sootyrex
Love's the Craic
My Motorhome: Elddis
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

Killed my batteries..... again

· 
Posted: 18.11.2019  ·  #1
Last January, during a frosty period, we were in Westport, with the heat full on, watching TV etc. During the early hours, the lights dimmed, battery was 11. 5 V I think. After that they would not hold the charge. So installed new batteries in April. Did not use the van much over the summer, noticed one day that the % was very low again. Just with van sitting out the back, not connected to power etc. Added Solar Panel in July and was super happy with it. With the morning Sun, we would be fully charged again by 11am. This weekend we were in Kilkenny. It’s pretty cold. Batteries were 100% on arrival, down to 35% the next morning. Solar took that back up to 60% during the day, but by 7pm we were down to 25% and I plugged in to power. Drove home yesterday. 100% on arrival home. Decided to let the lights and tv run for a few hours to see. It was down to 45% after 3 hours. So I think batteries are screwed again. I don’t have a current reading on the Elldis panel, only voltage. Has anyone installed a current meter ? I think something unknown is draining the power ...

Mark&Wendy
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Roller team 707
Base Vehicle: 2016 Ducato
Subject:

Re: Killed my batteries..... again

· 
Posted: 18.11.2019  ·  #2
Be surprised if the batteries only lasted for 6 months. Did you run the heating during the night. Might be that the solar just wasn’t enough to bring them back to full charge during the first day. Try plugging the van in, charge the batteries overnight and try your experiment again. If they are still goosed, take them back.

Liked by: Ally, sootyrex

sootyrex
Love's the Craic
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 18.11.2019  ·  #3
Thanks Mark, will try that today

br

Mike

Ally
Founder
Homepage: motorhomecraic.com
My Motorhome: Lunar Roadstar 780
Base Vehicle: Fiat 2.8 JTD
Subject:

· 
Posted: 18.11.2019  ·  #4
They may of looked 100% when you got home but if you had of let them settle I doubt they would of been. Does an alternator fully charge leisure batteries? I don't think it does.

Liked by: eirebus, sootyrex, us2

us2
Craic'er
My Motorhome: , Laika ecovip
Base Vehicle: Fiat Ducato
Subject:

· 
Posted: 18.11.2019  ·  #5
You should leave batteries a day to settle after a run home, then take a reading. Batteries are performing well enough. Fully charge at home on a charger, then take a trip as previously advised. Take a reading the next morning. Best of luck.

Liked by: Ally, eirebus, sootyrex, us2

denbo
Craic'er
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 20.11.2019  ·  #6
I had exactly the same problem with my batteries it turned out that on the setting for the solar panel app
It was set to 24 volt not 12 volt which consequently fried my batteries

Liked by: Ally

sootyrex
Love's the Craic
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 23.11.2019  ·  #7
Quote by us2

You should leave batteries a day to settle after a run home, then take a reading. Batteries are performing well enough. Fully charge at home on a charger, then take a trip as previously advised. Take a reading the next morning. Best of luck.

Thanks ALL for the excellent advice. I was ready to order another set of batteries. So, as advised I plugged into the mains and charged for 2 days.

Then left few lights and the heating on.

After 24 hours, I was only down to 80%
After another 12 hours down to 60%
And even in this bad weather, the solar took it back up to nearly 70%
I was at 50% after 2 days and then I stopped the test

I had not realized that driving the van would not adequately charge.

Next test will be Anagassan Pier for the Christmas Opera night in the Glyde Inn

Which is less about opera and more about Xmas carols

And there are a few power points on the pier also, just in case.

Thanks all

Mike

Liked by: Ally, JJF, Mark&Wendy, maz, panda

Ally
Founder
Subject:

· 
Posted: 23.11.2019  ·  #8
Good to hear 👍

I say nothing, although I am about to, when people say they keep their batteries charged by starting their engine and having a short drive.

From my very very limited knowledge on charging, battery tech and usage it takes a lot longer than folk realise to get batteries back to a full 100% charge, this time of year between 200 watt of solar and the alternator we do ok. But I still plug in for 2-3 days when I can.

eirebus
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Dethleffs Advantage
Base Vehicle: Fiat 2.3
Subject:

· 
Posted: 23.11.2019  ·  #9
And there are a few power points on the pier also, just in case.

