Eat's Sleep's craic
Homepage: MotorhomeCraic.com
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

Re: Galway Consultation

· 
Posted: 16.09.2019  ·  #41
A few of these on the approach roads would shake them up.

Flipperdipper
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: HOBBY 600
Base Vehicle: Fiat Ducato 2.8
Subject:

· 
Posted: 16.09.2019  ·  #42
Quote by JJF

A few of these on the approach roads would shake them up.

I think it should read "Motorhomes or their money not wanted"

davetherave
Love's the Craic
My Motorhome: Compass Avantgarde
Base Vehicle: Peugeot Boxer
Subject:

· 
Posted: 16.09.2019  ·  #43
Is the issue more with the City Council rather than the County Council?

Gavster
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: LMC Liberty 630R (LHD)
Base Vehicle: Fiat Ducato 2.5 TD
Subject:

· 
Posted: 16.09.2019  ·  #44
I am just reading the digital version of this October’s MMM magazine and there is Wild Atlantic Way special based on a tour that must have happened last September/October. It mentions putting money in the parking machine and photos of the writers van parked up at the docks and how great Galway is etc - but there is a note in brackets in the article saying that parking at the docks is no longer available.

Elsewhere in the magazine folk have asked the magazine writers to make contact with councils in England who are needlessly banning motorhomes parking at all even by day in large open council car parks and the magazine has chased them up for an answer and has asked that people let them know of any others. It may alarm the magazine writers to know that having just promoted Galway that anyone following the example in the magazine will likely find the reception they get in Galway this year to be very different to experience the writer had last year..

Ally
Founder
Homepage: motorhomecraic.com
My Motorhome: Lunar Roadstar 780
Base Vehicle: Fiat 2.8 JTD
Subject:

· 
Posted: 16.09.2019  ·  #45

JJF
Eat's Sleep's craic
Homepage: MotorhomeCraic.com
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 16.09.2019  ·  #46
Quote by Flipperdipper

I think it should read "Motorhomes or their money not wanted"

Like this so.. :P

eirebus
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Dethleffs Advantage
Base Vehicle: Fiat 2.3
Subject:

· 
Posted: 16.09.2019  ·  #47
Maybe we should email that to the Council and Discover Ireland and show them it's out there it worked in Roscommon

hymer524
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Hymer 524
Base Vehicle: Fiat Ducato 2.8
Subject:

· 
Posted: 16.09.2019  ·  #48
Davy
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Hymer B598 PL
Base Vehicle: Fiat 130 hp multijet
Subject:

· 
Posted: 16.09.2019  ·  #49
Rather than aggravate the ordinary citizens of Galway by clogging up their streets with Motorhomes when many people view them with the same attitude some drivers have towards cyclists, why not......

Print up a few thousand of those picture leaflets and spend an afternoon at the Galway tourist office, handing them out to tourists going into the said office. Do the same at Galway council office and perhaps at the Irish tourist board headquarters to staff heading into work for the day.

Increase the effect by inviting the local and national radio stations along, perhaps the TV company and especially the local papers. To really get the message over it would be a good move to have a Bullet point page of the usage and income and potential spend that Cobh enjoys (with a couple of photos) a couple quotes by happy campers wouldn’t go amiss.

Davy

CHAUSSON
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Knaus Sport Ti 700 UFB Silverline
Base Vehicle: Renault Master 150 dci Quickshift
Subject:

· 
Posted: 16.09.2019  ·  #50
Davy, unfortunately If you want to make an omelette you have to break eggs, They don't give a tosser what we spend they have plenty revenue without us, But I reckon they wouldn't like negative publicity that would affect other segments of their Tourist Industry especially if it was spread across Europe. maybe if any of us that have parking apps put a few bad reviews about Galway, it would be better coming from foreign visitors and then highlight the reviews to them.

hillton9
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Rollerteam t-line 740
Base Vehicle: Fiat muiltijet
Subject:

· 
Posted: 17.09.2019  ·  #51
I’ve been looking at this ,and I think the best way around this is to send an article to the likes of mmm Motorhome mag and other Motorhome magazines stating that Motorhomes are not welcome in Galway and then send the same article to the tourist board and Galway council and see what there response is ,nothing better than negative publicity

sootyrex
Love's the Craic
My Motorhome: Elddis
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 20.09.2019  ·  #52
Hi All,

Sorry for late reply. Work was crazy all week. Here is what I did

1: Paid the fine today
2: called Galway city council this afternoon
3: I knew the conversation would already be more open etc if I had already paid it
4: gave them the story... they seemed actually a little surprised that I had been fined. But they did do a proper check. The outcome is “it is an offense to park a camper van in Cathedral Car Park over night”. It is OK to park during the day. I imagine this is where the 2 tickets idea comes from, as I am also sure they would fine you for taking up 2 spaces during the day.
5: I explained how much I and many others like Galway and how we cannot use the docks any more.
6: they did mention to me that they had complaints about salt hill, due to campers causing litter
7: I told them I am off to Kilkenny tonight where I will be met with open arms
8: I told them there is no sign in the car park saying no campers allowed
9: so if I brought it to court, probably could get out of the fine , but the next day they would surely put up signs
10: we did all our Xmas shopping last year in Galway. And i know we spent a lot. It was much better experience than trying to shop in Dublin. So i am going to check bank statements for all we spent in Galway over the past year and compile a summary
11: I plan to send that to the council and the chamber of commerce and also show them the example of what could be done ... like Cobh Aire

Any other ideas ?

