Domestic LPG cooker in MH?

Any dangers?

Tom123
Craic'er
Subject:

Domestic LPG cooker in MH?

· 
Posted: 08.09.2019  ·  #1
Just wondering if anyone has put a domestic LPG cooker in a motorhome or campervan? I have read of people doing it online without any problems but is there any extra major danger to it? There are a lot more 50cm cookers available that have all the same flame safety features but they are way cheaper than the MH cookers so I was thinking of fitting one.

Thorn123
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Chasson flash 03
Base Vehicle: Ford transit 2.2
Subject:

Re: Domestic LPG cooker in MH?

· 
Posted: 08.09.2019  ·  #2
I think that there is a difference in gas pressure used.
Domestic is 37m bar while a motorhome regulator is 30 mbar.

Ally
Founder
Homepage: motorhomecraic.com
My Motorhome: Lunar Roadstar 780
Base Vehicle: Fiat 2.8 JTD
Subject:

· 
Posted: 08.09.2019  ·  #3
Would also need to make sure it's an LPG cooker and not Natural Gas.

Can't see any reason it wouldn't work. Auto Trails have a full cooker in them, but not sure of make.

Albert the Talbot
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Pilote Galaxy 92
Base Vehicle: Sprinter
Subject:

· 
Posted: 08.09.2019  ·  #4
New cookers normally come with jets for both gases and are simple to change

mad max
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 08.09.2019  ·  #5
Gas cookers and hobs in MH all seem to have safety devices (thermo couple) built in,
Normal domestic don't have the safety feature as far as I know

Erazmus
Craic Addict
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle: Fiat Ducato
Subject:

· 
Posted: 08.09.2019  ·  #6
Quote by mad max

Gas cookers and hobs in MH all seem to have safety devices (thermo couple) built in,
Normal domestic don't have the safety feature as far as I know

All new gas appliances have to have safety gas cut outs on flame out. As far as I know this is mandatory to comply with European standards.

mad max
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 08.09.2019  ·  #7
Aah, that puts a different twist on things Pete, 👍🏻

Tom123
Craic'er
Subject:

· 
Posted: 09.09.2019  ·  #8
Thanks for the feedback. I'm a bit confused about the gas pressure. Even though it runs from the same gas cylinder it would have a different gas pressure? What effect would higher gas pressure have? More potential of carbon monoxide poisoning if all cooking applicences are turned on at the same time?

eirebus
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Dethleffs Advantage
Base Vehicle: Fiat 2.3
Subject:

· 
Posted: 09.09.2019  ·  #9
I use the same propane bottle's in the house and the van just 2 different regulators, 30 mb in the van and 37 in the house

Tom123
Craic'er
Subject:

· 
Posted: 09.09.2019  ·  #10
Oh I didnt know that, cheers. Why is it a lower pressure regulator in the van? Could I not use a 37 regulator in the MH for the cooker as well, if not running more MH gas appliances?

eirebus
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Dethleffs Advantage
Base Vehicle: Fiat 2.3
Subject:

· 
Posted: 09.09.2019  ·  #11
Quote by Tom123

Oh I didnt know that, cheers. Why is it a lower pressure regulator in the van? Could I not use a 37 regulator in the MH for the cooker as well, if not running more MH gas appliances?

Fridges and heating etc, set for this pressure

Tom123
Craic'er
Subject:

· 
Posted: 10.09.2019  ·  #12
Cheers Eirebus, so I have a bought a compressor fridge/freezer and a diesel heater for the van conversion (E.G no more gas appliances). In theory could I just have one 37 mb regulator for the cooker and that would be grand? Sorry if I'm missing something.

StephenC
Love's the Craic
My Motorhome: Vanderlust Van Conversion
Base Vehicle: Fiat Ducato X290 LWB 130
Subject:

· 
Posted: 10.09.2019  ·  #13
If your looking to do away with gas altogether have you considered getting an induction cooker, they're meant to be pretty good with a decent solar setup.

Blag
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: 1980 Coachmen Leprechaun
Base Vehicle: GMC G35 Vandura. 6.7 Litre Chevy V8
Subject:

· 
Posted: 10.09.2019  ·  #14
The motorhome cookers I've had apart tend to have parts held in place with spring clips, or have them bolted down to stop them rattling loose.
Depending on the model you choose, domestic cookers might be a bit noisier going down the road unless you get creative.

heanorboy
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Wildax Europa
Base Vehicle: 2015 Renault Master
Subject:

· 
Posted: 10.09.2019  ·  #15
Found this might help will apply to M/H as well as caravans

To try and clarify the situation for you.

Prior to 2004 all vans had cylinder mounted regulators with different pressures for Propane (37mb) and Butane (28mb).

However, either gas could be used depending on user preference and time of year using the van, propane being best suited to cold weather vanning.

In 2004 the caravan industry adopted EN1949 which standardised the pressure to appliances at 30mb through a fixed bulkhead mounted regulator in the gas locker of the van.

To change between gas, a different pigtail suitable for either Butane or Propane had to be used and takes gas at cylinder pressure to the regulator where it is reduced to 30mb.

If your van uses the old style cylinder mounted regulator with a hose to the copper inlet pipe, then the gaslight cylinder will be ok to use with the 37mb supplied regulator, just change the hose end over from the old reg to the new one and use a new stainless steel gas jubilee clip (the gas jubilee clips are smooth inside to stop chafing of the gas hose)

If your van has the fixed bulkhead regulator then you will need to source a suitable sized cylinder take off valve (the regulator supplied with the cylinder will have its size stamped on it somewhere in mm's) and a compatible pigtail to connect the cylinder to the regulator.

Due to the cylinder pressure of Propane (100psi) Jubilee clips are NOT allowed to be used to connect any part of the supply hose to the fixed regulator.

David

witzend
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 10.09.2019  ·  #16
Quote by StephenC

If your looking to do away with gas altogether have you considered getting an induction cooker, they're meant to be pretty good with a decent solar setup.

Most people with electric fridges

StephenC
Love's the Craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 10.09.2019  ·  #17
Quote by witzend

Most people with electric fridges now wish they had a gas one and a cooker will surely use much more electric power than a fridge

We have a compressor fridge in our van and have no problems with it it runs great off a 100ah battery connected to a 100W solar panel. Wouldn't see a need for a gas one. We do have a gas heater, boiler and cooker though they run off an Lpg tank. But induction cookers don't use that much power due to the way they heat. No waste heat.

Have seen a few van setups since we had ours built that have used a diesel heater/boiler then electric fridge and induction cooker with a larger solar setup. Have to say if I was to do our van over I would probably go that way looks way neater and does away with gas tanks and piping and any worry of carbon monoxide poisoning. Also less vent holes required in the van.

Blag
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: 1980 Coachmen Leprechaun
Base Vehicle: GMC G35 Vandura. 6.7 Litre Chevy V8
Subject:

· 
Posted: 10.09.2019  ·  #18
Quote by StephenC
We have a compressor fridge in our van and have no problems with it it runs great off a 100ah battery connected to a 100W solar panel. Wouldn't see a need for a gas one.

What model fridge?

StephenC
Love's the Craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 10.09.2019  ·  #19
Quote by Blag

What model fridge?

It's a Waeco CoolMatic CR-50, Not the biggest fridge on the planet but it's surprising how much you can cram in there. Never not been able to fit all our perishables in, even with a few cans in there. The added advantage of a smaller fridge is that it's usually reasonably full which means less dead air being cooled which makes it more efficient.

Selected quotes for multi-quoting:   0

Registered users in this topic

Currently no registered users in this section

The statistic shows who was online during the last 5 minutes. Updated every 90 seconds.