My Motorhome: Dethleff Globetrotter Advantage Elegance
Base Vehicle: Fiat Ducato 2.8 2005
Subject:

Motorhome Vehicle category

· 
Posted: 14.08.2019  ·  #1
Hi All,

Short time member, first time poster.

Bought a Motorhome back in May and have a had a great summer touring the country with the family. Thanks to all for the useful information I have found in here.

Took out the logbook today to check the number of seats listed and I now have some concerns about the information. Apologies, this may have been covered before but a search didn't turn up any answers.

The logbook contains the below information:

F.1 GVW: 3500
J EU Vehicle Category: N1
J.1 VRT Vehicle Category: C
S.1 Number of seats: 8

2 areas of concern:
1. The category. Given that the category listed on the VRT cert is N1 and the weight is 3500KG, I assumed that I could drive on my B license. However the logbook has it as a category C vehicle. Should I be concerned about this? Do I need to get this updated or is this just due to the fact that it was manufactured in 2005? (I'm not sure if it is any connection but when I taxed for the year back in June it was €102).
2. The cert lists 8 seats however there are only 5 plus the driver seat with seat belts. Could this incorrect information have any implications anywhere?

Appreciate any assistance. Might save me a call to the Motor tax office.

Mark

eirebus
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Dethleffs Advantage
Base Vehicle: Fiat 2.3
Subject:

Re: Motorhome Vehicle category

· 
Posted: 14.08.2019  ·  #2
Pre c. 2010 they wrote anything that came into their heads on the logbooks, if you send it back into Shannon and explain your problem they will correct the info and send it back no problem

kabundi
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Burstner Harmony 680G
Base Vehicle: Fiat Ducato X290 2.3L 130bhp
Subject:

· 
Posted: 14.08.2019  ·  #3
Is N1 a Motorhome, always thought N1 was a commercial and a Motorhome was M1

ke0gh
Subject:

· 
Posted: 14.08.2019  ·  #4
Quote by kabundi

Is N1 a Motorhome, always thought N1 was a commercial and a Motorhome was M1

There seems to be a bit of debate over that one. Not sure if I should request that be changed also.

I’d be happy enough if the C is updated to B so there are no question marks over whether I can drive on my license.

Thanks @eirebus . I’ll contact Shannon and let you know how I get on.

<BM>
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Rimor Superbrig
Base Vehicle: Ford Transit
Subject:

· 
Posted: 14.08.2019  ·  #5
Mine is the same, the older VRT regime classified everything above 3,000kg unladen as N1 and AFAIK had a flat rate of VRT, something stupid like €50.

There was a sweet spot where you were >3000kgs unladen and <3500kgs GVW where you can drive it on a b license but could get the flat rate VRT. Any vehicle with an unladen weight below that, it was VRT by the old cc based system I think. Anything that hit the sweet spot for VRT will be down as C for VRT but as long as the MAM/GVW is 3500kgs or less you're good with the B licence.

There were a whole pile of Nissan pickups that had plates welded to the chassis by Nissan Ireland to hit the magic number for VRT, made for a pretty useless payload in a fairly heavy duty truck.

eirebus
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 15.08.2019  ·  #6
The N1 has to be changed to M1 also as you can run into problems with the speed cameras classing the van as commercial

Thorn123
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Chasson flash 03
Base Vehicle: Ford transit 2.2
Subject:

· 
Posted: 15.08.2019  ·  #7
Just to add to eurebus.
M1 entitles you to the car rate at toll booths while N1 is charged at commercial rate.

<BM>
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Rimor Superbrig
Base Vehicle: Ford Transit
Subject:

· 
Posted: 15.08.2019  ·  #8
Quote by Thorn123

Just to add to eurebus.
M1 entitles you to the car rate at toll booths while N1 is charged at commercial rate.

I've never had this problem, it's the motor tax category that links to the toll price.

ke0gh
Subject:

Update

· 
Posted: 15.08.2019  ·  #9
Just an update on the above. Shannon have advised me to post the cert to Revenue in Wexford with a list of requested changes. Hoping that this won’t turn into a long winded debacle.

Thorn123
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Chasson flash 03
Base Vehicle: Ford transit 2.2
Subject:

· 
Posted: 15.08.2019  ·  #10
Quote by ke0gh

Just an update on the above. Shannon have advised me to post the cert to Revenue in Wexford with a list of requested changes. Hoping that this won’t turn into a long winded debacle.

It shouldn't be a major issue.
After all revenue in Rosslare collected the vrt and in my mind were the ones responsible for verifying the vehicle class.

eirebus
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 15.08.2019  ·  #11
I sent mine to Shannon with the details I needed changing and it was done no problem, just give them your email address if they need clarification, they can get in touch with revenue if needed, easier than you can, they have all the info needed, just hate changing their mistakes

johnnymac
Love's the Craic
My Motorhome: Adria 660SP
Base Vehicle: Fiat Ducato 2.8
Subject:

· 
Posted: 18.08.2019  ·  #12
Quote by ke0gh

Hi All,

Short time member, first time poster.

Bought a Motorhome back in May and have a had a great summer touring the country with the family. Thanks to all for the useful information I have found in here.

Took out the logbook today to check the number of seats listed and I now have some concerns about the information. Apologies, this may have been covered before but a search didn't turn up any answers.

The logbook contains the below information:

F.1 GVW: 3500
J EU Vehicle Category: N1
J.1 VRT Vehicle Category: C
S.1 Number of seats: 8

2 areas of concern:
1. The category. Given that the category listed on the VRT cert is N1 and the weight is 3500KG, I assumed that I could drive on my B license. However the logbook has it as a category C vehicle. Should I be concerned about this? Do I need to get this updated or is this just due to the fact that it was manufactured in 2005? (I'm not sure if it is any connection but when I taxed for the year back in June it was €102).
2. The cert lists 8 seats however there are only 5 plus the driver seat with seat belts. Could this incorrect information have any implications anywhere?

Appreciate any assistance. Might save me a call to the Motor tax office.

Mark

Mine is 3500KG but there is no weight listed on the registration document it's also listed as N1 and it has Make Unspecified all other details are correct. Is it worth getting it changed to M1 and having the correct make and weight put on? Or am I better off just leaving it. All advice appreciated.

eirebus
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 18.08.2019  ·  #13
Is it worth getting it changed to M1 and having the correct make and weight put on

I would, it costs nothing and there can be problems with speed cameras

baguette
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Rapido 963F
Base Vehicle: Ducato 2.8 JTD Power
Subject:

· 
Posted: 18.08.2019  ·  #14
The Registration Certificate (Form RF 101) is often a work of fiction.
The best example I've seen was one which said the motorhome has a GVW of 1 kg, had 2 seats and the EU Category equal to a minibus.
So, it was recorded on the National Vehicle and Driver File (NVDF) as a minibus with a GVW of 1 kg and only 2 seats :P

On a serious note, you need to get the EU Category corrected to M1 because N1 indicates it's a goods vehicle which can cause complications with regards to tolls and other stuff where ANPR is used and there are different treatments for private passenger vehicles (motorhomes) and goods vehicles operating in the commercial environment.

Selected quotes for multi-quoting:   0

Registered users in this topic

Currently no registered users in this section

The statistic shows who was online during the last 5 minutes. Updated every 90 seconds.