Driving the next day after a few drinks.

99Duke
Craic'er
My Motorhome: Auto Trail
Base Vehicle: 1999 Ducato 2.8d
Subject:

Driving the next day after a few drinks.

· 
Posted: 28.12.2019  ·  #1
Folk, if I may, can I bring some clarity to the mis conception of drink in the body the morning after.... a bottle of white wine will need 9 hours to work it's way free from the breathalyzer from the time you finish the last drop. A pint of stout is 2.3 units each, so 6 pints is 14 units give or take, so that's 14 hours after you finish the last pint. 1 whiskey is 1 unit, so half a bottle is 15 units, so that's 15 hours after you finish the last glass. I've heard lads thinking that the body clock starts 1 hour after you start drinking! Don't get codded, the body clock only starts when you finish the last drop, and bare in mind the units you took on board determines the length of time you need to stay away from behind the wheel the next day. Hope this info helps.

Ally
Founder
Homepage: motorhomecraic.com
My Motorhome: Lunar Roadstar 780
Base Vehicle: Fiat 2.8 JTD
Subject:

Re: Driving the next day after a few drinks.

· 
Posted: 28.12.2019  ·  #2
I carry a breathalyser "just to be sure"

Liked by: 99Duke, Micklad

baguette
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Rapido 963F
Base Vehicle: Ducato 2.8 JTD Power
Subject:

· 
Posted: 28.12.2019  ·  #3
Quote by 99Duke

Folk, if I may, can I bring some clarity to the mis conception of drink in the body the morning after.... a bottle of white wine will need 9 hours to work it's way free from the breathalyzer from the time you finish the last drop. A pint of stout is 2.3 units each, so 6 pints is 14 units give or take, so that's 14 hours after you finish the last pint. 1 whiskey is 1 unit, so half a bottle is 15 units, so that's 15 hours after you finish the last glass. I've heard lads thinking that the body clock starts 1 hour after you start drinking! Don't get codded, the body clock only starts when you finish the last drop, and bare in mind the units you took on board determines the length of time you need to stay away from behind the wheel the next day. Hope this info helps.

CLICK HERE for a very useful calculator and note that the time taken to get back to zero Blood Alcohol Count (BAC) starts from the first drink, not the last.

Our current legal limit of 50 mg of alcohol per 100 ml of blood = a BAC of 0.05%
For professional, learner and novice drivers it's 20 mg of alcohol per 100 ml of blood = a BAC of 0.02%

Liked by: 99Duke, Ally, johnnymac

Ally
Founder
Homepage: motorhomecraic.com
My Motorhome: Lunar Roadstar 780
Base Vehicle: Fiat 2.8 JTD
Subject:

· 
Posted: 28.12.2019  ·  #4
Quote by baguette

For professional, learner and novice drivers

What about for professional drinkers? 😂🤔

eirebus
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Dethleffs Advantage
Base Vehicle: Fiat 2.3
Subject:

· 
Posted: 28.12.2019  ·  #5
Quote by Ally

Quote by baguette

For professional, learner and novice drivers

What about for professional drinkers? 😂🤔

They're fine, they can't afford to drive 😄

Liked by: Ally, panda

The Rambler
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle: Vauxhall Movano 2.5 CDTI
Subject:

· 
Posted: 29.12.2019  ·  #6
Quote by baguette

Our current legal limit of 50 mg of alcohol per 100 ml of blood = a BAC of 0.05%
For professional, learner and novice drivers it's 20 mg of alcohol per 100 ml of blood = a BAC of 0.02%

And the limit of 20 mg shall apply if you cannot produce your license on the spot.

TommyS
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: EuraMobil
Base Vehicle: Fiat
Subject:

· 
Posted: 29.12.2019  ·  #7
Good information but you also need to consider body weight,mass etc as everyone process differently. The breathalyser is good but only a guide. Companies used to call me in to do spot checks for drugs and alcohol and the device needed calibrated on a regular basis to be accurate. I think common sense is best.

Liked by: 99Duke, Ally

99Duke
Craic'er
My Motorhome: Auto Trail
Base Vehicle: 1999 Ducato 2.8d
Subject:

· 
Posted: 30.12.2019  ·  #8
Some good info there. I tried a live test using the calculator from Baguette's post, and using the International Brewers and Distillers rule of thumb to allow an hour per unit once finished drinking, and used an analyser from Halfords. Here's the results with all methods.
Started drinking at 7pm Saturday night and stopped at 11pm. I drank 4 pints of Guinness and 2 whiskeys. = 11 units in total in the 4 hours.
Calculator says I need 10 hours to return to BAC, so I'd be safe at 9am next morning. I registered 0.31 on the analyser at 9am.
IBD rule of thumb suggests 11 hours to return to BAC, so that's 10am next morning. I registered 0.20 on the analyser at 10am.
I registered 0 at 11:30am on Sunday morning.
TommyS gives good advice....common sense is best, once you know there's driving to be done the next day.
Happy New Year to you all, and hope to meet you on the roads throughout the coming year.

hillton9
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Rollerteam t-line 740
Base Vehicle: Fiat muiltijet
Subject:

· 
Posted: 30.12.2019  ·  #9
We carry a breathalyser as well and never move of until is says safe I test myself every hour and when it says safe I give it an extra hour just in case

Selected quotes for multi-quoting:   0

Registered users in this topic

Currently no registered users in this section

The statistic shows who was online during the last 5 minutes. Updated every 90 seconds.