Help!

Importing a van from Northern Ireland

Bunty
Subject:

Help!

· 
Posted: 21.01.2020  ·  #1
Hi all,

I have my heart set on a converted van (a VW 2003 Transporter) I have viewed in Northern Ireland. The owner converted it himself and sent all the paperwork to the DVLA to be reclassified on the log book as a camper van/ motorhome. However, it has come back today as a 'van with windows', with no allowance to appeal unless it magically becomes a high top roof, and 'looks' more like a camper!

I had budgeted for the VRT, but will have to pay huge road tax on it unless it's classed as a camper. I also can't get it insured as I have no reason to have a commercial van, and cannot get it insured privately as I have to state it's main use, which is campervanning!

Is there any way around this?? Can I get it reclassified here as a camper? Will any of the motorhome insurers touch it if it doesn't say camper on the log book?

This is a magic van, so nicely done, and exactly what I was hoping to have a few adventures in... any advice gratefully accepted..

Thank you!

nilrac
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

Re: Help!

· 
Posted: 21.01.2020  ·  #2
You could fit a Fibreglass (GRP) high top or a lift up various examples are on Ebay., There are various manufacturers doing self fit on the google search engine.

Liked by: Bunty

Davy
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Hymer B598 PL
Base Vehicle: Fiat 130 hp multijet
Subject:

· 
Posted: 21.01.2020  ·  #3
I can’t speak for the rules in the republic, but in the Uk (particularly GB) the self converters are having the types of problems you mention. Converted vans now must have a high top, an awning rail, ‘Motorhome graphics’ and at least 2 (I think) widows on each side.

People are simply having to insure as vans, but the main concern is wether they have to pay commercial rates on ferries. There are two very detailed threads on wildcamping.co.uk and motorhomer.com I think they are both started by the same individual. I am having difficulties accessing those sites temporarily (I am changing internet provider) so cannot easily get you links. If I can get on later I will post the thread titles for you.

Davy

Bunty
Subject:

· 
Posted: 22.01.2020  ·  #4
Thanks Davy & Nilrac,

It seems the trouble is going to be insuring the van if it's not classed as a campervan. I can't get insurance as a commercial vehicle as I have no reason to have one and have to be vat-registered! I would love to know if I can get it re-classified here even if I buy it as a 'van with windows'. Has anyone any experience of this?

Nilrac, I'd also love those links you mentioned when you get up and running, thanks.

Thanks again!

Bunty
Subject:

· 
Posted: 22.01.2020  ·  #5
Sorry, I meant Davy!!

JJF
Eat's Sleep's craic
Homepage: MotorhomeCraic.com
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 22.01.2020  ·  #6
You do not need to be vat registered to own or insure or drive a van in Southern Ireland providing you meet the licensing criteria.
In fact, contrary to what’s believed anyone can own and drive a commercial vehicle if they wish. You need to make a declaration in a Garda station that you ‘require’ the vehicle and have a form signed by the Garda and that is for taxation purposes only..... if that’s for carrying power tools to your job or for carrying a pencil for your use.... they’re is no precedent for refusal.

Davy
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Hymer B598 PL
Base Vehicle: Fiat 130 hp multijet
sprinter
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Matilda 2 Pilote 703FP Explorateur
Base Vehicle: 3ltr 318 Sprinter Automatic
Subject:

Help

· 
Posted: 22.01.2020  ·  #8
Bunty.
You should contact Caravan Club of Ireland and their advise.
You will have to pay the VRT if you bring it in and that part of that process is you will have to get it certified by an SQI to prove it is a camper, no matter what the UK people call it.
If the guy is interested in selling it to you it should not be too much trouble for him to bring it south to have it checked out. It will cost you the price of the certification which you will have to pay if you buy it anyway. They also will get you insurance on low roof vans.you would have to join them I have no idea what that involves.
Approach them for help and let us know you get on.

