tony glenn
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Rimor Europeo
Base Vehicle: Ford Transit
Subject:

Unplugged?

· 
Posted: 09.10.2019  ·  #1
Here's a strange one. Came back from Cherbourg last Sunday on the Irish Ferries 'Epsilon'. We were impressed at check-in when it was noted we had asked for plug-in on the way over (WB Yeats) and were offered it for the return journey.
Had to wait a while for the deckhand to organise a socket board (in between blowing his whistle at everybody and everything).... but eventually we had power and headed upstairs.
When it came to unplugging at Dublin, I was surprised to see our cable lying on the deck, but I assumed that whistle-man had done it for us to save time.
It wasn't until we unloaded the fridge at home in West Cork that I noticed the freezer contents stuck solid to the freezer compartment and a pool of water under the fridge door. This never happens... unless the fridge warms and then re-freezes?
Is it possible that someone needed a socket and unplugged us after we had left the deck, leaving us to de-frost and then re-freeze on the journey home?
In future, we'll make sure we're the last to leave the loading bay.
Now, where's that Interpol phone number.......

eirebus
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Dethleffs Advantage
Base Vehicle: Fiat 2.3
Subject:

Re: Unplugged?

· 
Posted: 10.10.2019  ·  #2
Was the van plugged in at all on the homeward trip???

tony glenn
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Rimor Europeo
Base Vehicle: Ford Transit
Subject:

· 
Posted: 10.10.2019  ·  #3
Yes, definitely. Whistle-man squeezed between a camper and truck with my lead, then nodded at me and walked off. My wife checked and confirmed the mains light was on, so off we went.
Because of the awkwardness of where the socket board was, I assumed he'd unplugged it as a favour, especially
as the plug end was actually on the deck, about halfway down and clearly visible.

hastings
Craic'er
Subject:

· 
Posted: 10.10.2019  ·  #4
Did you turn off your 12V (remote Electroblock isolator) before leaving the MH? We have a Dethleffs with an EBL101 and if you isolate the 12V system using the button above the habitation door, power is removed from everything except the essentials, e.g. electric step, truma frost protection, lights above entrance on the inside. The fridge doesn't operate, even if there's gas or 230Vac available.

hastings
Craic'er
Subject:

· 
Posted: 10.10.2019  ·  #5
I reckon Mr. Whistle unplugged you just before landing in Dublin in case you accidentally drove off whilst still connected. It has probably happened in the past and he's saving himself a lot of hassle looking for the Distribution Board feeding that supply (broken cable would most likely trip out RCD+MCB/RCBO).

Davy
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Hymer B598 PL
Base Vehicle: Fiat 130 hp multijet
Subject:

· 
Posted: 10.10.2019  ·  #6
I have had the same experience. Got a plug in on a trip in July and at the end of the run found my lead simply lying on the deck. As no other vans were at that stage plugged in I could not draw any positive conclusion as to wether someone had unplugged me in order to plug themselves in. We don’t normally join the mad queues to the car deck but wait 5 or 10 minutes and still have loads of time to wait, so not surprised that no other leads in evidence.
On our September trip we were last vehicle aboard, and got ehu, almost last off deck 5. No issues. Jump ahead to last week when we returned and once again I was plugged in. Did deliberately wait until the car deck was deserted before leaving for deck 10 as I also did on the return run of the July trip. There was certainly demand for power. On the socket set that I was on, one guy put a 3 way splitter and 2 other vans were able to get power. On arrival in Dublin, my van was still hooked up but the fridge/freezer was defrosting and the van behind me had defrosted as well (he was still hooked up too).
I certainly as I board double check that the fridge setting is on and set to 240 volts, so don’t know what the answer is. I doubt if it is worth complaining as ehu is not guaranteed, and Irish ferries are unusual in offering it. to be honest we are not dependant on a hook up on either leg of the trip, but I do wonder what anyone who has medical needs for a connection would do.

Davy

hastings
Craic'er
Subject:

· 
Posted: 10.10.2019  ·  #7
I read somewhere that a ship's 230Vac isn't a stable supply as the engine is essentially the 3 phase generator; the auto 3 way motorhome fridge needs a certain AC voltage to remain on before trying to operate from gas. 210Vac at least I believe.

Davy
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Hymer B598 PL
Base Vehicle: Fiat 130 hp multijet
Subject:

· 
Posted: 10.10.2019  ·  #8
Interesting reply Hastings. I can see the logic of what you are saying, all I can say is it was never an issue with Oscar Wilde. No trips planned until next year, so no chance to try again. I can’t remember wether I changed the auto switch on the fridge to 240 only.

Davy

sprinter
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Matilda 2 Pilote 703FP Explorateur
Base Vehicle: 3ltr 318 Sprinter Automatic
Subject:

Unplugged?

