Pulsing water

John4646
My Motorhome: Rimor
Base Vehicle: Fiat Ducato
Subject:

Pulsing water

· 
Posted: 18.08.2019  ·  #1
Hi everyone. Please help me with this problem. The water in the taps and shower keeps “pulsing” and I can hear the pump pulsing too at the same time. The water doesn’t actually stop flowing but you can see the reduction in the flow slightly when it pulses. My motor home is new so I’d imagine it’s not an “old pump” issue. Many thanks. John 4646

Thorn123
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Chasson flash 03
Base Vehicle: Ford transit 2.2
Subject:

Re: Pulsing water

· 
Posted: 18.08.2019  ·  #2
I am presuming that you have a pressurized system.
A small bit of lime scale could be trapped in the pressure switch allowing some of the pressurized water to leak back to the tank.
Alternatively there could be a filter fitted between the tank and pump which may be slightly blocked and not allowing the full flow to reach the pump.

mad max
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 18.08.2019  ·  #3
You might need one of theese

Example

eirebus
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Dethleffs Advantage
Base Vehicle: Fiat 2.3
Subject:

· 
Posted: 18.08.2019  ·  #4
Sounds like a blockage somewhere alright

Ally
Founder
Homepage: motorhomecraic.com
My Motorhome: Lunar Roadstar 780
Base Vehicle: Fiat 2.8 JTD
Subject:

· 
Posted: 18.08.2019  ·  #5
Ours has been doing that since we purchased it. It doesn't do it when showering which is weird.

I remember John (mad Max) telling me how to stop it, I kept meaning to ask him again and always forget once home again to do just that. I don't have to now 😁

mad max
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 18.08.2019  ·  #6
In my mh if you run the cold on its own it pulses slightly but add a bit of hot (all 3 taps are mixers) and the pulsing stops, that has worked for me for the last 7 years or so,

Might explain why Ally is not getting the pulsing in the shower,

Daffysparks

Subject:

· 
Posted: 18.08.2019  ·  #7
I changed my pump a year ago as the old fiamma one was very noisy. For the first time on our recent trip to Fahan, I noticed it pulsing if tap was only slightly on. Perfect when fully open. Never happened before, that time I let the tank fill before bleeding it out. Usually I bleed it as it fills. Don’t know if that made a difference

ntg
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Autotrail
Base Vehicle: Comanche
Subject:

· 
Posted: 18.08.2019  ·  #8
My thoughts are that as these pumps are pressure regulated then if the water is not flowing fast enough through the tape then the pump is attempting to cutting out through pressure.
Letting the water flow faster let's the pump continuously operate without it reaching cut out pressure.

kwh
Subject:

· 
Posted: 18.08.2019  ·  #9
hi newbie here I am a plumber by trade could be a bad pipe connection drawing in a small amount of air when pumping I am about to convert my van to a 50ltr 2kw 230v for water hook up so hot and cold will be direct when I go to main tap sites hope this helps....kev

Daffysparks

Subject:

· 
Posted: 18.08.2019  ·  #10
Quote by kwh

hi newbie here I am a plumber by trade could be a bad pipe connection drawing in a small amount of air when pumping I am about to convert my van to a 50ltr 2kw 230v for water hook up so hot and cold will be direct when I go to main tap sites hope this helps....kev

If it was a bad pipe connection that let in air, would it not also let water out

kwh
Subject:

· 
Posted: 18.08.2019  ·  #11
hi daffy no on low pressure systems a water leak would not always show but when the pump comes in at positive pressure away from the possible air entry point it could draw air in and cause the pump to pulsate hope this makes sense

R&N
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Burstner Lyseo 700 TD Auto
Base Vehicle: Fiat Ducato
Subject:

· 
Posted: 18.08.2019  ·  #12
You say it is a new motorhome, if it has a guarantee, they should fix it. Even though our MH was secondhand through a motorhome dealer We spent 6 months going back with things going wrong, till eventually things got sorted.

kwh
Subject:

· 
Posted: 18.08.2019  ·  #13
good call R&N their problem don't give up

joberg
Love's the Craic
My Motorhome: Rapido 696f
Base Vehicle: Fiat Ducato 2.3
Subject:

· 
Posted: 18.08.2019  ·  #14
Had a similar issue with our mh after refilling a drained tank. In ours there's a pipe that runs along the floor of the underneath the water tank to the drain valve. After filling tge tank , I had opened all the taps and the shower to bleed the system but the pump kept pulsing when I turned on any taps. After pulling my hair out for a few weeks, I opened the drain valve again ,
let it run until the water flowed without any air and hey presto pulsing in pump disappeared

ntg
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Autotrail
Base Vehicle: Comanche
Subject:

· 
Posted: 18.08.2019  ·  #15
I think that there is two different scenarios being discussed here, firstly there is the intermittent pulsing when everything is turned off. That will either indicate air in the system or a small leak which is letting the pressure drop and pump is pulsing to bring system back up to pressure. Secondly there is the pulsing when water is being pumped through the taps,this may be because water is not leaving the system quickly enough to allow the pump work at full flow and the pump is reaching cut off pressure.