Bunty
Subject:

· 
Posted: 22.01.2020  ·  #9
Thanks so much for all the info, that's all really useful!

It seems such a shame that all these hoops have to be jumped through when all I want is to go on some adventurous road trips, spend money in the local economy, enjoy life in the slow lane, meet new people on my way and do no harm to anyone or this lovely planet of ours.

I'll keep you posted on how it pans out :-)

Geri
Love's the Craic
My Motorhome: Adria Twin
Base Vehicle: Fiat Ducato
Subject:

· 
Posted: 22.01.2020  ·  #10
Hi my van was a transit self build and I was able to ensure it through a company called highway. I know the rules have changed but you could always give them a ring to see what they say.

Liked by: Bunty, CHAUSSON, +deleted user

Bunty
Subject:

· 
Posted: 22.01.2020  ·  #11
Thanks Geri,

I'll look into that, too!

The Rambler
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle: Vauxhall Movano 2.5 CDTI
Subject:

· 
Posted: 23.01.2020  ·  #12
Quote by JJF

You do not need to be vat registered to own or insure or drive a van in Southern Ireland providing you meet the licensing criteria.
In fact, contrary to what’s believed anyone can own and drive a commercial vehicle if they wish. You need to make a declaration in a Garda station that you ‘require’ the vehicle and have a form signed by the Garda and that is for taxation purposes only..... if that’s for carrying power tools to your job or for carrying a pencil for your use.... they’re is no precedent for refusal.

This whole area is very confusing to me Jon. So say you want to own/ drive a van (not converted), as your mode of transport, instead of a car. It’s not for business or commercial purposes and your are not a tradesman. How does that work in terms of tax and insurance? Do you get commercial rates?

baguette
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Rapido 963F
Base Vehicle: Ducato 2.8 JTD Power
Subject:

· 
Posted: 23.01.2020  ·  #13
The 'van with windows' is a makey uppy UK thing.
Here in the RoI Revenue, who decide the category apply the EU criteria which is it must have:
seats and a table.
sleeping accommodation (which may be converted from the seats)
cooking facilities.
and.
storage facilities.
As you can see there is no mention of window configuration or internal height.
Having said that unless the internal height permits standing straight it will not be allowed the special €102 road tax, AFAIK it will be subject to the same tax regime as a car.

Liked by: Bunty

JJF
Eat's Sleep's craic
Homepage: MotorhomeCraic.com
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 23.01.2020  ·  #14
Quote by The Rambler

This whole area is very confusing to me Jon. So say you want to own/ drive a van (not converted), as your mode of transport, instead of a car. It’s not for business or commercial purposes and your are not a tradesman. How does that work in terms of tax and insurance? Do you get commercial rates?

Went through this nonsense when my son was at uni and I had a van that I wasn’t using and gave to him as a transport means. He insured it as a van without issue and when he went to tax it the office asked him to take a form and have it completed at the Garda station. I accompanied him and the Garda on duty didn’t give one care what he told him what he used it for, told him it was for carrying sports equipment !.... he stamped the form and took it back to motor tax office where they duly taxed it for €333 for the year.

Bunty
Subject:

· 
Posted: 23.01.2020  ·  #15
Hi all,

Ok, I've spent the day on the phone but I'm getting there!

The VRT people were almost impossible to get hold of but there is a section on their website which mentions reclassifying a van as a converted camper van before registering it here but it was all a bit unclear. However, I did eventually get to speak to a very nice chap who told me that yes, if it looks like a camper, acts like a camper and will be used as a camper, then I just need to get an SQI to sign it off as such.

I then spoke to the Motor Caravan Club who were hugely helpful - they can get an SQI to look at it within the 30 day time limit for registering it and can also insure it under their scheme even though it's a low roof T4. I'll submit photos of the van to them to make sure it fits their criteria (I'm certain it does!) Delighted with all this, looks like this is all do-able :-) As for the extra road tax, I'll put up with that if this all works out...

