Ards & North Down Borough’s public car parks prohibited to Motorhomes - Donaghadee Aire closed

Donaghadee Aire Closed

Vanterrier
Subject:

Re: Ards & North Down Borough’s public car parks prohibited to Motorhomes - Donaghadee Aire closed

· 
Posted: 22.06.2019  ·  #81
Thanks for that. I was worried that it was off limits.
I will surely enjoy our second tour of Ireland north and south. Did WAW last year in great weather so intend to see more of the scenery this time.
Looking forward to it
Cheers
K ;)

Vanterrier
Subject:

Re: Ards & North Down Borough’s public car parks prohibited to Motorhomes - Donaghadee Aire closed

· 
Posted: 03.07.2019  ·  #82
Was there last night ... alone! ... nice and quiet no problems but could see sign next to service points stating no overnighting...
K ;)

Ally
Founder
Homepage: motorhomecraic.com
My Motorhome: Lunar Roadstar 780
Base Vehicle: Fiat 2.8 JTD
Subject:

· 
Posted: 03.07.2019  ·  #83
:up:

petie
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 06.12.2019  ·  #84
Any recent updates for this Aire ?

Ally
Founder
Subject:

· 
Posted: 06.12.2019  ·  #85
Quote by petie

Use away at it.

I posted an update from the latest court case. No decision was made as the judge is waiting on the outcome of the Caravan Act being updated.

Liked by: PaulH

petie
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 06.12.2019  ·  #86
Thank's for that,must give it a visit :up:

Liked by: Ally, eirebus

ntg
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Autotrail
Base Vehicle: Comanche
Subject:

· 
Posted: 06.12.2019  ·  #87
Quote by petie

It would appear that it is business as usual.

Liked by: petie

PaulH
Paid up member.
Homepage: thespaceplace.info
My Motorhome: Thor Axis on LPG.
Base Vehicle: Ford E350 v10.
Subject:

· 
Posted: 06.12.2019  ·  #88
I live just down the road and see it being used every weekend, seems to be no problem at all.

Liked by: ntg

Thornwood
Craic Addict
My Motorhome: Burstner Harmony Line 700
Base Vehicle: Fiat Ducato
Subject:

· 
Posted: 07.03.2020  ·  #89
jacktherev
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Adria Vision
Base Vehicle: Renault
Subject:

· 
Posted: 07.03.2020  ·  #90
Quote by Thornwood

Decided to try Donaghadee for a night or two. A dozen vans here last night. Great place to stay.

Need to go down some week end and go to Pier 36 as we love it. Do they still give MC members a 10% Discount?

Thornwood
Craic Addict
Subject:

· 
Posted: 13.06.2020  ·  #91
Are there any covid restrictions to stop me going to Donaghadee for a night or two.

ntg
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 13.06.2020  ·  #92
Quote by Thornwood

Are there any covid restrictions to stop me going to Donaghadee for a night or two.

I cannot see why that would be a problem,if it is alright for a lot of hooligans to roam around the country protesting on behalf of a career criminal why is it not alright for someone to take themselves to a secluded carpark in their motorhome?

Liked by: big D, JettaJohn, panda, PaulH, richhill, roadrunner, +deleted user

MerlinTheMotorhome
merlinthemotorhome
My Motorhome: Compass Avantgarde
Base Vehicle: Peugeot
Subject:

· 
Posted: 14.06.2020  ·  #93
I have to go up to Bangor to pick up a couple of Bikes off the in-laws, and I have to take the MH as it's got the bike rack. So I was thinking of driving around the coast road and through Donaghadee (Do we park in that Commons car park Donaghadee, or the other part with the boat yard?) and past the The former Prison Service training college in Millisle. So we'll see how that goes!

Does anyone know if the old (NIPS) training college building is still standing? would love to see it again, spent many a summer camping in it.

ntg
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 14.06.2020  ·  #94
The Aires is at the commons car park although some people do use the old bus park but that is in a more built up area.

Thornwood
Craic Addict
Subject:

· 
Posted: 14.06.2020  ·  #95
The training centre in Millisle was still there last October but all closed up .Let us know if the commons is open in Donaghadee

joeflo
Love's the Craic
Base Vehicle: Fiat
Subject:

· 
Posted: 15.06.2020  ·  #96
Hi the training center and houses in the complex have been sold to a developer. Some of the houses have been sold and some now lived in. A new sign has gone up in commons stating we can’t use the Motorhome for habitation purposes. Good for a stop for lunch though.

