Blag
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: 1980 Coachmen Leprechaun
Base Vehicle: GMC G35 Vandura. 6.7 Litre Chevy V8
Subject:

Multiple batteries - different locations

· 
Posted: 04.11.2019  ·  #1
What's the disadvantage of having your leisure batteries in different locations? I know the rule of thumb is to keep all cable runs short and all batteries close together, but what if you don't have the space?

My battery locker only has enough room for one large battery. Probably 100-115Ah will be all I can get in there. But last night, I was clearing out a locker at the rear offside corner of our camper where a large generator would be fitted and the penny dropped. Good location to fit another battery?
There is even a very heavy gauge wire already there for a generator starter motor, which is already connected to the leisure battery. I recon the cable length is 15ft.
If I were to fit another leisure battery in this locker, what would be the downside to running the leisure batteries in parallel? Would it damage the batteries?

Ally
Founder
Homepage: motorhomecraic.com
My Motorhome: Lunar Roadstar 780
Base Vehicle: Fiat 2.8 JTD
Subject:

Re: Multiple batteries - different locations

· 
Posted: 04.11.2019  ·  #2
I can't answer technically but that is what I sort of have. Our two leisure batteries are supposed to be either side of the engine bay, it was only ever wired for one. I have three LFD90's so I ran two thick cables back from the main wiring and one leisure battery and connected the other two on the same side of the camper under a seat, practically touching each other. This run would be roughly the same as it would of been from one side of the engine bay to the other (a class), a bit longer but not much.

We have great results from our batteries so unaware of any affect it is having.

Liked by: Blag

baguette
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Rapido 963F
Base Vehicle: Ducato 2.8 JTD Power
Subject:

· 
Posted: 04.11.2019  ·  #3
Mark&Wendy
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Roller team 707
Base Vehicle: 2016 Ducato
Subject:

· 
Posted: 04.11.2019  ·  #4
Why not put both batteries in the locker. As if I know what I’m talking about. 🙄

Liked by: Blag, CHAUSSON

Blag
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: 1980 Coachmen Leprechaun
Base Vehicle: GMC G35 Vandura. 6.7 Litre Chevy V8
Subject:

· 
Posted: 04.11.2019  ·  #5
Quote by Mark&Wendy

Why not put both batteries in the locker. As if I know what I’m talking about. 🙄

Yep, that's a possibility too.

Liked by: Mark&Wendy, sprinter

sprinter
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Matilda 2 Pilote 703FP Explorateur
Base Vehicle: 3ltr 318 Sprinter Automatic
Subject:

Multiple batteries - different locations

· 
Posted: 04.11.2019  ·  #6
all you really need to do is add a second cable the same length, even if you put the two batteries in the same compartment or not.and then add a new feed to your 12volt mains supply board

Liked by: Blag

Daffysparks

Subject:

· 
Posted: 04.11.2019  ·  #7
What Baguette posted IS the correct way to do it. If it was a short distance, I myself wouldn’t get too hung up on that, but for a cable run of 15 foot I definitely would be doing my best to balance it out as per the diagram. That is a long cable run. It will work, but your battery life will be reduced. Also make sure cables are large enough. If you have heavy load, eg inverter, air con. You will need up to 50 square mm cables

Selected quotes for multi-quoting:   0

Registered users in this topic

Currently no registered users in this section

The statistic shows who was online during the last 5 minutes. Updated every 90 seconds.