hillton9
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Rollerteam t-line 740
Base Vehicle: Fiat muiltijet
Subject:

Lessure batt

· 
Posted: 28.11.2019  ·  #1
Was out having a good rummage round our new Motorhome was checking out the leisure batt notice it was very warm don’t think that’s right going to get a new one today ,question am I right in thinking the batt is done

witzend
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

Re: Lessure batt

· 
Posted: 28.11.2019  ·  #2
Was it receiving

Liked by: eirebus

baguette
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Rapido 963F
Base Vehicle: Ducato 2.8 JTD Power
Subject:

· 
Posted: 28.11.2019  ·  #3
Definitely banjaxed, disconnect it immediately and get a new one. One marked Deep Cycle is best avoid starting batteries and dual purpose starting/leisure ones. Many do called Leisure Batteries are also crap.

Liked by: eirebus

Mark&Wendy
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Roller team 707
Base Vehicle: 2016 Ducato
Subject:

· 
Posted: 28.11.2019  ·  #4
Do you know if it’s the original Varta AGM battery. Mine only lasted 2 years.

eirebus
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Dethleffs Advantage
Base Vehicle: Fiat 2.3
Subject:

· 
Posted: 28.11.2019  ·  #5
Quote by Mark&Wendy

Do you know if it’s the original Varta AGM battery. Mine only lasted 2 years.

Baguette is talking about Deep Cycle batteries not AGM, 2 different types of battery, AGM batteries are not really suitable for MH as most charging systems are not capable of charging them properly, I only got 2 Yr 6 months out of mine and have replaced them with lead acid, much cheaper too

Eyore
Love's the Craic
My Motorhome: Homebuilt Campervan.
Base Vehicle: Citroen Relay
Subject:

· 
Posted: 28.11.2019  ·  #6
Agree totally with Eirebus, stick with good quality lead acid such as Varta which come with warranty and you will get a few years out of them.. Cost wise they may not last quite as long,re more economical than so called dual cycle or leisure bateries.

hillton9
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 28.11.2019  ·  #7
Yep mark it was a Varta it’s out now and a new one fitted many thanks all for the reply’s 👍

Liked by: Mark&Wendy

Mark&Wendy
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Roller team 707
Base Vehicle: 2016 Ducato
Subject:

· 
Posted: 28.11.2019  ·  #8
Quote by hillton9

Yep mark it was a Varta it’s out now and a new one fitted many thanks all for the reply’s 👍

Just curious. What did you go for and where did you get it. I’ll probably need to change again next year.

hillton9
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 28.11.2019  ·  #9
Went to halfords in Downpatrick we have a discount card plus our sons mate works in it so we get very good discount

baguette
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 28.11.2019  ·  #10
Quote by hillton9

Went to halfords in Downpatrick we have a discount card plus our sons mate works in it so we get very good discount

I have a big problem with Halford's batteries. They sell three different leisure batteries of varying capability but give no indication of how they should perform.
They have an 80 cycle one, a 200 cycle one and a 400 cycle AGM one, but they do not quote the DOD (Depth of Discharge) the cycle figure relates to. Without relevant DOD figures, the quoted life cycles are meaningless.
Therefore they really are pigs in a poke.

See the specifications HERE, with this brand you really know what you are getting for your money.

CHAUSSON
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Knaus Sport Ti 700 UFB Silverline
Base Vehicle: Renault Master 150 dci Quickshift
Subject:

· 
Posted: 28.11.2019  ·  #11
Quote by baguette

Quote by hillton9

I have a big problem with Halford's batteries. They sell three different leisure batteries of varying capability but give no indication of how they should perform.
They have an 80 cycle one, a 200 cycle one and a 400 cycle AGM one, but they do not quote the DOD (Depth of Discharge) the cycle figure relates to. Without relevant DOD figures, the quoted life cycles are meaningless.
Therefore they really are pigs in a poke.

See the specifications HERE, with this brand you really know what you are getting for your money.