Daffysparks

Subject:

· 
Posted: 18.08.2019  ·  #16
Quote by kwh

hi daffy no on low pressure systems a water leak would not always show but when the pump comes in at positive pressure away from the possible air entry point it could draw air in and cause the pump to pulsate hope this makes sense

Not to me tbh. But I have no reason to doubt you. But in my system there is a pipe that comes out of the bottom of the 100 litre tank, approximately 300 mm, straight into the pump and on to the taps. So with 100 liters of head, in my system there is no way air could get in, as far as I can see, without the water escaping

Daffysparks

Subject:

· 
Posted: 18.08.2019  ·  #17
Quote by ntg

I think that there is two different scenarios being discussed here, firstly there is the intermittent pulsing when everything is turned off. That will either indicate air in the system or a small leak which is letting the pressure drop and pump is pulsing to bring system back up to pressure. Secondly there is the pulsing when water is being pumped through the taps,this may be because water is not leaving the system quickly enough to allow the pump work at full flow and the pump is reaching cut off pressure.

I reckon you are spot on, probably my fault for hijacking the post, with my own small issue. 😙

kwh
Subject:

· 
Posted: 18.08.2019  ·  #18
hi daffy is your tank on the roof or underneath the mh

have I read a quote on this site you can lead a horse to water but a pencil has to be lead?

kwh
Subject:

· 
Posted: 18.08.2019  ·  #19
one I could suggest when a tap is open at full bore with the pump running hold your finger over the spout to build up pressure this should push air through hope this helps

Daffysparks

Subject:

· 
Posted: 18.08.2019  ·  #20
Quote by kwh

hi daffy is your tank on the roof or underneath the mh
It’s under the bed, but above the pump

have I read a quote on this site you can lead a horse to water but a pencil has to be lead?

You have indeed

davetherave
Love's the Craic
My Motorhome: Compass Avantgarde
Base Vehicle: Peugeot Boxer
Subject:

· 
Posted: 18.08.2019  ·  #21
Quote by ntg

My thoughts are that as these pumps are pressure regulated then if the water is not flowing fast enough through the tape then the pump is attempting to cutting out through pressure.
Letting the water flow faster let's the pump continuously operate without it reaching cut out pressure.

Maybe try turn on all the taps at once letting the water flow faster and not allowing the pressure to build up. This will test ntg’s theory.

Mark&Wendy
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Roller team 707
Base Vehicle: 2016 Ducato
Subject:

· 
Posted: 18.08.2019  ·  #22
I had the same problem until I fitted the expansion tank suggested by Mad Max.

Thorn123
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Chasson flash 03
Base Vehicle: Ford transit 2.2
Subject:

· 
Posted: 18.08.2019  ·  #23
Quote by Daffysparks
not to me tbh. But I have no reason to doubt you. But in my system there is a pipe that comes out of the bottom of the 100 litre tank, approximately 300 mm, straight into the pump and on to the taps. So with 100 liters of head, in my system there is no way air could get in, as far as I can see, without the water escaping

Our water is lifted from the top of tank, similar to a diesel tank.
Therefore a small crack could draw air but not leak water.

hastings
Craic'er
Subject:

· 
Posted: 19.08.2019  ·  #24
I can't remember where I read this, but some manufacturer recently had a problem where they left plastic swarf in the water tank; the tanks weren't cleaned and the swarf made it's way past the pump into the pipes causing poor water supply and broken pumps.
If the motorhome is new, why isn't it back with the dealer???

eirebus
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Dethleffs Advantage
Base Vehicle: Fiat 2.3
Subject:

· 
Posted: 19.08.2019  ·  #25
Quote by hastings

I can't remember where I read this, but some manufacturer recently had a problem where they left plastic swarf in the water tank; the tanks weren't cleaned and the swarf made it's way past the pump into the pipes causing poor water supply and broken pumps.
If the motorhome is new, why isn't it back with the dealer???

There's a wire mesh on the pump and this could clog with swarf and cause the pulsing

Blag
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: 1980 Coachmen Leprechaun
Base Vehicle: GMC G35 Vandura. 6.7 Litre Chevy V8
Subject:

· 
Posted: 05.09.2019  ·  #26
Quote by John4646

Hi everyone. Please help me with this problem. The water in the taps and shower keeps “pulsing” and I can hear the pump pulsing too at the same time. The water doesn’t actually stop flowing but you can see the reduction in the flow slightly when it pulses. My motor home is new so I’d imagine it’s not an “old pump” issue. Many thanks. John 4646

forum/topic.php?t=3525

Selected quotes for multi-quoting:   0

Registered users in this topic

Currently no registered users in this section

The statistic shows who was online during the last 5 minutes. Updated every 90 seconds.