Galldar
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Paddy the Pilote Galaxy 78MX
Base Vehicle: Citroen 2.5TD
Subject:

Making a mark

· 
Posted: 06.08.2019  ·  #1
After the rain last week there was a rust stain left on the drive, looks like rust being washed out but not sure where it is coming from. Only have the Camper a few weeks (our first) and didn't notice this before.
My mechanic expertise consists of watching lots of episodes of wheeler dealers, so not sure how worried I should be.

It's a 96 Ducato, should I rush out to the mechanics or is it ok for the season?

Ally
Founder
Homepage: motorhomecraic.com
My Motorhome: Lunar Roadstar 780
Base Vehicle: Fiat 2.8 JTD
Subject:

Re: Making a mark

· 
Posted: 06.08.2019  ·  #2
Has it overheated in the past?

panda
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Concerto 255
Base Vehicle: Fiat Ducato 9 spd Auto
Subject:

· 
Posted: 06.08.2019  ·  #3
Leak from water pump maybe?

Galldar
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 06.08.2019  ·  #4
Only had it a few weeks so not positive of its history. Serviced a few months ago, not long before we got it as far as I remember (service sticker is on driver door I think). Coolant is slightly under MIN mark but it hasn't changed. This mark only appears after heavy rain so I don't think it's a persistent leak, no marks on the drive up to last week. Parked in a friends drive over the weekend, no marks the first night but there was after the rain the next night :(

mickybo
My Motorhome: Winnebago Brave
Base Vehicle: Chevy P30
Subject:

· 
Posted: 06.08.2019  ·  #5
Rusty water is defo a water system leak.Flush out the whole system and put Bardhal water system leak sealer in system should cure it.

JJF
Eat's Sleep's craic
Homepage: MotorhomeCraic.com
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 06.08.2019  ·  #6
That age of Fiat/Peugeot/Citroen has a known issue of water being deposited directly from the wiper scuttle directly on top of the battery causing hydrochloride acid to be washed on to the battery tray and inner wing causing serious rust problems. If you’re getting this after rain then look at this right away, it’s a known issue cured by adding a tray on top of the battery which directs the water away from the battery. If there is serious corrosion then you also need to deal with it too..... I did on mine and it took quite a while to sort properly and put in a new battery tray.

Also, if it is a coolant leak then repair it properly.... those old girls need the cooling system running right.... radiators are known to leak and the system needs the pressurisation that is created to run properly in order to cool the system correctly.

sprinter
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Matilda 2 Pilote 703FP Explorateur
Base Vehicle: 3ltr 318 Sprinter Automatic
Subject:

Making a mark

· 
Posted: 06.08.2019  ·  #7
I'd go JJF direction before anything else. Check a couple of things.
Lift the bonnet look at water rad reservoirs and see if it is rusty coloured or cooling colour,follow the overflow pipe to see if it is aimed where you see the rusty water.
Get a watering can full and pour it slowly across the windscreen watch where it runs out to the ground ,or as JJF has advised is it spilling across the battery ,are the drain off holes for the windscreen blocked .
Show a few photos of the battery area

Chevy g20
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 06.08.2019  ·  #8
Mine has done similar. I had the chassis leg repaired and a new battery tray made last year. There mustn't have been enough paint put on it.
You must be logged in or your permissions are to low to see this Attachment(s).

Gavster
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: LMC Liberty 630R (LHD)
Base Vehicle: Fiat Ducato 2.5 TD
Subject:

· 
Posted: 06.08.2019  ·  #9
I have a 98 Ducato and the battery tray area had a lot of rust plus the parts below it were badly corroded. . I had the whole front taken off and welding done and had to get a new battery tray manufactured. In fairly short order the tray was rusting again despite being brand new and painted thoroughly. As other have said the rain gets in easily at the bottom of the windscreen. The only way I stopped it was to build a shelter for the Motorhome in end and the rain always seemed to get in. A good cover that would cover the windscreen and deflect the water well down the bonnet would be the next best thing.

Check for any drips under the dash at the right hand front seat side (mine is LHD) as my heater matrix dripped a little there but nothing externally. If it was a big coolant leak you would notice the coolant level very slow straight away.