I don't know much about Batteries Colin, but in their defence they have a no quibble warranty. The first Halford battery I bought was for our previous Motorhome and it only lasted less than 1 year, I couldn't find the receipt but chanced taking it back to the Limerick shop where I bought it. without question the sales man lobbed another up on the counter and gave me a further 2 year guarantee with it. I never had a problem this new battery and it went with the Motorhome when we sold it Two years later. I also bought a smaller Leisure Battery from them for a Solar electric fence that I have in an out Farm and it is still operating five years later

Liked by: panda

Daffysparks

Subject:

· 
Posted: 28.11.2019  ·  #12
I suppose, just because it doesn’t give all the information the discerning purchaser might require, doesn’t necessarily mean that it’s inferior

Liked by: panda

panda
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Concerto 255
Base Vehicle: Fiat Ducato 9 spd Auto
Subject:

· 
Posted: 28.11.2019  ·  #13
I have 2 Halfords Batteries a year now with no issues....Maybe not the best battery in the world but great value.

Liked by: Garry, JJF

Davy
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Hymer B598 PL
Base Vehicle: Fiat 130 hp multijet
Subject:

· 
Posted: 28.11.2019  ·  #14
Some of the Halfords batteries are widely believed to be Yuasa batteries rebadged. Not seen this confirmed anywhere but quite likely. Yuasa seem to get a good name and many on other forums are happy with the Halfords ‘version’ especially the no quibble guarantee which they seem to offer.

Davy

Liked by: JJF, panda

Daffysparks

Subject:

· 
Posted: 28.11.2019  ·  #15
I have yuasa’s fitted after the monbat’s failed. So far so good the real monbat. Not the fake monbatt

JJF
Eat's Sleep's craic
Homepage: MotorhomeCraic.com
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 29.11.2019  ·  #16
When I got the van I fitted 160 watt solar and mppt controller.
I researched batteries and decided lead acid wet cells.
I bought 2x Halfords HLB700 100aH class B batteries and fitted them in parallel.
I would consider us as being heavy users, van used a lot and lots of off grid use. TV and Sattelite system and various electrical equipment. I have a power monitor fitted via a shunt (ebay Chinese job) that I use to watch state of charge, drain, aH usage etc and all lights are LED. Those batteries are now into their fifth year and still good, albeit not as good as they were but still fully serviceable and going strong. Very rarely is the EHU charger switched on.
No doubt the solar setup, not discharging dramatically and watching the state of play helps but I can’t fault the Halfords batteries.

Mucker
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 29.11.2019  ·  #17
Same here with the original factory installed Varta LA95 lasting 2 years. When I installed the new battery I did notice that the charger was on the wrong setting for this type of battery, was set for Pb charging instead of AGM.

big D
Love's the Craic
Homepage: bairdsoundsystems.…
My Motorhome: Auto-Trail Cheyenne 660
Base Vehicle: Fiat Ducato 130 Multijet
Subject:

· 
Posted: 01.12.2019  ·  #18
Hi Folks , ive been having a bit of trouble lately with leisure batteries failing after 1 night away. I have 2 x 110ah platinum( from go outdoors) they are three years old now so decided to remove them today and put on a home charger. The second battery went on charge first reading was 12.1v on inital connection and has now jumped to 14.2 over a 3 hour period. I have an inverter connected to the plus & negative connections of the first battery and also solar ( 2 x 100w panels) mppt controler connected to plus & negative on the first battery also . Now on further investigation im lead to believe that the inverter and possibly also the solar should be connected to the positive connection on battery one and negative connection on battery two. Can anyone clear this up for me? lols!. Im guessig when i connect the first battery to my home charger its going to read around 9v ( Goosed!!!) as its had the main load the whole time. Each battery has its on loom fed from the charger ( not piggy backed of each other.( phew...) Cheers

<BM>
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Rimor Superbrig
Base Vehicle: Ford Transit
Subject:

· 
Posted: 01.12.2019  ·  #19
I doubt your home charger will even start to charge a battery if its reading 9v, safety circuits and all that. To get round this, you can attach a jumper pack while you switch on the charger so that it's within the required voltage range to start charging, once its started charging, you can remove the jumper pack. The battery has likely permanently lost capacity if it has been discharged that low, but if you get it charged back up, you can test that.