MerlinTheMotorhome
merlinthemotorhome
My Motorhome: Compass Avantgarde
Base Vehicle: Peugeot
Subject:

· 
Posted: 15.06.2020  ·  #97
Thanks for the info, Going to do it Friday/Saturday as it seems they might be the best days weather wise.

We've a bit of rain coming in.

Jimster
My Motorhome: chausson
Base Vehicle: ford
Subject:

· 
Posted: 17.06.2020  ·  #98
Hi, checked with Ards council today, environmental health department confirmed no overnight parking at the commons. Mentioned enforcement team??
I know that it is a longer drive, but does anyone know what the score is at Cloughey. Big car park there.

Davy
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Hymer B598 PL
Base Vehicle: Fiat 130 hp multijet
Subject:

· 
Posted: 17.06.2020  ·  #99
Theoretically Cloughey has the same bylaws as any N.Down and Ards car park. It is one of the car parks that the council has been considering as a potential Aire (non serviced).
My recommendation at the time of consultation was to create some spaces at the southern end, near the toilets. This is opposite the golf club, whereas the Northern end is overlooked by houses.
The situation in N. Down is, I suspect still stalled. I had intended to potentially pursue the council and MLAs after Stormont restarted but the pandemic has put that on the long finger.
I suspect Donaghadee could become an issue again this summer if people stay home and holiday local.
It was pointed out to me some time back that you are unlikely to see an enforcement officer outside of 9 to 5. On any council car park, so you must make your own mind up.
There is also the large carpark at Millisle where the play park and slipway are. These were also being considered for overnight parking as was the car park near the harbour at Ballywalter.

Davy

Liked by: GMAC, joeflo

Ally
Founder
Subject:

· 
Posted: 17.06.2020  ·  #100
My calendar doesn't say the 26th yet.

Liked by: big D

Subject:

Donaghadee Aire

· 
Posted: 12.01.2021  ·  #101
I had several discussions with Rosemary Richardson of Ards Council Tourism pre Christmas 2020, about Motorhome facilities across the Borough in general, and Donaghadee in particular. Especially following their Car Park Strategy Consultation that closed on 17th December 2020, and section 4.10 related to Motorhome facilities, and the Councils willingness to provide better facilities.
I had said that it was a pity that when they were resurfacing the large car park in Cloughy , over the summer time, the Council had not marked out some Motorhome parking bays, down by the toilet, and a Chemical Disposal Point could have been tied into the sewage system.
Rosemary said, the Golf club and residents opposite would be very objective to this idea. She also mentioned there was a small car park with a water tap, as you come into Cloughey from Portavogie.

As for Donaghadee Aire, There is an Ards and North Down Borough Council sign on a post behind the EHU terminal, which states "This car park is prohibited from use as a caravan site. No Caravan, motor caravan or any other vehicle may be used for human habitation at anytime."

This goes completely against the Definition of a Caravan or any other motor vehicle adapted for Human habitation - use for sleeping, cooking, eating - as set out in the old Caravan Acts of the 1960s, (which are still applicable today).

Setting out tables, chairs and BBQs , a tent is deemed 'Camping', Motorhomes are self contained united for sleeping, cooking, eating in, with their own facilities on board.

I believe the Council were going to update their 'Bye-laws' to reflect/strengthen this notice. ( anytime I have been at The Commons Car Park I have yet to see any Bye-laws on display).

We all want to come out of this pandemic, and we all need to help our economy recover, that includes Motorhome owners travelling around our country, visiting towns and villages and spending £s in the local shops, bars and restaurants. (to do this we need dedicated Motorhome Service Points, Stop over locations, (Like Ardglass Marina), not within the confines of a Caravan site, which usually has a 7 night minimum).

NB: No Motorhome parking bays were included in the enlarged Parking area at Cairn Wood, but good to see they thought of disabled drivers, and a new toilet block added, with an outside tap.

Liked by: joeflo, Mark&Wendy, panda

Selected quotes for multi-quoting:   0

Registered users in this topic

Currently no registered users in this section

The statistic shows who was online during the last 5 minutes. Updated every 90 seconds.