StephenC
Love's the Craic
My Motorhome: Vanderlust Van Conversion
Base Vehicle: Fiat Ducato X290 LWB 130
Subject:

Cabbunk?

· 
Posted: 28.02.2019  ·  #1
Has anyone ever seen, heard of or used a cabbunk bed system or similar?

We currently have a fixed double bed in the rear and a fold out double in the front for two adults and two kids. I came across this and thought it might be a great way to create a bit more space in the van at night.

May even be able to DIY something similar out of a couple of camp beds.

sprinter
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Matilda 2 Pilote 703FP Explorateur
Base Vehicle: 3ltr 318 Sprinter Automatic
Subject:

Cabbunk?

· 
Posted: 28.02.2019  ·  #2
Quote by StephenC

Has anyone ever seen, heard of or used a cabbunk bed system or similar?

We currently have a fixed double bed in the rear and a fold out double in the front for two adults and two kids. I came across this and thought it might be a great way to create a bit more space in the van at night.

May even be able to DIY something similar out of a couple of camp beds.

I have seen the hammock type one used in T5. but never seen that it does look like a great idea and a good bit of extra kit, good idea for small ones.
The only problem I could see is, if you haven't got a bed for them how will you get them there in the first place. now if you had someone come to visit you while you are away then I think it would be a great bit of kit, children will love it.

StephenC
Love's the Craic
Subject:

Re: Cabbunk?

· 
Posted: 28.02.2019  ·  #3
We have a rear bench seat with seat belts that currently folds down into a double bed with a few extra cushions.

The only problem with this is that with it down there is nowhere to sit.
Our kids are young enough at the moment that they share the fixed double bed at the back of the van so we use the seating area one but it means setting up the bed every night.

With this we could leave all the extra cushions at home and the set up looks a bit quicker.

ROBANDSUE
Nidge
My Motorhome: Hymer 572
Base Vehicle: FORD TRANSIT 2009
Subject:

· 
Posted: 28.02.2019  ·  #4
Actually that would be a great idea if you were travelling with a large dog. Somewhere for it to sleep out of the way.

petie
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 28.02.2019  ·  #5
There's a few of them for sale on ebay,in around £50. They look handy enough to set up.

Gavster
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: LMC Liberty 630R (LHD)
Base Vehicle: Fiat Ducato 2.5 TD
Subject:

· 
Posted: 28.02.2019  ·  #6
I read about something like that in MMM magazine recently. A couple with a 2 berth panel conversion used it the odd time their granddaughter travelled with them. Kept the dinette area free in the evenings.

Thorn123
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Chasson flash 03
Base Vehicle: Ford transit 2.2
Subject:

· 
Posted: 28.02.2019  ·  #7
The only problem that I can see is, how do you stop the kid on the bottom, poking the kid on the top?
Looks a great piece of kit.

StephenC
Love's the Craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 28.02.2019  ·  #8
Don't worry the kid that will be on the bottom likes their sleep too much to be annoying the one on top.

Thorn123
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Chasson flash 03
Base Vehicle: Ford transit 2.2
Subject:

· 
Posted: 01.03.2019  ·  #9
Quote by StephenC

Don't worry the kid that will be on the bottom likes their sleep too much to be annoying the one on top.

Lucky you.
We have fixed bunks in our mh.
I had to fit a sheet of 6mm MDF under the top mattress to stop the poking.
It was causing my wife to turn into Agnes Brown !!!!

Blag
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: 1980 Coachmen Leprechaun
Base Vehicle: GMC G35 Vandura. 6.7 Litre Chevy V8
Subject:

· 
Posted: 01.03.2019  ·  #10
We had something similar in an old transit camper. Not all that easy to get in and out of, but for kiddos, it would be fine.

TommyS
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: EuraMobil
Base Vehicle: Fiat
Subject:

· 
Posted: 01.03.2019  ·  #11
I had hammock type bunks on an old VW with a pop up roof They tapered at the end so you could get up onto them. I slept in them a couple of times which didn’t help my claustrophobia. Lucky there was a vent above and I could pop my head up into that. We had them also in a Transit Autosleeper. My son wet on me one night when he was sleeping above me.

StephenC
Love's the Craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 30.08.2019  ·  #12
Update

Following a successful trial on a weekend away in Wales in June of a DIY bodge using the extra cushions required for our front fold out double bed to make a cab bed. We decided to pull the trigger on ordering the twin bunk version of the Cabbunk before our trip to France in July. I must say it's brilliant, had no issues for the three weeks we were away I even think the kids slept better than when we had the two of them sharing the fixed double bed in the rear of the van. They even slept through a Bastille day firework display that we didn't realise was going to happen in the park beside our van.

It's really quick to set up too. Below is a pic of the Cabbunk set up. I made up a couple of small pairs of curtains on wires that I clipped in place for both the top and bottom bunk after they were set up combined with a wrap around the front windows the kids were really snug in there and we could still use the dinette seat, table and kitchen and side door while they slept. we used two sets of curtains as then we could put the 3 year old to bed while the 6 year old got to stay up a little longer sitting/ lying in their bed talking to us.

It has also meant that we could leave the extra cushions, memory foam and other items we had to set up the front bed at home saving a lot of space. Usually we would store this on the fixed bed in the rear during the day. Now with the extra space the kids can use the rear bed as a play area on those bad days. And no more setting up the front bed each night which is alot more time consuming than the cabbunk. It also means herself can sneak off to bed earlier if she wants and not have to wait for the bed to set up.

Blag
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: 1980 Coachmen Leprechaun
Base Vehicle: GMC G35 Vandura. 6.7 Litre Chevy V8
Subject:

· 
Posted: 30.08.2019  ·  #13
Sounds like a complete success, thanks for the follow-up!

Ally
Founder
Homepage: motorhomecraic.com
My Motorhome: Lunar Roadstar 780
Base Vehicle: Fiat 2.8 JTD
Subject:

· 
Posted: 01.09.2019  ·  #14
That looks great.

Selected quotes for multi-quoting:   0

Registered users in this topic

Currently no registered users in this section

The statistic shows who was online during the last 5 minutes. Updated every 90 seconds.