Founder
Homepage: motorhomecraic.com
My Motorhome: Lunar Roadstar 780
Base Vehicle: Fiat 2.8 JTD
Subject:

Racism?

· 
Posted: 17.12.2019  ·  #1
So after witnessing too many posts on FB but also on GB forums, I posted this to Motorhome Ireland FB group, it got quite a few surprising (for me) answers.
------

Bit of a question to see what others think, does anyone else find it annoying when non Irish Motorhome groups assume that all stolen Motorhomes in GB will probably end up in Ireland?

Or that the guy selling the generator is definitely Irish?

Of course that could be the case but it has also been the case that English travellers have tried to sell me a generator in Ireland!

But we wouldn't be as quick to portion blame. ( Ps light hearted question, let's keep it light hearted 😘)

Or do you basically not give a damn? 😁

The Rambler
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle: Vauxhall Movano 2.5 CDTI
Subject:

Re: Racism?

· 
Posted: 17.12.2019  ·  #2
Ever notice the crafty distinction given it seems to only a handful of nations who’s migrants would be afforded the term ‘ex-pats’. A subtle form of racism maybe?

Just sayin, 🧐

panda
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Concerto 255
Base Vehicle: Fiat Ducato 9 spd Auto
Subject:

· 
Posted: 17.12.2019  ·  #3
I could go into a rant but I wont.

Let's just say that when I was on a certain " UK Motorhome Forum " It was infested by Alf Garnett types who would not only slag off Irish people, they would slag the Scot's, the Welsh , French and their anti German vitriol was on another level....

JJF
Eat's Sleep's craic
Homepage: MotorhomeCraic.com
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 18.12.2019  ·  #4
Quote by panda

Let's just say that when I was on a certain " UK Motorhome Forum " It was infested by Alf Garnett types who would not only slag off Irish people, they would slag the Scot's, the Welsh , French and their anti German vitriol was on another level....

Yeah.... ‘fun’ wasn’t it 😉

Ally
Founder
Subject:

· 
Posted: 18.12.2019  ·  #5
I know what forum you mean. So much Fun, not.

Liked by: JJF, panda

Ally
Founder
Subject:

· 
Posted: 17.01.2020  ·  #6
Surprised at the response to this post.

Panda and myself had a bit of a discussion on it last weekend. It was something that both of us were not happy about at all.

Albert the Talbot
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Pilote Galaxy 92
Base Vehicle: Sprinter
Subject:

· 
Posted: 17.01.2020  ·  #7
I had noticed a few Irish jokes this last few days on a GB forum. I bit my tongue but if it crops up again I just might have to ask if I can post racist jokes.

MerlinTheMotorhome
merlinthemotorhome
My Motorhome: Compass Avantgarde
Base Vehicle: Peugeot
Subject:

· 
Posted: 17.01.2020  ·  #8
I remember sitting in a Chinese take away in High Wycombe about 2007, was waiting on my order and a Asian guy walks in, he was obviously English with a Pakistani heritage. The wee woman walks out to take his order and then walks back to shout his order at the kitchen staff in Chinese. The Asian guy then looks over at me and starts babbling some Un-Chinese Chinese sounding words and sniggering, as if to mock the wee woman.

Obviously English I thought.

ROBANDSUE
Nidge
My Motorhome: Hymer 572
Base Vehicle: FORD TRANSIT 2009
Subject:

· 
Posted: 17.01.2020  ·  #9
Quote by Ally

Panda and myself had a bit of a discussion on it last weekend. It was something that both of us were not happy about at all.

not happy in what way?

Liked by: sprinter

StrandCampingDoonbeg
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: mobilvetta mh 85
Base Vehicle: Fiat
Subject:

· 
Posted: 17.01.2020  ·  #10
Racism and stereotypes.
A few years back I was in Spain with an Irish plated van. I met a German called Tony, he got chatting and he was saying how nice Irish people are but he hates English people. I said To Tony that I’m English. Tony said you cannot be English you are not arrogant and I said to Tony, you can’t be German as you have a sense of humour.

I have noticed of the years certain traits or habits that are particular to people who live in specific countries. However I have learnt to stop judging people by their number plate and instead consider the individual from whatever country they are from.

