Craic'er
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

Spots on West Coast of Clare?

· 
Posted: 13.02.2013  ·  #1
Hi all.

We're heading to Co. Clare this weekend. Aiming for Spanish Point, Kilkee, Loop Head. Any spots recommended for parking for the night? Any access to a fresh water fill if needed?

Thanks.

Denis

shaysue
Love's the Craic
Subject:

Re: Spots on West Coast of Clare?

· 
Posted: 14.02.2013  ·  #2
Not very motorhome friendly there. Lots of no overnight parking signs around. Head up to Doolin. Couple of good campsites there not to mention good pubs and music.

dintymc
Craic'er
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 23.02.2013  ·  #3
Just a quick report about where we ended up in Clare.

Stayed on the south end of the bay in Kilkee near a cafe called Diamond Rocks cafe. Smashing cliff walk alongside. No problems whatsoever there. Gardai drove by about 11 pm and gave us a wave. I'd say summertime would be very different but it's fine off season.

We also stayed out by the pier in Quilty. Again no problems and the locals were very friendly. There's a lovely beach behind the pier and the village is about 2 km away. There were a few spots out towards Loop head too - near Kilbaha. Great views across the Shannon estuary to Kerry.

Shaysue is right about Spanish Point. It used to be fine but it's all barriered off and signs all over the place. Manageable during the day but forget it for overnight. Lahinch itself now has 5 dedicated camper parks in the main car park next to the beach and aquarium. There is a charge for these. Handy though if you want to have the craic in the town itself.

Overall, we found plenty of places to park up for free, it's just a case of choosing wisely.

stu8rty
Craic Addict
Homepage: belfastflyers.com
My Motorhome: Lunar champ H621
Base Vehicle: Fiat Ducato 2.8 2005
Subject:

· 
Posted: 23.02.2013  ·  #4
Sounds like a good trip away dintymc did you take any pics of where you were staying just for future reference ?

TAYLOR.
Eat's Sleep's craic
Homepage: kencarrolladaptati…
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 23.02.2013  ·  #5
Hi Dintymc.

can you stay overnight in Lahinch and how much is it, stayed several times myself,nice little town

Bob
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 23.02.2013  ·  #6
kilkee at the cafe is terrific

owner told us not to heed the no parking signs they were for the gypsies who had a big fight there a few years ago

eirebus
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Dethleffs Advantage
Base Vehicle: Fiat 2.3
Subject:

· 
Posted: 24.02.2013  ·  #7
what was the charge in lahinch is it an aire in the carpark or just parking spots

dintymc
Craic'er
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 25.02.2013  ·  #8
Hi again.

Sorry, I have no photos of the spots we stayed in but the pier area in Quilty is about 2km outside the town in a sw direction. For the cafe in Kilkee just follow the shoreline around the sw curve of the beach.

Before we went, I checked these spots and others on google maps. I use it anytime I'm heading somewhere new. I've used it loads of times before going to France, especially the street view. It's a brilliant way of pre planning your trip.

As for the charge in Lahinch, its €2 for 3 hours during the day, but friends of ours have stayed overnight and have never paid. It's really just a daytime parking rate. There doesn't seem to be any issue/charge with staying overnight. There is a parking warden on duty on weekends checking windscreens during the day.

Cheers

Denis

Selected quotes for multi-quoting:   0

Registered users in this topic

Currently no registered users in this section

The statistic shows who was online during the last 5 minutes. Updated every 90 seconds.