Damp test issues found with no external sign of dampness.

Bunny
Craic'er
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

Damp test issues found with no external sign of dampness.

· 
Posted: 20.11.2019  ·  #1
Our motor home has a garage with a transverse bed over it at the rear. On the recent habitation check the found dampness in the corners of the garage on the meter. There are no signs of dampness in the garage. When I removed one of the screws from the external panel joint seam, it was clearly rusted. My question is how best to proceed, should I redo the external seams on the rear wall. The motor home is an 2005 McLouise that we have had for 4 years and hope to have for a few years to come.

Liked by: hastings

Ally
Founder
Homepage: motorhomecraic.com
My Motorhome: Lunar Roadstar 780
Base Vehicle: Fiat 2.8 JTD
Subject:

Re: Damp test issues found with no external sign of dampness.

· 
Posted: 21.11.2019  ·  #2
It's been discussed many times. Garages seem to suffer a lot with condensation. Our three motorhomes with garages all did it.

I never got around to trying this so not sure whether it would of worked or not but if it was a house I'd of vented it.

I was going to put one of the vents that are usually seen on motorhomes, the smallest one I could get and cut a hole in the door and fit it.

All three with garages that we owned had rusty screws and brackets in the garage.

Liked by: Chevy g20, eirebus, panda

Ally
Founder
Homepage: motorhomecraic.com
My Motorhome: Lunar Roadstar 780
Base Vehicle: Fiat 2.8 JTD
Subject:

· 
Posted: 21.11.2019  ·  #3
P.s. why did the manufacturer not put vents in the garage?

Because they are built without a care in the world it seems.

I've built hundreds of houses, surly the same concepts can be passed over. Condensation is only cured by two things, heat and air.

Liked by: eirebus

nilrac
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 21.11.2019  ·  #4
Reading your damp problem it may be that the garage has got a wall that is warm on one side and the other side being the outside is cold thus giving like for example a cistern in a bathroom in winter displaying a moisture on surface. this is why there is no sign of water ingress. Air flow is vital as Ally has said so ventilators would help. A water snake (or similar products) would also help, this can be seen on Amazon, its like a draft excluder for a door except it is filled with an absorbent material which you can take indoors and dry and replace. A dehumidifier when parked up would be another option

Liked by: Ally, CHAUSSON, sprinter

Bunny
Craic'er
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 25.11.2019  ·  #5
Thanks for the feedback.

Selected quotes for multi-quoting:   0

Registered users in this topic

Currently no registered users in this section

The statistic shows who was online during the last 5 minutes. Updated every 90 seconds.