baguette
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Rapido 963F
Base Vehicle: Ducato 2.8 JTD Power
Subject:

Driving Licence

· 
Posted: 27.11.2019  ·  #1
Listening to a recent Camping Crew podcast there was a bit of a discussion about driving licences versus vehicle GVW.
The lads seemed a bit unclear about the issue as they got different opinions from different people in The RSA and NDLS, which is not surprising as I've found these people often don't know the legislation behind the regulations they are supposed to implement.
So here's the real deal.

The category B licence covers motorhomes up to and including 3,500kg GVW (Gross Vehicle Weight) also referred to as GVM (Gross Vehicle Mass) or MPTLM (Maximum Technically Permissible Laden Mass)
They all mean the same thing, it's the maximum weight the vehicle can be legally operated at and is stamped on the VIN (Vehicle Identification Number) plate, which is usually found under the bonnet or sometimes on the front LHS seat box.

Driving a motorhome with a plated GVW exceeding 3,500kg requires a Category C or C1 licence and driving such a vehicle without the necessary licence could invalidate your insurance and leave you open to prosecution for driving a vehicle without a licence.
Having just a Category B licence and driving a vehicle with a plated GVW not exceeding 3,500kg but actually loaded to a weight in excess of 3,500kg does not expose you to the charge of driving without a licence charge.
However, you could get of fixed penalty notice of 1 penalty point and a €200 fine for operating a vehicle in excess of it plated GVW. If the level of overloading is deemed dangerous it could affect your insurance because you could be charged with the more serious offence of operating a vehicle in a dangerous condition.
In most European countries there is a tolerance of 5% before a fixed penalty notice is issued.

Also, if you do have a C or C1 licence and drive a vehicle with a plated weight of 3,500kg or less and it's overload to a higher weight the C1 or C licence is irrelevant, you could still get the fixed penalty notice for operating the vehicle in excess of its plated weight.

Davy
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Hymer B598 PL
Base Vehicle: Fiat 130 hp multijet
Subject:

Re: Driving Licence

· 
Posted: 27.11.2019  ·  #2
Absolutely in line with my understanding of the laws. Good informative post. Worth putting up as an information item on the website.

Davy

Liked by: eirebus, sprinter

mad max
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 27.11.2019  ·  #3
Well explained Colin,

Thank you for the clear explanation 👍🏻

Ally
Founder
Homepage: motorhomecraic.com
My Motorhome: Lunar Roadstar 780
Base Vehicle: Fiat 2.8 JTD
Subject:

· 
Posted: 27.11.2019  ·  #4
Colin,

Can I move this to a public section?

jackman
Craic'er
Subject:

· 
Posted: 11.12.2019  ·  #5
Do you need a CPC done for the c1 licence or is that just for driving the 7.5 tonne trucks for a living ? I reckon you dont but i dont know for definite and would like to know. I have the C1 and E+C1 which allows me to drive with the trailer up to 12000 kgs.

mad max
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 11.12.2019  ·  #6
jackman
Craic'er
Subject:

· 
Posted: 11.12.2019  ·  #7
I thought that i might but i didn't know for definite. Thanks for that.

Liked by: Ally, mad max

scotgard
Craic'er
My Motorhome: Adria Twin
Base Vehicle: Fiat Ducato Maxi
Subject:

· 
Posted: 12.12.2019  ·  #8
Those who have a C1 on their licence need to remember that as well as an eyesight test you require a medical as well to retain the C1. I suspect some drivers allowed their C1 to lapse as they had not completed a medical, not thinking that a time might come when they might buy a camper in excess of 3500kgs GVW.

Liked by: Ally, baguette, JettaJohn, Thorn123, +deleted user

baguette
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Rapido 963F
Base Vehicle: Ducato 2.8 JTD Power
Subject:

· 
Posted: 15.12.2019  ·  #9
Quote by scotgard

Those who have a C1 on their licence need to remember that as well as an eyesight test you require a medical as well to retain the C1. I suspect some drivers allowed their C1 to lapse as they had not completed a medical, not thinking that a time might come when they might buy a camper in excess of 3500kgs GVW.

If it's gone off the licence, but for not more than 10 years, you can get it put back on without having to do the test.

Liked by: Ally, Chevy g20, eirebus, ntg

Daffysparks

Subject:

· 
Posted: 15.12.2019  ·  #10
Oh right vi thought it was 5 years. Interesting

Davy
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Hymer B598 PL
Base Vehicle: Fiat 130 hp multijet
Subject:

· 
Posted: 15.12.2019  ·  #11
A word of caution for drivers in the North. There have been lots of cases of people renewing licences and losing categories for no apparent reason. Minibus and motorcycle spring to mind. When people have asked for the categories to be reinstated, they have been told that no records of past licence details are held and no reinstatement can occur.
Always photocopy your old licence before sending it to Coleraine.

Davy

ntg
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Autotrail
Base Vehicle: Comanche
Subject:

· 
Posted: 15.12.2019  ·  #12
Quote by Davy

A word of caution for drivers in the North. There have been lots of cases of people renewing licences and losing categories for no apparent reason. Minibus and motorcycle spring to mind. When people have asked for the categories to be reinstated, they have been told that no records of past licence details are held and no reinstatement can occur.
Always photocopy your old licence before sending it to Coleraine.

Davy

Good advice Davy, I always photocopy mine before sending for renewal.

Ally
Founder
Homepage: motorhomecraic.com
My Motorhome: Lunar Roadstar 780
Base Vehicle: Fiat 2.8 JTD
Subject:

· 
Posted: 15.12.2019  ·  #13
I've heard of a few losing categories the same way right enough.

Liked by: big LIam

Selected quotes for multi-quoting:   0

Registered users in this topic

Currently no registered users in this section

The statistic shows who was online during the last 5 minutes. Updated every 90 seconds.