It would Be a pity not to go there any more

sootyrex
Love's the Craic
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 20.09.2019  ·  #53
Quote by Davy

Rather than aggravate the ordinary citizens of Galway by clogging up their streets with Motorhomes when many people view them with the same attitude some drivers have towards cyclists, why not......

Print up a few thousand of those picture leaflets and spend an afternoon at the Galway tourist office, handing them out to tourists going into the said office. Do the same at Galway council office and perhaps at the Irish tourist board headquarters to staff heading into work for the day.

Increase the effect by inviting the local and national radio stations along, perhaps the TV company and especially the local papers. To really get the message over it would be a good move to have a Bullet point page of the usage and income and potential spend that Cobh enjoys (with a couple of photos) a couple quotes by happy campers wouldn’t go amiss.

Davy

I think we need to be very conscious of that Davy, that’s why I decided to pay the fine in advance of my call and be consultative rather than combative. When we go to any city center... Galway... Kilkenny...Derry we arrive close to midnight for 2 reasons... traffic is easier for us... but also we don’t disrupt.....

On this issue .... I saw in Navan last night a super cool restored and fun looking VW camper. painted with flower power and hippie logos. Full on high end leather inside by the way ! But really fun looking. I think if we arrive in something like that... (and are not like cheech and chong).... at council offices... and have a consult... absolutely nobody would object. It makes everyone smile etc

I guess I am going down the route of a ‘charm offensive’ rather than be combative etc.

I will write a very nice story to them, could be worth offering to make a presentation to the local chamber of commerce on the value of campers

No offense to anyone, but many are not the youngest.... in. Australia we are called the ‘grey nomads’.... and we do spend money and don’t cause trouble! Most of us seem to be in bed by 10pm etc

Ally
Founder
Subject:

· 
Posted: 20.09.2019  ·  #54
Quote by sootyrex

3: I knew the <snip>

Great correspondence, good for you. 👍

<BM>
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Rimor Superbrig
Base Vehicle: Ford Transit
Subject:

· 
Posted: 21.09.2019  ·  #55
Quote by sootyrex

Hi All,

Sorry for late reply. Work was crazy all week. Here is what I did

3: I knew the conversation would already be more open etc if I had already paid it
4: gave them the story... they seemed actually a little surprised that I had been fined. But they did do a proper check. The outcome is “it is an offense to park a camper van in Cathedral Car Park over night”. It is OK to park during the day. I imagine this is where the 2 tickets idea comes from, as I am also sure they would fine you for taking up 2 spaces during the day.
5: I explained how much I and many others like Galway and how we cannot use the docks any more.
6: they did mention to me that they had complaints about salt hill, due to campers causing litter
7: I told them I am off to Kilkenny tonight where I will be met with open arms
8: I told them there is no sign in the car park saying no campers allowed
9: so if I brought it to court, probably could get out of the fine , but the next day they would surely put up signs
10: we did all our Xmas shopping last year in Galway. And i know we spent a lot. It was much better experience than trying to shop in Dublin. So i am going to check bank statements for all we spent in Galway over the past year and compile a summary
11: I plan to send that to the council and the chamber of commerce and also show them the example of what could be done ... like Cobh Aire

Any other ideas ?

It would Be a pity not to go there any more

If there are no signs prohibiting overnight parking of motorhomes, I would appeal on that basis. I've successfully appealed a parking fine in the past on the basis of inadequate signage.

AFAIK when parked in a marked parking space, they must have an RUS018 sign specifying parking permitted with a supplimentary plate P051 specifying any limits, restrictions or exclusions. There is no other basis in law for the issuance of a parking ticket inside a marked place.

KevinGerard
My Motorhome: Self Build
Base Vehicle: Citroen Relay
Subject:

· 
Posted: 21.09.2019  ·  #56
Very disappointed to hear Sootyrex got that ticket. I’ve been regularly parking overnight in the cathedral car park over the summer and assumed it was deemed acceptable. I live in Mayo but like to stay up in galway after work the odd night. Have also used the black box car park. Now I am not sure what to do. Keep using them until I get a ticket? Is on street parking also not allowed under that bye law?

ntg
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Autotrail
Base Vehicle: Comanche
Subject:

· 
Posted: 21.09.2019  ·  #57
Until someone challenges these dinosaurs they will keep handing out these penalties.
I am aware that not everyone is up to taking on these bureaucrats but when there is someone willing to take that challenge then we must be willing to back them.
I do not have any wishes to be that person but if that happened I would take it all the way.
Stand up folks or be crushed by these power crazy morons.

<BM>
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 21.09.2019  ·  #58
Found the parking ticket appeal letter that was successful in Dungarvan (car not camper). I'll redact the personal info and post it here tomorrow, the basic points hold true if signage is inadequate.

