heanorboy
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Wildax Europa
Base Vehicle: 2015 Renault Master
Subject:

What do you remember of your first ever Motorhome trip

· 
Posted: 09.09.2019  ·  #1
A long forgotten memory when me and a mate hired a tiny Thames Trader 7cwt camper van and as far as I can remember it didn't have a lifting roof, This must have been mid 60s we tried to tour Scotland and it hammered it down all the time so we came home again after 4 days of the planned 14.

David

StrandCampingDoonbeg
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: mobilvetta mh 85
Base Vehicle: Fiat
Subject:

Re: What do you remember of your first ever Motorhome trip

· 
Posted: 09.09.2019  ·  #2
I bought a Bedford CF with a pop top roof, driving along the M40 and the whole roof got blown off landed in lane 1. I got it to hard shoulder, police arrived told me to get it back on, which I did drove the rest of my journey very slow one hand holding the roof on.

Thorn123
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Chasson flash 03
Base Vehicle: Ford transit 2.2
Subject:

· 
Posted: 09.09.2019  ·  #3
Our first mh trip was one hired in New Zealand in 2005 for 4 weeks.
On day 4 just south of the 90 mile beach peninsula the alternator packed up. We had to back track about 10 kms to find a payphone to ring the hire company who sent us around to the next street for repairs.
We were back on the road in less than an hour.
2 weeks later halfway between Fox Glacier and Queenstown we pulled into a layby for a cuppa.
10 minutes later the mh won't start.
The feckin fuel filter had nearly fell off.
Luckily I was able to refit it using using vasaline lip balm to reseal the o ring.

GMAC
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 09.09.2019  ·  #4
My first motorhome memory was in a split screen VW with my parents and for the first night we parked up in O' Connell Street in Dublin. Unbelievable now to think of it but that was our first day and night. One of the other stops was enforced as night had fallen and the lights were awful. He pulled in at the side of a wall and when we woke next morning we were beside a remote graveyard which my mother wasn't to happy about. My father spotted a farm house nearby and walked to it returning with fresh eggs and milk which was still warm. The trip culminated in a stop beside the gallops on the curragh, as my father had been an apprentice jockey, to watch the horses out for there morning run. Happy day's and the inspiration for me getting a motorhome.

tony glenn
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Rimor Europeo
Base Vehicle: Ford Transit
Subject:

· 
Posted: 09.09.2019  ·  #5
Just a simple one from 2007. First trip away in our newly purchased MH, pulled in to our first ever site in Kerry. Trying to look like I knew what I was doing, I casually unwound the hook-up cable that the previous owner had supplied.
Hard to look like you know what you're doing when you disccover the cable has a white three-pin plug on the end.....

Pam Bam
Love's the Craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 10.09.2019  ·  #6
Our first trip was up to Flesk in Killarney, we didn’t have a clue what we where doing,
The man beside us in a motorhome showed us the ropes.

R&N
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Burstner Lyseo 700 TD Auto
Base Vehicle: Fiat Ducato
Subject:

· 
Posted: 10.09.2019  ·  #7
The first time I was in a camper van was in 1972 in Seattle. I was staying with relations that summer and during the week it was a utility van, but on weekend they attached the habitation part. No seat belts, we could walk around during the drive up the highway to a big lake where their other friends all had cabins and about 20 of us sat around a long table, playing something like Gin Rummy with 3 packs of cards, first time I had been to a BBQ with massive steaks, or eating takeaway pizzas and McDonalds which we still didn’t have in Ireland.

Ally
Founder
Homepage: motorhomecraic.com
My Motorhome: Lunar Roadstar 780
Base Vehicle: Fiat 2.8 JTD
Subject:

· 
Posted: 10.09.2019  ·  #8
Don't laugh too hard, it wasn't nice for SWMBO.

We hired a Motorhome in 2009, a nearly new Swift i think it was, huge thing. First time in one and we headed to Glastonbury festival. They picked us up at Bristol Airport and drove us out to the motorhome and went through everything we needed to know in ten minutes.

This goes here, that goes there, don't touch that button unless..., press this but don't press that, put that in there but not in here, water here, blue there and pink somewhere else.

Eager to get to Glastonbury and how short the instructions were they didn't really sink in.

After a day or two we needed water, I got some and then remembered (or thought I did) that I had to add stuff to it, I thought it must be to sterilise it. ( I know I know, stupid)

Anyhow all was good, we were enjoying our beer and th efestival except SWMBO didn't feel that good, she couldnt drink and said the tea tasted awful. I just thought she had a bug and so did everyone else.

I thought nothing of it until 2011 when we got our first Motorhome, it came rushing back to me like a ton of bricks, OH f**k! did I really put the pink liquid in the fresh water? well we'll neve rknow, but I have a funny feeling.

Flipperdipper
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: HOBBY 600
Base Vehicle: Fiat Ducato 2.8
Subject:

· 
Posted: 10.09.2019  ·  #9
o.O :lol: :lol: At least you were clean and fresh on the inside. :lol:

Grumpy
Love's the Craic
My Motorhome: murvi pimento
Base Vehicle: transit
Subject:

· 
Posted: 10.09.2019  ·  #10

At least you were clean and fresh on the inside.

And smell nice too!

Blag
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: 1980 Coachmen Leprechaun
Base Vehicle: GMC G35 Vandura. 6.7 Litre Chevy V8
Subject:

· 
Posted: 10.09.2019  ·  #11
My first memory was being surprised at just how noisy it was to be in a traveling motorhome! Especially the old one we started out in. Pots & pans and other things doing their jiggly thing!

I didn't expect that.

Selected quotes for multi-quoting:   0

Registered users in this topic

Currently no registered users in this section

The statistic shows who was online during the last 5 minutes. Updated every 90 seconds.