Ally
Founder
Subject:

· 
Posted: 17.01.2020  ·  #11
Quote by ROBANDSUE

Quote by Ally

not happy in what way?

At how some English folk always post that stolen vans will be on their way to Ireland.

ROBANDSUE
Nidge
My Motorhome: Hymer 572
Base Vehicle: FORD TRANSIT 2009
Subject:

· 
Posted: 17.01.2020  ·  #12
Ah right. got ya now. Yeah, some people will always just see us as those kind of people.

Liked by: Ally

The Rambler
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 17.01.2020  ·  #13
Quote by Ally

At how some English folk always post that stolen vans will be on their way to Ireland.

So is it the perception from these posts that Irish people are doing this? Or is it suggested that criminal gangs in general are behind this, and Ireland being a nearby country is an obvious route to shift these dodgy vans?

Eyore
Love's the Craic
My Motorhome: Homebuilt Campervan.
Base Vehicle: Citroen Relay
Subject:

· 
Posted: 17.01.2020  ·  #14
Quote by panda

These are known as Brexiteers who want to recreate and live in the distant past when England was at the centre of an Empire. English nationalism is a dangerous movement, that is about to break up the UK and lead to even more anti foreigner sentiment.

Liked by: Ally, panda

Ally
Founder
Subject:

· 
Posted: 17.01.2020  ·  #15
Quote by The Rambler

So is it the perception from these posts that Irish people are doing this? Or is it suggested that criminal gangs in general are behind this, and Ireland being a nearby country is an obvious route to shift these dodgy vans?

From what I am picking up they are assuming it is Irish people stealing these vans and bringing them back to Ireland. Maybe with an invisibility cloak or something.

I would think they are going to be broke into bits and sold off, in England.

There are three motorhomes a day being reported as stolen on Faecebook, we would of sunk by now.

Liked by: panda

Davy
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Hymer B598 PL
Base Vehicle: Fiat 130 hp multijet
Subject:

· 
Posted: 17.01.2020  ·  #16
Quote by Eyore

Quote by panda

These are known as Brexiteers who want to recreate and live in the distant past when England was at the centre of an Empire. English nationalism is a dangerous movement, that is about to break up the UK and lead to even more anti foreigner sentiment.

So I wonder what these two posts would be classed as, stereotypes, racist etc. Pot and kettle perhaps, look at the attitude of the Irish towards the English. It breaks both ways in my opinion.

Davy

The Rambler
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 17.01.2020  ·  #17
Quote by Davy

Quote by Eyore

Quote by panda

So I wonder what these two posts would be classed as, stereotypes, racist etc. Pot and kettle perhaps, look at the attitude of the Irish towards the English. It breaks both ways in my opinion.

Davy

I don’t see how pointing to the racist attitudes of a certain demographic group, is racist in itself. I would think most Irish people would be welcoming to the vast majority of friendly English people and vice-versa. And Irish people that don’t, are in a minority and have a chip on the shoulder I would think. Calling out racism is not racist.

Liked by: Eyore, panda

Ally
Founder
Subject:

· 
Posted: 17.01.2020  ·  #18
Quote by Davy

Davy

Most definitely not IMO. Both posts are calling out those who are racist, not accusing all of England as being racist.

I have never heard an Irish man say "I bet all those stolen vehicles are going to England" - I have heard Alf Garnet and those who still think what he said in the sitcom is still funny and true.

Of course every race has a joke and sometimes more sinister statements about another, but publicly making it for all to see online is a different kettle of fish.

There is a very large far right sentiment building in England and America. Brexit has caused a lot of that sentiment in England and is bringing back old hurts, it is also doing the same in NI & Ireland. Saying it out loud isn't racist or stereotypical, it's facts.
In my opinion.

Liked by: Eyore, GMAC, panda

panda
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Concerto 255
Base Vehicle: Fiat Ducato 9 spd Auto
Subject:

· 
Posted: 17.01.2020  ·  #19
I have a gtreat fondness for the vast majority of English people....My mother is English born and bred. It's the Alf Garnett type's that I would have no time for regardless of what nationality.

Liked by: Ally, Eyore

Selected quotes for multi-quoting:   0

Registered users in this topic

Currently no registered users in this section

The statistic shows who was online during the last 5 minutes. Updated every 90 seconds.