Homepage: motorhomecraic.com
My Motorhome: Lunar Roadstar 780
Base Vehicle: Fiat 2.8 JTD
Subject:

Scotland Tourist Tax

· 
Posted: 29.11.2019  ·  #1
Scotland consults on TOURIST TAX

The Scottish government is consulting on plans to introduce a tourist tax to enable local authorities in Scotland to apply a visitor levy on short-term overnight stays

The move is in response to growing numbers of visitors, with over 1.2m more overseas visitors to Scotland last year compared to 2011.

There has been significant growth in both overnight and day visitors in specific parts of Scotland, such as Edinburgh and some parts of the Highlands, which is putting pressure on the local environment and on activities that maintain and enhance the tourist experience.

Kate Forbes, minister for public finance and digital economy, said: ‘Creating a discretionary power to enable local authorities to apply a levy on visitors is a means of allowing local authorities to respond to local circumstances more effectively whilst also allowing local tourism offers to be enhanced.

‘To give local authorities this power and create a new local tax requires an Act of the Scottish parliament. This consultation paper therefore seeks views on a broad proposition of enabling local authorities to choose to apply a levy on visitors staying overnight.’

Liked by: Garry

eirebus
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Dethleffs Advantage
Base Vehicle: Fiat 2.3
Subject:

Re: Scotland Tourist Tax

· 
Posted: 29.11.2019  ·  #2
Sounds like they've been talking to the French local authorities, who in fairness do put the money back into the local area enhancement, not wasted as it would be here

Liked by: Ally

JMAC
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 29.11.2019  ·  #3
Portugal have introduced it as well.

Galldar
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Paddy the Pilote Galaxy 78MX
Base Vehicle: Citroen 2.5TD
Subject:

· 
Posted: 29.11.2019  ·  #4
Are all these extra tourists not spending money while there? You'd think the local economy would be booming.

Ally
Founder
Subject:

· 
Posted: 05.12.2019  ·  #5
ntg
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Autotrail
Base Vehicle: Comanche
Subject:

· 
Posted: 05.12.2019  ·  #6
My view on this is that anyone using public facilities should be prepared to pay,anyone staying out in the wild and using their own facilities should be free to do so.

Liked by: benen, Chevy g20, eirebus, panda, sprinter, +deleted user

Albert the Talbot
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Pilote Galaxy 92
Base Vehicle: Sprinter
Subject:

· 
Posted: 05.12.2019  ·  #7
Well I’ll be damned, they want us to pay to come and see their rainswept wasteland. Tell Jimmy Cranky to shove it where the sun doesn’t shine! I worked in Scotland a few years back and have no desire to return m

Liked by: Eyore, witzend

witzend
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 05.12.2019  ·  #8
Well who can

Liked by: Eyore

Eyore
Love's the Craic
My Motorhome: Homebuilt Campervan.
Base Vehicle: Citroen Relay
Subject:

· 
Posted: 06.12.2019  ·  #9
Thats a dangerous precedent.

Ally
Founder
Subject:

· 
Posted: 06.12.2019  ·  #10
I don't think it's a new thing. Those who visit the continent will advise I'm sure.

ROBANDSUE
Nidge
My Motorhome: Hymer 572
Base Vehicle: FORD TRANSIT 2009
Subject:

· 
Posted: 06.12.2019  ·  #11
In most places on the continent there is a tax of some kind, be it a tourist tax or called something else.

Liked by: Ally, rebbyvid

Davy
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Hymer B598 PL
Base Vehicle: Fiat 130 hp multijet
Subject:

· 
Posted: 06.12.2019  ·  #12
You will certainly pay a tourist tax of around 50c in France. It applies to campsites and pay aires, but many villages away from the ‘hot spots’ have free aires. These of course can be shared resources used by cars etc. Obviously no levy is made, nor can it be applied to wildcamping spots. Wild camping is seen as a right in France which I reckon would be defended strongly if government tried to stop it.

The last sentence is the important one in this post, since whilst Scotland has a right of access and freedom to camp in law, it is more suseptable to being interfered with by councils and lobby groups trying to control or ban camping. You only have to look at the situation at Loch Lomond and the developing storms on the north coast 500 particularly some of the islands.

Look also at places like Venice which are over run with tourists, you cannot but sympathise with residents whose lives are badly disrupted at times, especially when they see large cruise ships dock for a day, dump thousands of tourists who wander the sights and contribute little to the economy and depart by 5pm. It is imperative that we be seen as contributing to local business. Something which we as a forum always bang on about (quite rightly). I always point in casual conversation in shops etc that we are visiting in a Motorhome. PR is a Biggy. Look at the politicians in election mode. They never miss an opportunity to spread their views wether true, exaggerated or a bit of a white lie. Be a politician for the Motorhome party.

Sadly there is no proper lobby group for motorhoming so we are always fighting a rearguard action.

Davy

Ally
Founder
Subject:

· 
Posted: 06.12.2019  ·  #13
Quote by Davy

Sadly there is no proper lobby group for motorhoming so we are always fighting a rearguard action.

Davy

The Forum of Motorhome Clubs of Ireland? I'll let @baguette answer that one.

I'm certainly up for creating an official lobby group along with others from here, after all this is the biggest presence of Motorhomers on the internet. But I think this needs discussed away from public view so that we can all be on the same page from day one.

Motorhomecraic can be the official website for campaigning. I was heading that direction with....

Let's take this elsewhere. 👍

Liked by: CHAUSSON, eirebus, ntg

baguette
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Rapido 963F
Base Vehicle: Ducato 2.8 JTD Power
Subject:

· 
Posted: 07.12.2019  ·  #14
Quote by Motorhome Craic

Quote by Davy

Davy

The Forum of Motorhome Clubs of Ireland? I'll let @baguette answer that one.

I'm certainly up for creating an official lobby group along with others from here, after all this is the biggest presence of Motorhomers on the internet. But I think this needs discussed away from public view so that we can all be on the same page from day one.

Motorhomecraic can be the official website for campaigning. I was heading that direction with....

Let's take this elsewhere. 👍

Well, I've tried. I Spent six years banging my head against the RSA on various issues including the lack of the C1(97) licence. The FMCI was set up as a group of clubs to present one strong voice but never got beyond a mild whisper and now seems to have contracted laryngitis.
Pretty much all of the successes relating to Motorhome Parking Areas (Aires), in the South, is down to just one club, more or less.
At present, I can list a half dozen issues we are being screwed over by the RSA but nobody seems overly interested in creating a united front to take them on. It's unbelievable that the RSA consider motorhome to be in the same category as goods vehicles.
For a good laugh CLICK HERE :o

Liked by: Ally, CHAUSSON

eirebus
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Dethleffs Advantage
Base Vehicle: Fiat 2.3
Subject:

· 
Posted: 07.12.2019  ·  #15
I think from reading that, they make up laws and regulations, their incompetence leads to private campervans going through commercial van tests as the nct centres can't handle motorhomes, ie we pay for their incompetence

sprinter
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Matilda 2 Pilote 703FP Explorateur
Base Vehicle: 3ltr 318 Sprinter Automatic
Subject:

.Scotland Tourist Tax

· 
Posted: 07.12.2019  ·  #16
They obviously don't follow any of that I have 7 plastic windows and the test center couldn't give fiddlers. One Guy told me they don't care what's inside they basically concern themselves with the base vehicle/ the lighting and that all the doors open and close.

Selected quotes for multi-quoting:   0

Registered users in this topic

Currently no registered users in this section

The statistic shows who was online during the last 5 minutes. Updated every 90 seconds.