KevinGerard
My Motorhome: Self Build
Base Vehicle: Citroen Relay
Subject:

· 
Posted: 21.09.2019  ·  #59
I would be willing to contest a ticket on the basis that there was no signage but as sootyrex made the point this would likely only have the effect of me getting off a fine and them then putting up new signage. I guess it would save the next person from a fine and get the council to ‘own’ their campervan policy.

ntg
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Autotrail
Base Vehicle: Comanche
Subject:

· 
Posted: 21.09.2019  ·  #60
Quote by KevinGerard

I would be willing to contest a ticket on the basis that there was no signage but as sootyrex made the point this would likely only have the effect of me getting off a fine and them then putting up new signage. I guess it would save the next person from a fine and get the council to ‘own’ their campervan policy.

Fair point but it is not just the case of putting up signage, these signs only hold power if they are empowered by case law.

<BM>
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 21.09.2019  ·  #61
Quote by ntg

Quote by KevinGerard

Fair point but it is not just the case of putting up signage, these signs only hold power if they are empowered by case law.

Absolutely. There's a huge element of FUD (fear, uncertainty and doubt), in what the authorities in Galway are attempting to do.
Keeping things matter of fact when challenging any tickets will win out. Even the crap about littering in Salthill is just irrelevant nonsense. I've seen plenty of pedestrians litter while walking the prom in Salthill but there arr no general restrictions being put on pedestrians.

Daffysparks

Subject:

· 
Posted: 22.09.2019  ·  #62
I’m just wondering here has it anything to do with the launch of Galway as the cultural capital, etc. maybe it’ll all quite down after that hullabaloo.
Doubt it though tbh

Ally
Founder
Subject:

· 
Posted: 22.09.2019  ·  #63
Hopefully dialogue beginning.

<BM>
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 24.09.2019  ·  #64
As promised, even if a few days late. This is the text of my successful parking ticket appeal in the instance of inadequate signage.
You must be logged in or your permissions are to low to see this Attachment(s).

sprinter
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Matilda 2 Pilote 703FP Explorateur
Base Vehicle: 3ltr 318 Sprinter Automatic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 25.09.2019  ·  #65
Bryan as an aside from yourself , did you notice, was the red car on your right ,which was obviously illegally parked ticketed?

<BM>
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 25.09.2019  ·  #66
Quote by sprinter

Bryan as an aside from yourself , did you notice, was the red car on your right ,which was obviously illegally parked ticketed?

Cars either side were ticketed but I didn't check beyond that. The important thing for anybody appealing a ticket however is that if they are parked in a marked parking bay, any restrictions on what you can or can't park there or when you can or can't park there must be on a supplementary plate under the main parking sign. Parking tickets can only be issued for breaches of these restrictions.

baguette
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Rapido 963F
Base Vehicle: Ducato 2.8 JTD Power
Subject:

· 
Posted: 26.09.2019  ·  #67
Quote by hymer524

This is the Bye-Law that is been used... Galway Parking Bye-Laws 2009 Download

That paragraph is straight from the Sanitary Services Act. The reason for the prohibition has to do with effluents, sanitation and public health.
IMHO there is no way any court could accept the paragraph being used as a reason to control parking.
It is fundamental that a requirement to control the rotation of parking spaces and control of parking in places which compromise the free and safe flow of traffic or compromise the environment (HGV's with fridge units running overnight in residential areas are an example) must be and can only be the basis for any parking bye laws.
If an authority wishes to use the paragraph mentioned by GCC then it can only be in relation to any emissions which compromise public health or the environment.

sootyrex
Love's the Craic
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 02.10.2019  ·  #68
Quote by baguette

Quote by hymer524

This is the Bye-Law that is been used... Galway Parking Bye-Laws 2009 Download

That paragraph is straight from the Sanitary Services Act. The reason for the prohibition has to do with effluents, sanitation and public health.
IMHO there is no way any court could accept the paragraph being used as a reason to control parking.
It is fundamental that a requirement to control the rotation of parking spaces and control of parking in places which compromise the free and safe flow of traffic or compromise the environment (HGV's with fridge units running overnight in residential areas are an example) must be and can only be the basis for any parking bye laws.
If an authority wishes to use the paragraph mentioned by GCC then it can only be in relation to any emissions which compromise public health or the environment.

Good job I did not park my motorbike or pedal bike !! Look at the next paragraph. Seems like Galway is very unfriendly to anything but cars . What lunacy is going on there ... they also banned most buskers....

baguette
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Rapido 963F
Base Vehicle: Ducato 2.8 JTD Power
Subject:

· 
Posted: 03.10.2019  ·  #69
It's interesting that they know about the official legal signs, being familiar with that listing they should also know that it doesn't contain any relating to motorhome (motor caravan) parking.
Any homemade or local authority made sign not included in the official listing has no legal standing, which is why Galway use (misuse) the Sanitary Services Act.

Ally
Founder
Subject:

· 
Posted: 03.10.2019  ·  #70
Please see our Twitter.. to watch video

Selected quotes for multi-quoting:   0

Registered users in this topic

Currently no registered users in this section

The statistic shows who was online during the last 5 minutes. Updated every 90 seconds.