I don't think you should use these without permission, it's not free someone is paying

sootyrex
Love's the Craic
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 23.11.2019  ·  #10
I think you can go to one of the houses at the pier and pay. I have not needed it anytime, but I remember I read that it’s possible somewhere. I wish it was possible at Westport Harbour. They have it there for the boats in dry dock. In fact I noticed one guy living on his boat there :)

hodbod
Rik n Bon
My Motorhome: Self build
Base Vehicle: Citroen Relay
Subject:

· 
Posted: 24.11.2019  ·  #11
Forget the tv , go to the pub . Your batteries will stayed charged longer . This is just my personal experience lol

Liked by: eirebus, panda, sootyrex

sootyrex
Love's the Craic
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 24.11.2019  ·  #12
Ha ha :)

We are going to the pub :)

But need to keep the new pup warm :)

Liked by: johnnymac

baguette
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Rapido 963F
Base Vehicle: Ducato 2.8 JTD Power
Subject:

· 
Posted: 24.11.2019  ·  #13
I have One Of These it's a great bit of kit, really effective when the sun doesn't shine, a short drive can bring the batteries back to fully charged

Liked by: sootyrex

eirebus
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Dethleffs Advantage
Base Vehicle: Fiat 2.3
Subject:

· 
Posted: 24.11.2019  ·  #14
That's a good bit of kit alright, expensive but it can be brought from van to van so not really expensive

Liked by: baguette

Ally
Founder
Subject:

· 
Posted: 10.12.2019  ·  #15
Quote by baguette

I have One Of These it's a great bit of kit, really effective when the sun doesn't shine, a short drive can bring the batteries back to fully charged

What about one of these ? a lot cheaper, I wonder how good they are compared to your one.

baguette
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 10.12.2019  ·  #16
Quote by Motorhome Craic

Quote by baguette

What about one of these ? a lot cheaper, I wonder how could they are compared to your one.

When the input is from solar the charge output is obviously dependent on what the panels are producing, but when the input is from the engine battery when the engine is running there is no indication of how many amps it produces for the leisure battery charging. The Stirling unit can charge at up to 50 amps depending on battery condition and how much is spare from the alternator.

Liked by: Ally, eirebus, sootyrex

Ally
Founder
Subject:

· 
Posted: 18.12.2019  ·  #17
Quote by baguette

When the input is from solar the charge output is obviously dependent on what the panels are producing, but when the input is from the engine battery when the engine is running there is no indication of how many amps it produces for the leisure battery charging. The Stirling unit can charge at up to 50 amps depending on battery condition and how much is spare from the alternator.

I emailed them, 30amp on both, solar or engine battery.

baguette
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 18.12.2019  ·  #18
Quote by Ally

Quote by baguette

:o I have 200w of solar and in the South of France during a couple of hours each side of mid-day in summer with clear skies they peak at about 170 watts which converts to about 12 amps, to get 30 amps you would need at least 600w of solar and a lot more at the latitude of Ireland, then, double that for our usual weather in the spring and autumn.

Liked by: panda

Ally
Founder
Subject:

· 
Posted: 18.12.2019  ·  #19
200 watts of Solar here also, I think I have seen it as high as 9 amps in Ireland. Same regulator as yours.

I asked him as my alternator was old technology would it still work...

The alternator is irrelevant to this unit, only the voltage in your engine battery is important.

There is a cut-off and cut-in voltage associated with this unit. When it senses that the engine battery is at cut-off voltage it will stop charging and when the engine battery goes above cut-in voltage it will start using the engine battery to charge the auxiliary one. Both cut-in and cut-off voltages are settable in the unit. If the engine battery is at cut-off or below then the unit will take the charge from solar and if neither are available for period of 5 minutes then it will go into hibernation to save energy and every 2 minutes it will wake up to see if any (solar/ engine battery) is available.

Liked by: panda

sootyrex
Love's the Craic
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 19.12.2019  ·  #20
Quote by baguette

Quote by Ally

Quote by baguette

:o I have 200w of solar and in the South of France during a couple of hours each side of mid-day in summer with clear skies they peak at about 170 watts which converts to about 12 amps, to get 30 amps you would need at least 600w of solar and a lot more at the latitude of Ireland, then, double that for our usual weather in the spring and autumn.

I'm interested in one of these. I had a quick look and I think it said they are suitable for lead/acid leisure batteries. I have AGM (that's what the van came with, and the new set I already added were the same, also AGM). Do you know if it works with AGM batteries. Last weekend I only managed 2 nights before we had to come home, even with a drive from Kinnegad to Galway between the 1st and second nights. I don't seem to be having much luck. I did switch everything off on the last day, including fridge / heating etc... the batteries were not draining then. So I don't have some spurious unknown drainage. It seems to be a combination of the heating (alde) and the TV, that's killing them. The lighting does not drain too much, and we don't use it so much

Ally
Founder
Subject:

· 
Posted: 19.12.2019  ·  #21
Selected quotes for multi-quoting:   0

Registered users in this topic

Currently no registered users in this section

The statistic shows who was online during the last 5 minutes. Updated every 90 seconds.