scoffey
My Motorhome: none yet
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

VRT Guesstimate

· 
Posted: 10.10.2019  ·  #1
Hi all
Looking at a Merc 2-berth panel van in Germany. Year is 2000, mileage 150K km - anyone suggest what sort of VRT I might expect.? Local price is 17.5K
thanks

Ally
Founder
Homepage: motorhomecraic.com
My Motorhome: Lunar Roadstar 780
Base Vehicle: Fiat 2.8 JTD
Subject:

Re: VRT Guesstimate

· 
Posted: 10.10.2019  ·  #2
scoffey
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 10.10.2019  ·  #3
Thanks, yeah, been through it and Boards ie too. Just thought someone might have done a similar age van here

Ally
Founder
Homepage: motorhomecraic.com
My Motorhome: Lunar Roadstar 780
Base Vehicle: Fiat 2.8 JTD
Subject:

· 
Posted: 10.10.2019  ·  #4
I'm sure someone will be along shortly with an idea 👍

sprinter
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Matilda 2 Pilote 703FP Explorateur
Base Vehicle: 3ltr 318 Sprinter Automatic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 10.10.2019  ·  #5
Quote by scoffey

Hi all
Looking at a Merc 2-berth panel van in Germany. Year is 2000, mileage 150K km - anyone suggest what sort of VRT I might expect.? Local price is 17.5K
thanks

That's a big price to pay for a 2000 van conversion, what exactly is it, what van type sprinter /Vito.
There is a 2015 on Gumtree for that price. Ad ID: 1350303718
2015 Mercedes Sprinter Campervan
Downpatrick, County Down
3 days ago
Make Mercedes-Benz ModelSPRINTER Year 2015
Mileage 71000 miles
Seller type Private
Body type Motor Caravan
Fuel type Diesel
Transmissio Manual
Colou White
Engine size 2143 c CO2 emissions 213 g/km
Previous Keeper 1 Seats 3
Engine Power
129 bhp
Urban mpg
30.1 mpg
Extra Urban mpg
38.7 mpg
Euro Emissions
Euro 5

scoffey
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 11.10.2019  ·  #6
Daffysparks

Subject:

· 
Posted: 11.10.2019  ·  #7
Perhaps, but huge difference between 2000 van and 2015 van. I’m sure you would find something in between to suit your budget. Also take into account flying to Germany, ferry costs, dietitian drive it back etc. it does sound expensive for a conversion of that year, unless it’s a Westfalia or similar

scoffey
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 11.10.2019  ·  #8
It also comes down to the likely difference in VRT between a 2015 and a 2000 van, which is where I came in on this. Any ideas anyone?

Daffysparks

Subject:

· 
Posted: 11.10.2019  ·  #9
If you bought the one that sprinter highlighted, there would be no vrt

sprinter
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

VRT Guesstimate

· 
Posted: 11.10.2019  ·  #10
Quote by Daffysparks

If you bought the one that sprinter highlighted, there would be no vrt

David why not?

Daffysparks

Subject:

· 
Posted: 11.10.2019  ·  #11
Apologies. I thought it was on done deal, you had said. Was working from memory. Not a good idea these days. The point I suppose, is that an Irish van would have no vrt and no ferry etc to get it home

sprinter
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

VRT Guesstimate

· 
Posted: 11.10.2019  ·  #12
Quote by scoffey

It also comes down to the likely difference in VRT between a 2015 and a 2000 van, which is where I came in on this. Any ideas anyone?

I think you will be screwed that price is very high for a 2000 van here and even if you get one a lower price revenue will charge you the larger price ( the one you were willing to pay ) so I would think you will pay

€17,500.00 @13.5% = € 2,326.50 = €19,865.50.plus shipping Flights and No guarantee. then you have insurance to transport it home?

scoffey
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 11.10.2019  ·  #13
Fair enough, the market is strong in Germany. Probably because the vans are minded. Re insurance a German red-plate looks after that for a reasonable cost. If there's anyone who's actually bought in Germany recently I'd love to hear from them.

Daffysparks

Subject:

· 
Posted: 11.10.2019  ·  #14
My mate bought in Germany last year. He bought new. A mobilvetta k yacht. Got temporary plates that give you 5 days insurance to get home. You then have one month to get it registered here ( it proved quite difficult to get it insured without the Irish plates) and after that you get fined per day over. Vrt wasn’t a huge issue for him as, being brand new, he pretty well knew the value here. €19500 later he had his shiny new 181 plates 🤬

scoffey
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 11.10.2019  ·  #15
More on VRT than I have to spend on the entire venture lol.

Daffysparks

Subject:

· 
Posted: 11.10.2019  ·  #16
Indeed. Crazy money. Tbh though, I think I’d keep looking, you have a reasonable few bob, and if you are looking at conversions, I think you will get way better than 2000 for that money. Not that the year might matter for the van, but, with all these European cities bringing in environmental zones, a 2000 is euro 3 at best, some even euro 2, and that will exclude you from a lot of places, more and more going forward

sprinter
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

VRT Guesstimate

· 
Posted: 11.10.2019  ·  #17
And that 2015 is euro 5.

scoffey
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 12.10.2019  ·  #18
You on commission for that Merc, ha ha? Not sure about its bed configuration from the pix.
This will be my first camper and I'm taking my time. Want fixed bed - the bunk arrangement particularly. If I won the lottery I'd buy a Wildax Solaris - but after repeated attempts I've failed at this.
I more or less know every panel van conversion currently on-sale from here to the Polish border, lol. One of these days I might actually buy one.

sprinter
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

VRT Guesstimate

· 
Posted: 12.10.2019  ·  #19
Quote by scoffey

You on commission for that Merc, ha ha? Not sure about its bed configuration from the pix.
This will be my first camper and I'm taking my time. Want fixed bed - the bunk arrangement particularly. If I won the lottery I'd buy a Wildax Solaris - but after repeated attempts I've failed at this.
I more or less know every panel van conversion currently on-sale from here to the Polish border, lol. One of these days I might actually buy one.

