Rear wall (water?) Trouble.

Paint blowing out

btm
Subject:

Rear wall (water?) Trouble.

· 
Posted: 15.10.2019  ·  #1
Hi all, as the saying goes "long time listener, first time caller"...but from all the technical posts you have here, I can't think anywhere better to ask.

Bought a 2011 Swift Escape at the beginning of 2019 and all going well. There were a few very small holes in the roof which were caused by algae which was not cleaned off and I cleaned it fully (by hand with a dish sponge) and filled all the holes.

Since doing that however, the paint has recently started blowing out on the back wall. Photos attached.

I don't know if it's because water got in and now it cannot escape anywhere but through the paint because I have effectively blocked the ventilation escape by filling the roof but it has come on very quickly in the last 2 months or so, when the weather has not been 'that' bad.

Any assistance or suggestions greatly appreciated. I have a few ideas which I'll post below.

Thank you for reading and any help or discussion you can bring.

Bryan.
You must be logged in or your permissions are to low to see this Attachment(s).

Blag
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: 1980 Coachmen Leprechaun
Base Vehicle: GMC G35 Vandura. 6.7 Litre Chevy V8
Subject:

Re: Rear wall (water?) Trouble.

· 
Posted: 15.10.2019  ·  #2
Have you tried popping one of the blisters to see what's behind it?

Water or powder?

hillton9
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Rollerteam t-line 740
Base Vehicle: Fiat muiltijet
Subject:

· 
Posted: 15.10.2019  ·  #3
I would. Do the same pop one and take it from there, did these just appear ,when you press around the blisters does it feel spongy of so water has got in

eirebus
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Dethleffs Advantage
Base Vehicle: Fiat 2.3
Subject:

· 
Posted: 15.10.2019  ·  #4
Did you buy it from a dealer, if so bring it back and see what they say

Craic Addict
My Motorhome: Autoroller 746
Base Vehicle: Fiat Ducato X290
Subject:

· 
Posted: 15.10.2019  ·  #5
It looks like the bike rack has had sealant applied at the top and could have been a source of water ingress. Does the back wall of the camper feel damp (spongy) on the inside?

Do you know if the back wall has been painted at any stage - is there a noticeable paint line at the edges were the sides join up as sometimes paint if poorly applied (cold conditions) can allow moisture to build up on the inside and "gass out" in cold weather if the bodywork is fibre glass.

I am a bit surprised that a 2011 Swift Escape would have small holes in the roof caused by algae. Some aluminium coachbuild motorhomes (some Elddis models) have had issues with aluminium corrosion (powder like) caused by moisture build up on the inside.

Has the motorhome been habitation checked recently? If bought from a dealer I would be straight back. In any event I would be taking it to be checked out.

btm
Subject:

· 
Posted: 16.10.2019  ·  #6
Hi folks,

Sincere thanks for all the replies.

I don't think the back wall is spongy, and that was part of why I was trying to figure out what's happening.

I'll pop another bubble and let you know the results, from memory when I did one a few weeks ago it was dry inside (No water) but possibly a bit of powder. I'll let you know again.

I sealed the top part of the bike rack again last week or so (ugly job I know, but I wanted to over egg that particular puddding) just to make sure nothing getting in there. There were some small holes in that I think.

I'm going to 're seal the bottom part of the carrier too, but should I seal it and leave the heat on for a week or two to dry it out?

No damp or issues on the inside.

Thanks folks.

B.

btm
Subject:

· 
Posted: 16.10.2019  ·  #7
Hi all,

Sincerest thanks for your replies.

From memory the bubbles are dry inside, I popped one a few weeks ago, but I'll do another and confirm.

The back wall is not spongy at all, and that's why I can't follow. Even around the bulges is quite firm, but I don't know how the walls are constructed and it seems there's a layer of sheet metal of whatever sort so I'm not sure if that's what is firm and the wood behind is wet, but no give in it.

It hasn't particularly been painted in spots, but it may have all been repainted as I think there was a minor bang resulting in some filler so perhaps all the back was painted.

Likewise it's all firm and dry on the inside too.

I didn't get it from a dealer, so I'll be looking after the repair myself I'm afraid.

I resealed the upper parts of the bike rack myself last week or so, I think there was potential for a bit of water ingress there. I'll be doing the bottle too. The inner metal brackets of the bike rack are a bit rushed too. So thought that might have been part of the problem.

If that was the cause, will I need to replace the wall 😭😱

Or can I just seal the holes and leave the electric heater on for a few weeks to dry it out and try save it from getting worse.

If the blisters are dry, can I just get it sanded or painted?

Not sure where to go with it really...