Albert the Talbot
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Pilote Galaxy 92
Base Vehicle: Sprinter
Subject:

· 
Posted: 06.08.2019  ·  #10
One of the guys I know on the Talbot Owners Club covers his air vent with an old magnetic sign when the van is parked up and was well pleased with the result

Galldar
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 07.08.2019  ·  #11
Quote by JJF

That age of Fiat/Peugeot/Citroen has a known issue of water being deposited directly from the wiper scuttle directly on top of the battery causing hydrochloride acid to be washed on to the battery tray and inner wing causing serious rust problems. If you’re getting this after rain then look at this right away, it’s a known issue cured by adding a tray on top of the battery which directs the water away from the battery. If there is serious corrosion then you also need to deal with it too..... I did on mine and it took quite a while to sort properly and put in a new battery tray.

Also, if it is a coolant leak then repair it properly.... those old girls need the cooling system running right.... radiators are known to leak and the system needs the pressurisation that is created to run properly in order to cool the system correctly.

Seems to be the issue alright, the water is pooling on the driver side (RHD) and if it is lower than the passenger side where there looks to be a drain, it is spilling over and dripping down onto the battery. When I lifted the handle of the battery it was full of water.
Luckily the battery tray seems to be ok, I'll have a look at the inner wing later but if the tray is ok hopefully the wing hasn't been damaged.
I took the rubber seal that runs along the bottom of the windscreen under the bonnet off, it was loose on this side, cleaned it out and refitted, and I've installed a leak detection system (empty curry tray on top of the battery :) ) and will check later.
I'll definitely go about adding the cover for the battery to direct water away, if you have any photos of what you did I'll go into MacGyver mode and do the same :)

I'll also keep a close eye on coolant level, I've taken photos of it now to compare in future.

Thanks!

JJF
Eat's Sleep's craic
Homepage: MotorhomeCraic.com
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 07.08.2019  ·  #12
Yes, very common.
I made a battery cover that runs right back past the battery and past the front of it. Simply to do. Make from 4mm pvc corriboard (signmakers stuff) and fold a 50mm lip on 2 sides and secure corners with cable ties.... i painted mine black and held in situ with 2 small cable ties.
Just checked mine now, dry and clean with no corrosion and that was done 3 years ago.

Gavster
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: LMC Liberty 630R (LHD)
Base Vehicle: Fiat Ducato 2.5 TD
Subject:

· 
Posted: 07.08.2019  ·  #13
I put a cheap plastic flexible fuel funnel where the water seems to drop down to the battery area. It just wedged between the battery and the body work and any rainwater that fell into it simply ran down the funnel and bypassed the battery and fell onto the ground below and do not hit any metal at all. You would stick a bit of hose in the end of the flexible funnel to make extra sure. I also used some black insulating tape and ran it along the bottom of the windscreen. I read that tip somewhere and the tape has held and is barely noticeable.

Daffysparks

Subject:

· 
Posted: 07.08.2019  ·  #14
Quote by Galldar

Quote by JJF

and I've installed a leak detection system (empty curry tray on top of the battery :) ) and will check later.

Good plan, just make sure it’s not a metal curry tray, or you could be looking for all the water you can find to put the fire out, if the tray shorts from live to earth

Galldar
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 09.08.2019  ·  #15
That was some amount of rain last night. The (non-metallic :) ) leak detection system overflowed :)

Ally
Founder
Homepage: motorhomecraic.com
My Motorhome: Lunar Roadstar 780
Base Vehicle: Fiat 2.8 JTD
Subject:

· 
Posted: 09.08.2019  ·  #16
You need a 'run off' pipe 😁

Galldar
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 09.08.2019  ·  #17
Quote by Ally

You need a 'run off' pipe 😁

'Tis only a proof of concept 😁

Just need to convince the boss we really need that 3D printer we've been thinking about :)

Selected quotes for multi-quoting:   0

Registered users in this topic

Currently no registered users in this section

The statistic shows who was online during the last 5 minutes. Updated every 90 seconds.