I accept your " on commission " comment is said in Jest. But
The fact that I own a Merc Sprinter 02 vintage, with a body made from recycled bean tins. and Mercedes have made such a mess with their engines and bodywork in the 16 years, I would not recommend anyone buying one. will also notice that at no stage did I suggest you buy, either of then.
I actually meant to put a question mark at the end of ( And that 2015 is euro 5.) ????? with all the Scamming coming out of Germany regarding engine emission claims Id find it hard to believe that they put an engine in their vehicles at all.never mind euro5.

By all means, tell us of the next one you are looking at and we will try to put you off it also. :o :D :lol:

scoffey
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 12.10.2019  ·  #20
Lol, touched a raw nerve sorry. Guess everyone has there own cross to bear - I've had people warn me off Fiat Ducato's too which certainly narrows the field. For a newb its confusing, but I had exactly the same experience back at the dawn of the web when I was getting back into motorcycles.Everyone had their own horror story /hate brand. Problem was, that more or less covered every brand, so what can you do.
At this point, looking at campers on a screen has become my hobby - it's harmless and I won't go blind doing it. Will let you know how I fare.

hillton9
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Rollerteam t-line 740
Base Vehicle: Fiat muiltijet
Subject:

· 
Posted: 14.10.2019  ·  #21
I was looking into VRT as I wasn’t sure what it was feck what a ripoff your paying tax on a tax as far as I can make out, some civil servant sits behind a desk and tells you how much your van is worth , how would he know has he got a big f..k off book with every year make model of every vehicle in the world ,and they also put wait for this €1 for every cc a motorbike has 🤔if I have made a mistake I stand to be corrected

eirebus
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Dethleffs Advantage
Base Vehicle: Fiat 2.3
Subject:

· 
Posted: 15.10.2019  ·  #22
Not only that, it's illegal under EU rules but they just pay the fine every year 😠

TommyS
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: EuraMobil
Base Vehicle: Fiat
Subject:

· 
Posted: 15.10.2019  ·  #23
Scoffey I have has Fiat/ Citroen straight and turbo diesels cabs in 4 of my motor homes and never had an engine problem. The one I have at the minute has 68000 over 16 years, not a cough. I service it annually changing the fuel filter every time. It broke down once but it was an after market plug in tuning box. I think the SEVEL vans have the majority in the market

sprinter
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 15.10.2019  ·  #24
Quote by scoffey

Lol, touched a raw nerve sorry. Guess everyone has there own cross to bear - I've had people warn me off Fiat Ducato's too which certainly narrows the field. For a newb its confusing, but I had exactly the same experience back at the dawn of the web when I was getting back into motorcycles.Everyone had their own horror story /hate brand. Problem was, that more or less covered every brand, so what can you do.
At this point, looking at campers on a screen has become my hobby - it's harmless and I won't go blind doing it. Will let you know how I fare.

I was looking at something and hit on the best 12 campers, Of them, 7 fiat Ducato, 2 Renault Master / 1VW Crafter / 1 Mercedes Vito and 1 Toyota Proace the last two were Pop tops.
I think since about 2010 Fiat has been a favorite, before that there was a bigger variety of doner vehicles, don't be put off with the answers you get, just be warned, we would only be doing you and anyone else a disservice if we were not honest,

scoffey
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 15.10.2019  ·  #25
Not put off at all, and thanks for the input. The German Merc is now down to 1680, but it's still a fair whack for 20 year old mechanics, even if the miles are low. CS are a good conversion company by all accounts, on the other hand. Ho hum, headscratch.
Re VRT on bikes, no it's not per cc its by market value and they have a book for most breeds.

Bounder
Craic Addict
My Motorhome: 2015 Adria 640 SHX
Base Vehicle: Ducato X250 2.3
Subject:

· 
Posted: 15.10.2019  ·  #26
Bike vrt is by cc. €2 per cc up to 350cc and €1 per cc thereafter.
Fiat Ducato have 75% of the Motorhome market in Europe they are by far the most common base vehicle for converters and factory builds. In fact they produce a motorhome specific chassis cab designed for that purpose.
I have a 2015 Adria pvc on a Ducato H3L4 base and I have to say that it is a very nice drive, the Ducato advantage is the width and squareness in the back, Ford and Merc are a lot narrower, the only other van I’d consider would be a Renault Master which has similar dimensions internally.

scoffey
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 15.10.2019  ·  #27
Yah about the ole bike vrt, twas insurance I was thinking of duhh. I'm old.

Selected quotes for multi-quoting:   0

Registered users in this topic

Currently no registered users in this section

The statistic shows who was online during the last 5 minutes. Updated every 90 seconds.