Thanks all

B.

hillton9
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Rollerteam t-line 740
Base Vehicle: Fiat muiltijet
Subject:

· 
Posted: 16.10.2019  ·  #8
If you can get to the bolts that hold the bike rack on I would remove the bike rack clean around where the holes are your saying you can see rust on the bolts I would change them to stainless if you can sand the blisters down and try respraying if you can get a paint match ,seems to me that someone has painted it before

btm
Subject:

· 
Posted: 16.10.2019  ·  #9
Perfect, Thanks a mil Hillton09, I was just worried that it was a much more serious structural issue. And i understand you're not saying it isn't obviously.

I'll pop the blisters, let you know what's there, and start to chip away from the surrounds to investigate.

I'll pull off the bike rack completely too and refit with the same holes but will everything stainless.

Thanks for all the input.

By the by, has anybody ever used the building materials Tec7 to glue or seal Motorhomes? That's what I've been using because I have some spare from some DIY. I have bought a non-setting bedding sealant but thought the Tec7 might be as good.

Thanks all.
B

eirebus
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 16.10.2019  ·  #10
I use Tec 7 all the time great stuff

TommyS
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: EuraMobil
Base Vehicle: Fiat
Subject:

· 
Posted: 16.10.2019  ·  #11
I use Sikaflex. I think it is the choice of repair guys

Blag
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: 1980 Coachmen Leprechaun
Base Vehicle: GMC G35 Vandura. 6.7 Litre Chevy V8
Subject:

· 
Posted: 16.10.2019  ·  #12
Is the bike-rack bolted to something solid other than the wall? like a backing plate or solid frame?

I wonder if theres much flexing going on when it's loaded with bikes?

I'd say you're spot on with the rack being the point of ingress. But, I'd worry that the aluminium sheeting on the wall has started to "rust" from the inside causing pinholes behind the paint and the blisters. Permanently fixing that without going into the wall might be a bit of a challenge.

The only experience I can relate this to is a similar problem I had with a caravan years ago. I sanded it back and re-painted it, but only got a year before the bubbles returned. A leaking window and one exposed iron bolt lower down in the wall caused an anodic reaction with the wet aluminium skin and a small section started to corrode from inside the wall.

In my case it was a small area so, I repaired the window leak, cut a hole in the wall where the corrosion was and fitted an access hatch in that place. I was lucky it was in the perfect location behind a locker.

btm
Subject:

· 
Posted: 26.10.2019  ·  #13
Thanks for the replies. I finally managed to get a bit of time to explore the problem...

And I found this. Definitely the bike rack. The bolts may have been too small allowing the water in.

It also seems like it was never sealed properly.

Also looks like the backing plates were much too small and one was tightened too much that it went through the wall into the polystyrene in the middle. I think a bigger backing plate would have assisted. Here are the photos of the horrors....I have just duck taped them up to stop it getting worse.

How or who can I talk to about getting it fixed. And body shop recommendations? I'm worried I will have to take out half the back wall.
You must be logged in or your permissions are to low to see this Attachment(s).

Daffysparks

Subject:

· 
Posted: 26.10.2019  ·  #14
It would help to know what part of the country you are in. Then people could give you recommendations based on your location. I’d be fairly confident that a good repairs company can fix that for you. Good luck with it

btm
Subject:

· 
Posted: 26.10.2019  ·  #15
Thanks a mil, I hope so. Be interesting to see how much the have to remove/reinstate.

I'm based near the airport in North Dublin.

Ally
Founder
Homepage: motorhomecraic.com
My Motorhome: Lunar Roadstar 780
Base Vehicle: Fiat 2.8 JTD
Subject:

· 
Posted: 26.10.2019  ·  #16
Bike racks are notorious for doing damage. Some people load them up with too much weight and of course that causes problems. If you don't need it, remove it and investigate.

eirebus
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 26.10.2019  ·  #17
Maynooth motorhomes are the nearest repair people to you

ntg
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Autotrail
Base Vehicle: Comanche
Subject:

· 
Posted: 26.10.2019  ·  #18
Personally I never liked the idea of a bikerack on the back wall,just think of the weight of 3bikes bouncing up and down and only anchored at 4points.
That is a sure remedy for trouble.

Bounder
Craic Addict
My Motorhome: 2015 Adria 640 SHX
Base Vehicle: Ducato X250 2.3
Subject:

· 
Posted: 27.10.2019  ·  #19
The 4 bike ones were discontinued because of the damage they did. Since when is a batten and light Alu sheet or fiberglass a structural part? I never liked the wall mount bike carriers for that reason

Gavster
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: LMC Liberty 630R (LHD)
Base Vehicle: Fiat Ducato 2.5 TD
Subject:

· 
Posted: 27.10.2019  ·  #20
Mine has a 4 bike rack but I only ever put 2 bikes on it but one of them is a heavy electric bikes. I looked at how it is mounted yesterday after reading this thread and it seems to have rubber gaskets where it meets the outside wall.

Selected quotes for multi-quoting:   0

Registered users in this topic

Currently no registered users in this section

The statistic shows who was online during the last 5 minutes. Updated every 90 seconds.