On the other hand, even though the optimum way of connecting batteries in parallel is bridging the two positive terminals and bridging the two negative terminals and attaching the positive load to the positive of one and the negative load to the negative of the other, once the terminals are bridged, the resistance of the bridges will be very low so the batteries won't be too far out of sync if they're identical batteries and have been working in tandem since new.

baguette
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 01.12.2019  ·  #20
Quote by big D

Hi Folks , ive been having a bit of trouble lately with leisure batteries failing after 1 night away. I have 2 x 110ah platinum( from go outdoors) they are three years old now so decided to remove them today and put on a home charger. The second battery went on charge first reading was 12.1v on inital connection and has now jumped to 14.2 over a 3 hour period. I have an inverter connected to the plus & negative connections of the first battery and also solar ( 2 x 100w panels) mppt controler connected to plus & negative on the first battery also . Now on further investigation im lead to believe that the inverter and possibly also the solar should be connected to the positive connection on battery one and negative connection on battery two. Can anyone clear this up for me? lols!. Im guessig when i connect the first battery to my home charger its going to read around 9v ( Goosed!!!) as its had the main load the whole time. Each battery has its on loom fed from the charger ( not piggy backed of each other.( phew...) Cheers

https://caravanchronicles.com/…-parallel/

Liked by: Ally, eirebus

big D
Love's the Craic
Homepage: bairdsoundsystems.…
My Motorhome: Auto-Trail Cheyenne 660
Base Vehicle: Fiat Ducato 130 Multijet
Subject:

· 
Posted: 03.12.2019  ·  #21
Thanks for the info folks, will update in due course.
D

Liked by: Ally

Blag
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: 1980 Coachmen Leprechaun
Base Vehicle: GMC G35 Vandura. 6.7 Litre Chevy V8
Subject:

· 
Posted: 05.12.2019  ·  #22
Quote by baguette

I have a big problem with Halford's batteries. They sell three different leisure batteries of varying capability but give no indication of how they should perform. They have an 80 cycle one, a 200 cycle one and a 400 cycle AGM one, but they do not quote the DOD (Depth of Discharge) the cycle figure relates to. Without relevant DOD figures, the quoted life cycles are meaningless. Therefore they really are pigs in a poke.
Quote by Davy
Some of the Halfords batteries are widely believed to be Yuasa batteries rebadged. Not seen this confirmed anywhere but quite likely. Yuasa seem to get a good name and many on other forums are happy with the Halfords ‘version’ especially the no quibble guarantee which they seem to offer.
Davy

Curiosity got the better of me so I sent a quick message to their helpline. I asked if they could confirm the DOD for the leisure batteries they were offering... Here is their reply:

Still no data of course. I haven't contacted Yuasa yet.

Liked by: Ally, JettaJohn

Ally
Founder
Homepage: motorhomecraic.com
My Motorhome: Lunar Roadstar 780
Base Vehicle: Fiat 2.8 JTD
Subject:

· 
Posted: 05.12.2019  ·  #23
Could they not of lifted the phone and asked their supplier Yuasa? :-/

How bad is that, we can't find the information, we know how to get it but we can't be arsed, here are the details if you want to do it yourself.

ROBANDSUE
Nidge
My Motorhome: Hymer 572
Base Vehicle: FORD TRANSIT 2009
Subject:

· 
Posted: 05.12.2019  ·  #24
Pity Cam didnt take the bull by horns and ring them himself for the information, and then he would know for future reference .

Liked by: CHAUSSON

Blag
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: 1980 Coachmen Leprechaun
Base Vehicle: GMC G35 Vandura. 6.7 Litre Chevy V8
Subject:

· 
Posted: 05.12.2019  ·  #25
Quote by Motorhome Craic

That's what I thought too. Pretty useless response.
So I call Yuasa, what then... Without a manufacturer's part number, Yuasa won't have a clue what I am talking about!

davetherave
Love's the Craic
My Motorhome: Compass Avantgarde
Base Vehicle: Peugeot Boxer
Subject:

· 
Posted: 05.12.2019  ·  #26
Quote by Blag

Quote by Motorhome Craic

That's what I thought too. Pretty useless response.
So I call Yuasa, what then... Without a manufacturer's part number, Yuasa won't have a clue what I am talking about!

I think if Yuasa didn’t put that critical information on the side of the battery in the first place they will know exactly what you are talking about😁

Selected quotes for multi-quoting:   0

Registered users in this topic

Currently no registered users in this section

The statistic shows who was online during the last 5 minutes. Updated every 90 seconds.