LPG.
Base Vehicle: Ford E350 v10.
Subject:

· 
Posted: 02.02.2020  ·  #8
Hi DBH, well done on your decision you'll love an RV. With regard to size of RV we've been on a gradual downsize and with our current one at 26ft with 1 slide, I think we've got the ideal for for use in Ireland. The bigger ones, we've had a 36ft with 2 slides, 11ton and a 31ft with 3 slides 9ton I found too limiting both on sites and for the roads here, in France not so much and don't forget the width, most RV's are on the legal limit at 8ft not including mirrors, ours is 7ft6 and much easier to handle. Personally, I prefer petrol RV's as you have the option to convert to lpg, all ours have been done, very sensible, with a diesel you don't have the option.
With regard to dumping, it's not so difficult, just takes a bit if thought, a macerator is a good investment as are a pair of manhole lifters.
Don't be put off by bringing one in from England, all 4 of ours were from there. If you want to pm me I'll give my number and I'll answer any question you like with regard to dealers etc.
All in all, I reckon an RV gives you more than a Euro MH and they offer good value.

Liked by: DBH, sprinter

DBH
Craic'er
Subject:

· 
Posted: 02.02.2020  ·  #9
DBH
Craic'er
Subject:

· 
Posted: 02.02.2020  ·  #10
Quote by PaulH

Hi DBH, well done on your decision you'll love an RV. With regard to size of RV we've been on a gradual downsize and with our current one at 26ft with 1 slide, I think we've got the ideal for for use in Ireland. The bigger ones, we've had a 36ft with 2 slides, 11ton and a 31ft with 3 slides 9ton I found too limiting both on sites and for the roads here, in France not so much and don't forget the width, most RV's are on the legal limit at 8ft not including mirrors, ours is 7ft6 and much easier to handle. Personally, I prefer petrol RV's as you have the option to convert to lpg, all ours have been done, very sensible, with a diesel you don't have the option.
With regard to dumping, it's not so difficult, just takes a bit if thought, a macerator is a good investment as are a pair of manhole lifters.
Don't be put off by bringing one in from England, all 4 of ours were from there. If you want to pm me I'll give my number and I'll answer any question you like with regard to dealers etc.
All in all, I reckon an RV gives you more than a Euro MH and they offer good value.

I very much appreciate your comments.

Your 36ft one must have been huge!

The one we are getting is petrol and you would recommend converting that to lpg? Anyone local might do that and does it cost of fortune?

The dealer in England has been very helpful answering our queries and sending additional photos and videos which all helps. However, I have never bought without actually seeing before and this in between period of having purchased it, but not getting to see it until Friday, is not easy!

Good to know that you have bought many times in England and that has helped us.

I'm probably making too much of the black water dumping issue and I think if I just park near Ali's address, it should all be fine :-)

Thanks again!

willie
Love's the Craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 02.02.2020  ·  #11
I have a hurricane 33' biggest issue I had was getting used to how to drive it and I have a hgv licence. Found out by accident I was in a bus near Alton Towers tiny bendy roads. Got a sear behind the bus driver and watched what he did. Pick where to pull in a let the small vehicle do the manoeuvre.
Recon is there is tarmac on the road there had to be a truck down it.
Rvs have many benefits and also down sides. There is no perfect motorhome regardless of size. Biggest issue will be what to change to next. We have been looking for a smaller van for years. Just finding near impossible to go smaller. Te payload is an issue with nearly all European Van's, and why we got the RV all the years ago. I have made many upgrades to mine over the years and still at it.
Some sites can be huffy re RV,s but same with tag axle euro Van's.
We are rarely on a site. Do your research and you will be OK.
Enjoy!

Liked by: DBH, panda, PaulH, sprinter, TommyS

DBH
Craic'er
Subject:

· 
Posted: 03.02.2020  ·  #12
Thanks for the feedback from the professional RV'ers!

All this insight is valuable.

Liked by: PaulH, sprinter

PaulH
Paid up member.
Subject:

· 
Posted: 03.02.2020  ·  #13
What are you buying, what dealer, do you need an hgv licenve, do you have the right licence ? There's an old saying that is 'buy your third RV first....' for Ireland the bigger ones can limit you. Lots of questions.... I've used Autogas conversions, Portadown. Alistair is the top man, I've found, for LPG, he's not actually doing the conversion now, but he checks and ok's it once done. Cost last year for mine, based on a Ford V10 ( there's a particular ecu for the v10) was about £2k for twin tanks giving me about a 230 miles range. That's fine for here as I have a couple of LPG vendors local to me and I also have a couple of LPG apps. should we go further afield. In France LPG is common and easily found on autoroute.

davetherave
Love's the Craic
My Motorhome: Compass Avantgarde
Base Vehicle: Peugeot Boxer
Subject:

· 
Posted: 03.02.2020  ·  #14
Quote by PaulH

What are you buying, what dealer, do you need an hgv licenve, do you have the right licence ? There's an old saying that is 'buy your third RV first....' for Ireland the bigger ones can limit you. Lots of questions.... I've used Autogas conversions, Portadown. Alistair is the top man, I've found, for LPG, he's not actually doing the conversion now, but he checks and ok's it once done. Cost last year for mine, based on a Ford V10 ( there's a particular ecu for the v10) was about £2k for twin tanks giving me about a 230 miles range. That's fine for here as I have a couple of LPG vendors local to me and I also have a couple of LPG apps. should we go further afield. In France LPG is common and easily found on autoroute.

Hi PaulH

What LPG apps are you using?

PaulH
Paid up member.
Subject:

· 
Posted: 03.02.2020  ·  #15
Hi, I've used a couple in the past, but most recently I've downloaded
'my lpg.eu', it found a few staions I hadn't known about last year and there's reviews, directions etc on it.

Liked by: davetherave

Ally
Founder
Homepage: motorhomecraic.com
My Motorhome: Lunar Roadstar 780
Base Vehicle: Fiat 2.8 JTD
Subject:

· 
Posted: 03.02.2020  ·  #16
Quote by davetherave

All LPG in Ireland listed on MPI, just case you weren't aware.

Liked by: PaulH

davetherave
Love's the Craic
My Motorhome: Compass Avantgarde
Base Vehicle: Peugeot Boxer
Subject:

· 
Posted: 03.02.2020  ·  #17
Quote by Ally

Quote by davetherave

All LPG in Ireland listed on MPI, just case you weren't aware.

Got it, thanks Ally

Liked by: Ally

Selected quotes for multi-quoting:   0

Registered users in this topic

Currently no registered users in this section

The statistic shows who was online during the last 5 minutes. Updated every 90 seconds.