Thanks to all of you for pointing me in the right directions, it seemed so disappointing up to that...

Liked by: Chevy g20, eirebus, JJF, panda, sprinter, +deleted user

airhead_eire

Subject:

· 
Posted: 23.01.2020  ·  #16
Quote by baguette

Having said that unless the internal height permits standing straight it will not be allowed the special €102 road tax, AFAIK it will be subject to the same tax regime as a car.

That's not the case. I have a standard height T5 that is taxed and insured as a motorcaravan.

airhead_eire

Subject:

· 
Posted: 23.01.2020  ·  #17
Quote by Bunty

Hi all,

Ok, I've spent the day on the phone but I'm getting there!

The VRT people were almost impossible to get hold of but there is a section on their website which mentions reclassifying a van as a converted camper van before registering it here but it was all a bit unclear. However, I did eventually get to speak to a very nice chap who told me that yes, if it looks like a camper, acts like a camper and will be used as a camper, then I just need to get an SQI to sign it off as such.

I then spoke to the Motor Caravan Club who were hugely helpful - they can get an SQI to look at it within the 30 day time limit for registering it and can also insure it under their scheme even though it's a low roof T4. I'll submit photos of the van to them to make sure it fits their criteria (I'm certain it does!) Delighted with all this, looks like this is all do-able :-) As for the extra road tax, I'll put up with that if this all works out...

Thanks to all of you for pointing me in the right directions, it seemed so disappointing up to that...

Does that insurance policy require you to have an everyday alternative vehicle ?

sprinter
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Matilda 2 Pilote 703FP Explorateur
Base Vehicle: 3ltr 318 Sprinter Automatic
Subject:

Help

· 
Posted: 23.01.2020  ·  #18
Bounty.thats great and there will be no extra tax once it is registered as a camper.

For others who may be following this topic, be aware that you may have a problem if there is no standing room. Getting insurance with the other company's.

Liked by: big LIam, Bunty, panda

baguette
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Rapido 963F
Base Vehicle: Ducato 2.8 JTD Power
Subject:

· 
Posted: 24.01.2020  ·  #19
Quote by airhead_eire

Quote by baguette

That's not the case. I have a standard height T5 that is taxed and insured as a motorcaravan.

Primarily a caravan (sic) should provide mobile living accommodation where a person (of average height) can move around comfortably while standing. See Here

AFAIK that wasn't always a requirement, perhaps yours predates it.

CHAUSSON
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Knaus Sport Ti 700 UFB Silverline
Base Vehicle: Renault Master 150 dci Quickshift
Subject:

· 
Posted: 24.01.2020  ·  #20
Quote by baguette

Quote by airhead_eire

Quote by baguette

Primarily a caravan (sic) should provide mobile living accommodation where a person (of average height) can move around comfortably while standing. See Here

AFAIK that wasn't always a requirement, perhaps yours predates it.

A man not too far from me has a bog standard Range rover taxed as Camper and you would find it hard to crawl around that not to mind stand up. it was converted approx 3 or 4 years ago. As Colin says it might not be possible to do that now though.

airhead_eire

Subject:

· 
Posted: 25.01.2020  ·  #21
I don't think the height requirement is enforced. The old rule, years ago, was 1.8 metres of internal height. But that was changed. I queried the standing room thing before and, if I remember rightly, was told that it's not a factor - there is no actual height as a number determined and what is the "average person" height anyway ?
If I remember, the RSA do not mention it.
Maybe they are more strict about it now. I do take the point that it is on the Revenue website though. But there is one conversion company I know of offering low roof VW's as campers, along with the usual elevating type.
I'd be genuinely interested to know what the story is with these regs these days

Selected quotes for multi-quoting:   0

Registered users in this topic

Currently no registered users in this section

The statistic shows who was online during the last 5 minutes. Updated every 90 seconds.