ntg
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Autotrail
Base Vehicle: Comanche
Subject:

How manufactures rip us off

· 
Posted: 18.12.2019  ·  #1
Just recently we purchased another Komatsu track digger for our business and as the general condition was like new there were just a few small items that i wanted to correct.
The main one being the rubber on the cab door,there were 3 of the plastic clips broke that attached it to the door,i went to the main dealer in Belfast to purchase these.
The storeman told me that these did not come as a seperate item and that i would have to purchase the entire rubber seal,he gave me a price of £240 plus vat so i told him not to be ordering it for me as i would try something else.
I came home and went onto good old ebay and after some searches i narrowed it down to three types and thought that i would try these one at a time,so purchased the first pack of 12 for the price of £3 and hey presto they were perfect .
Job now done and still 9no spare ones.
At least Dick Turpin wore a mask.

panda
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Concerto 255
Base Vehicle: Fiat Ducato 9 spd Auto
Subject:

Re: How manufactures rip us off

· 
Posted: 18.12.2019  ·  #2
Spot on Norman :up: I would be inclined to tell the dealer about your 3 quid fix also :-)

Liked by: Ally, Chevy g20, eirebus

ntg
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 18.12.2019  ·  #3
Quote by panda

Spot on Norman :up: I would be inclined to tell the dealer about your 3 quid fix also :-)

You bet John :up: they will know next time i am up there and i will take the spares with me to show to them.

Liked by: Ally, Chevy g20, eirebus, panda, +deleted user

Ally
Founder
Homepage: motorhomecraic.com
My Motorhome: Lunar Roadstar 780
Base Vehicle: Fiat 2.8 JTD
Subject:

· 
Posted: 19.12.2019  ·  #4
It's incredible, think how much they got away with it before we had the internet, search engines, shared internet knowledge
🤔

Liked by: Chevy g20, eirebus, ntg

<BM>
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Rimor Superbrig
Base Vehicle: Ford Transit
Subject:

· 
Posted: 19.12.2019  ·  #5
It's swings and roundabouts with customer service on these things. I can remember enquiries about a little clip that the sun visor clips in and out of when picking up another part one day, they didn't have it in stock but ordered it in for me. When I went to collect it, the guy looked at the price on the screen, laughed and said that's not worth printing an invoice for so he didn't charge me anything. It really comes down to who you are dealing with on a given day.

baguette
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Rapido 963F
Base Vehicle: Ducato 2.8 JTD Power
Subject:

· 
Posted: 19.12.2019  ·  #6
A couple of years ago needed a replacement high brake light, the price from the main dealer was in the region of €120, I got one from a lighting supplier for about €65. This is the unit CLICK

Liked by: Chevy g20

Craic Addict
My Motorhome: Autoroller 746
Base Vehicle: Fiat Ducato X290
Subject:

· 
Posted: 20.12.2019  ·  #7
Just had 2 x rear car tyres fitted for £552 :D . They are runflats and with a choice of two manufacturers and the risk of it being February before the next back order arrives it had to be done.

ntg
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 20.12.2019  ·  #8
Quote by 2424

Just had 2 x rear car tyres fitted for £552 :D . They are runflats and with a choice of two manufacturers and the risk of it being February before the next back order arrives it had to be done.

Allan as well as runflats do they last forever? At that price they would need to.

Craic Addict
Subject:

· 
Posted: 21.12.2019  ·  #9

Allan as well as runflats do they last forever? At that price they would need to.

First set lasted 23,000 miles - not bad considering it has the weight of the plug-in batteries in the corners!

eirebus
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Dethleffs Advantage
Base Vehicle: Fiat 2.3
Subject:

· 
Posted: 21.12.2019  ·  #10
Quote by 2424

Just had 2 x rear car tyres fitted for £552 :D . They are runflats

2x continental contact 6 tyres are about €200 why do you need to pay the extra 352 for run flats, I have a bank of batteries under back seat and get about 30,000 out of back tyres

<BM>
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Rimor Superbrig
Base Vehicle: Ford Transit
Subject:

· 
Posted: 21.12.2019  ·  #11
Louise had a Renault Scenic with an unusual tyre size most commonly seen as runflats on BMW 3series and anytime I enquired about tyres in that size, you could hear the glee in their voice as they asked if they were run flats.

These days I order my tyres online and have them fitted by a mobile tyre fitter who comes to my work.

My last CVRT failed day one for damage to one of the valve stems and my tyre fitter happened to be in the car park at work when I got back after the test after I'd recommended him to a colleague so I got that sorted on the spot.

Happy to recommend him to anyone in south Dublin / North Wicklow, PM me for details.

Craic Addict
Subject:

· 
Posted: 23.12.2019  ·  #12

2x continental contact 6 tyres are about €200 why do you need to pay the extra 352 for run flats, I have a bank of batteries under back seat and get about 30,000 out of back tyres

Sounds as though your bank of batteries are on a different set up to mine. Michelin Primacy 3 275/35/19 Zero Pressure (runflat) with no spare or inflation kit provided and the usual threat of "sensor calibration issues and warranty" with a non-approved tyre :-). I've had a puncture and wouldn't have known it without the Tire Pressure Warning system and speed warning coming on but no need to stop.

Liked by: eirebus

Selected quotes for multi-quoting:   0

Registered users in this topic

Currently no registered users in this section

The statistic shows who was online during the last 5 minutes. Updated every 90 seconds.