· 
Posted: 10.10.2019  ·  #9
There is a simple solution to knowing if your power was disconnected, it won't help if the fridge has defrosted, but it's essential if your carrying Meds, to know that it was working all the time.

Get a bog-standard timer plug, the type you use to switch on lights, etc, the timer only works when they are plugged in and powered up, so if you plug one in and set the time, you'll know if the power was off and for how long. it's also a good idea to know how long it takes for ice to melt in your fridge/freezer, therefore you can judge if you have a problem or not. Knowing is everything.

JJF
Eat's Sleep's craic
Homepage: MotorhomeCraic.com
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 10.10.2019  ·  #10
Quote by hastings

I read somewhere that a ship's 230Vac isn't a stable supply as the engine is essentially the 3 phase generator; the auto 3 way motorhome fridge needs a certain AC voltage to remain on before trying to operate from gas. 210Vac at least I believe.

The 3 phase is Star connected, R,Y,B and a Neutral, the voltages across R&Y or B&R or B&R is 415 volts. Voltages between R&N or Y&N and B&N is 220 volts. The 3 phases have 120 dog phase differences between them. So any 2 phases will give you 60hz, not the 50hz from a domestic AC supply but most single phase equipment will handle that.

hastings
Craic'er
Subject:

· 
Posted: 10.10.2019  ·  #11
Quote by JJF

Quote by hastings

The 3 phase is Star connected, R,Y,B and a Neutral, the voltages across R&Y or B&R or B&R is 415 volts. Voltages between R&N or Y&N and B&N is 220 volts. The 3 phases have 120 dog phase differences between them. So any 2 phases will give you 60hz, not the 50hz from a domestic AC supply but most single phase equipment will handle that.

Before loading up and as long as they remain (mostly) balanced!

JJF
Eat's Sleep's craic
Homepage: MotorhomeCraic.com
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 10.10.2019  ·  #12
Yes, but something like a ship that relay on power will have dummy loads to take care of that... I wouldn’t worry about unstable voltage nor even frequency.... it will have been factored into the design.
Now the generator stopping is a different issue.

Quote by hastings

Quote by JJF

Quote by hastings

Before loading up and as long as they remain (mostly) balanced!

hastings
Craic'er
Subject:

· 
Posted: 10.10.2019  ·  #13
One two occasions, once in a park in County Down and the other in France, the voltage was so low (probably from overloading on the sites) the fridge refused to automatically move to AC mains, instead staying on gas.
Since then, I don't even plug into the mains until I'm sure the voltage is sufficient.
There was only 3V/1.3% difference between this and a recently calibrated Fluke 1653:
https://www.ebay.ie/itm/Profes…2806208122

TommyS
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: EuraMobil
Base Vehicle: Fiat
Subject:

· 
Posted: 10.10.2019  ·  #14
Does anyone know when the fridge is switched to 220volts is it actually running on that or does it step down to 12 volts I have never had a problem onboard. I always leave the fridge on automatic so I assume it would switch to 12 volts if the electric went off. My fridge appears to be independent of the habitation electric switch, if that makes sense

eirebus
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Dethleffs Advantage
Base Vehicle: Fiat 2.3
Subject:

· 
Posted: 10.10.2019  ·  #15
If there's no electric,your fridge will run on gas, the 12v only kicks in when you are driving, running fridge on 12v while parked would flatten your batteries rapidly

Daffysparks

Subject:

· 
Posted: 10.10.2019  ·  #16
That’s the way it should work, but..... after getting a new fridge freezer installed, it was discovered that if I selected 12volt, even with engine off, it would work away. Apparently a glitch in the mother board, a new board was posted to me, I installed a relay operated by the d+ at the same time, to ensure no reoccurrence. To answer your question though, Tommy, your fridge has both a 12 volt and a 230 volt element, so if it’s running on 230 v that element is operational and once you start the engine then, the 12 v element comes into operation. The gas only cuts in, if neither 230 v or 12 v is unavailable. Unless, you choose manually, if course

Mark&Wendy
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Roller team 707
Base Vehicle: 2016 Ducato
Subject:

· 
Posted: 11.10.2019  ·  #17
Quote by hastings

One two occasions, once in a park in County Down and the other in France, the voltage was so low (probably from overloading on the sites) the fridge refused to automatically move to AC mains, instead staying on gas.
Since then, I don't even plug into the mains until I'm sure the voltage is sufficient.
There was only 3V/1.3% difference between this and a recently calibrated Fluke 1653:
https://www.ebay.ie/itm/Profes…2806208122

Had the same experience in a french campsite this year. Breakfast time the fridge switched to gas. Must have been a power drop due to the number of kettles and toasters going on.

Selected quotes for multi-quoting:   0

Registered users in this topic

Currently no registered users in this section

The statistic shows who was online during the last 5 minutes. Updated every 90 seconds.