france to northern spain

Jacksbus
My Motorhome: benimar mileo 282
Base Vehicle: Fiat Ducato 2.3
Subject:

france to northern spain

· 
Posted: 21.01.2020  ·  #1
Hi All, am going to France in August(Cherbourg) and coming back from Santander. I am wondering how much of Spain and Portugal would I be able to see in a month ? and also would I have to book sites in advance?

Ally
Founder
Homepage: motorhomecraic.com
My Motorhome: Lunar Roadstar 780
Base Vehicle: Fiat 2.8 JTD
Subject:

Re: france to northern spain

· 
Posted: 21.01.2020  ·  #2
Welcome, I see it's your first post. I've no idea but someone will be along soon :D

Conormclocks
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 21.01.2020  ·  #3
Welcome
I'll be doing a similar trip myself so will be interested in any feedback you get
Conor

eirebus
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Dethleffs Advantage
Base Vehicle: Fiat 2.3
Subject:

· 
Posted: 21.01.2020  ·  #4
Welcome
You will have to book sites in August, don't try to do too much driving around as you'll get to see very little, and come home tired and fed up, France in particular will be very busy in August, do you have children with you

Jacksbus
Subject:

· 
Posted: 21.01.2020  ·  #5
Thanks for replies so far. Yes I have one young lad, we have been to France many times and have found during August to stay inland away from the coast. Have always found campsites easy enough to find inland without booking, but have never tried northern spain. Our goal is to get as far as Santiago De Compostela and possibly Baiona just on the Portugese border. We can stay inland in Spain if we have to,are there many campsites inland?

StrandCampingDoonbeg
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: mobilvetta mh 85
Base Vehicle: Fiat
Subject:

· 
Posted: 21.01.2020  ·  #6
It’s about 1125km from Cherbourg to Santander in a direct line. Can’t say how busy it would be as I’ve not been in summer. But yes there are lots of sites in land. You’d be wise to get an app like Campercontact, park4night or searchforsites Spain will be cheaper than France for most things and northern Spain will be hot but not too hot.
Whatever you decide enjoy it and don’t plan too much or try to do too much.

JJF
Eat's Sleep's craic
Homepage: MotorhomeCraic.com
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 21.01.2020  ·  #7
We’ve done that route but not in Summer months.
Yes, plenty of sites in inland Spain but aires are not as plentiful as France. The campsites we found OK but generally not to the high standard you’ll find in France.
As for your timeframe?, how long is a piece of string. Yes, no problem getting to Portugal for a week/10 days and back to Santander in a months window, but as already suggested it’s probably best not to try and squeeze in too much. You’ll do Cherbourg to French/Spanish border at Irun in a couple of longish days and quite easily if you take the toll route, and that leaves you with 3+ weeks for the rest of your plans.
Again, I’m not sure regarding booking of sites in advance, we never had to as we travelled ‘out of season’ so to speak.
In any case you’ll enjoy it, I’m sure you’ll get more advice from members who have more experience than us in high season.

Jacksbus
Subject:

· 
Posted: 21.01.2020  ·  #8
Thanks Peoples for the welcomes.I like the idea of travelling to different places and normally spend at most 4days in any one place. Have park4night app and the Snooper sat nav, to me the journey and hols begin the the minute we get in the van. Love to see new places off the beaten track. So spending time on the road is my time LOL

rebbyvid
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: TRIBUTE T615 SPORT
Base Vehicle: FORD TRANSIT
Subject:

· 
Posted: 21.01.2020  ·  #9
We are looking to maybe do Northern Spain in June ish and will be driving down through France via tunnel and taking 6 weeks so will also keep my eye on this thread

StrandCampingDoonbeg
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: mobilvetta mh 85
Base Vehicle: Fiat
Subject:

· 
Posted: 22.01.2020  ·  #10
I have travelled the coastline of Spain and Portugal all the way round a few times, because I tour in winter I tend to stick to the coast as it can be quite cold in land especially when higher up. I really like northern Spain from Santander around to the west coast and into Portugal but in the winter months it is invariably colder and wetter than southern or Eastern Spain.
Below are my stops from the start of my trip.

3/10 now at the aire in Santander.
4/10 now at camping Perlora near Gijon
9/10 Aire at tapia €4.
10/10 Now at Foz free aire very near the beach.
12/10 campsite valdovino Acsi rate €18.
Checked lagoa campsite open all year looked good (€22 inc ehu)
14/10 aire outside A Coruna
15/10 Mordomo aire no services adjacent to beach. Satnav would take you along inaccessible roads. service at Ponteceso good.
16/10 now at Fisterra aire 2 nights inc ehu €15.
18/10 Now at the other aire in Boiro, not the one with barrier card entry.
19/10 lay-by O Grove.
20/10 plava praguiera camper stop €10 inc ehu very nice spot,, quiet
21/10 Commercial aire Cangas area 2 nights €30 inc ehu. Tbh I thought this was over priced for what it was.
23/10 Santa Tecla campsite €12 per night very good value. Portugal is the other side of the river.

denbo
Craic'er
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 23.01.2020  ·  #11
We are going to cherbourge beginning of July for 8 weeks this will be the 16th time we have started our holiday in France sometimes from Calais also the eurotunnel
We have never once booked a camp site we mostly use the aires we have a all the aires France Spain Portugal book purchased front Amazon also French passion
The only problem l find driving to Spain or Portugal July and August is it can be to hot but thankfully you can always find a cold beer
We always have a destination in mind but never where we are going to stay and never had any problems finding somewhere to stay
Enjoy yourselves

Selected quotes for multi-quoting:   0

Registered users in this topic

Currently no registered users in this section

The statistic shows who was online during the last 5 minutes. Updated every 90 seconds.